The Student Room Group

LADS - I'm not sure how to work out what I don't know of GCSE math edexcel?

I was so absorbed in trying to do English that I forgot about maths revision I don't know how to see what I do and don't know it's gotta be done today.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by AspiringAccount
I was so absorbed in trying to do English that I forgot about maths revision I don't know how to see what I do and don't know it's gotta be done today.

I recommend trying past/practice papers. They are a great revision resource and will show you clearly what you need to work on.
Original post by Notnek
I recommend trying past/practice papers. They are a great revision resource and will show you clearly what you need to work on.

how do I match the questions I know nothing about with its topic though?
Reply 3
how do I match the questions I know nothing about with its topic though?

Most of the time it should be obvious hopefully? If there's a question you can't do and you have no idea what topic it comes from then please ask on TSR and we can help :smile:
Original post by Notnek
Most of the time it should be obvious hopefully? If there's a question you can't do and you have no idea what topic it comes from then please ask on TSR and we can help :smile:

One more thing. Should I do the past papers as a full set and then mark or mark them in between? Base your answer off the fact that i'm skint on time and need a 9.
One more thing. Should I do the past papers as a full set and then mark or mark them in between? Base your answer off the fact that i'm skint on time and need a 9.

me too. ive been focused on science this whole time and need at least a 7 to do alevel. i don’t know what techniques to use to revise 😓
Reply 6

I don’t think there’s a big difference. If you have time to try a whole paper then that would be ideal.

If you’re finding that there are topics that you know nothing about then a 9 is sounding a bit ambitious...
Original post by Notnek
I don’t think there’s a big difference. If you have time to try a whole paper then that would be ideal.

If you’re finding that there are topics that you know nothing about then a 9 is sounding a bit ambitious...

what would you do in my situation? I got a maths tutor that's coming on Saturday and sunday for an hour, i'm lost as it stands.
Reply 8
what would you do in my situation? I got a maths tutor that's coming on Saturday and sunday for an hour, i'm lost as it stands.

Can I ask why you need a grade 9?
Original post by Notnek
Can I ask why you need a grade 9?

So I'm homeschooled which costed my dad a little over 6 grand on top of that he pays my tutor £40 for my lessons I went into the maths exam in june of 2018 and flopped it with a 4. After finding I wasted a sh*t ton of money I felt real bad. So when my dad gave me another chance to resit it in june of this year I jumped at it cause I wanted to do A-level maths now i'm aware you need a 6 but I want a 9 cause of the guilt left from the money I wasted. As of now I got C's in IGCSE chem and bio which is fine but I really wanted a B in one of them so I pushed myself for the English's and math's at the start but thought I could get away with spending more time on English. Now i'm here and i'm panicking settling for doing past papers cause that's all I got right now.

The endgame is a btec in computer forensics and A-level maths on the side.
Reply 10
So I'm homeschooled which costed my dad a little over 6 grand on top of that he pays my tutor £40 for my lessons I went into the maths exam in june of 2018 and flopped it with a 4. After finding I wasted a sh*t ton of money I felt real bad. So when my dad gave me another chance to resit it in june of this year I jumped at it cause I wanted to do A-level maths now i'm aware you need a 6 but I want a 9 cause of the guilt left from the money I wasted. As of now I got C's in IGCSE chem and bio which is fine but I really wanted a B in one of them so I pushed myself for the English's and math's at the start but thought I could get away with spending more time on English. Now i'm here and i'm panicking settling for doing past papers cause that's all I got right now.

The endgame is a btec in computer forensics and A-level maths on the side.

I think it’s a very bad idea to pressure yourself to get a 9. I don’t know anything about your ability but it seems very unlikely from what you’ve told me so far. Focus on getting a 6 for now and if you find over the next few days that it’s going well then target something higher. I can understand the guilt but your future is much more important. Here’s what I would do if I had a target grade and was willing to put in loads of effort in order to get it.

Set up a revision timetable and stick to it - you’re going to need to work most of the day but of course give yourself breaks.

Make sure you have a textbook, revision guide, practice papers. If you don’t have these then buy them.

First try a paper in full and mark it accurately. List all the topics that you need to work on and revisit the simpler questions in your textbook.

Use the mathsgenie website for videos and resources.

If there is anything that you don’t understand then don’t ignore it. If there’s no one to help then post your question in this forum and someone should get back to you quite quickly.

If you care enough about this then you’re probably going to need to work harder than you ever have before. But it’s been done before. We are here to help you if you need any help/encouragement. Good luck :smile:
Original post by Notnek
I think it’s a very bad idea to pressure yourself to get a 9. I don’t know anything about your ability but it seems very unlikely from what you’ve told me so far. Focus on getting a 6 for now and if you find over the next few days that it’s going well then target something higher. I can understand the guilt but your future is much more important. Here’s what I would do if I had a target grade and was willing to put in loads of effort in order to get it.

Set up a revision timetable and stick to it - you’re going to need to work most of the day but of course give yourself breaks.

Make sure you have a textbook, revision guide, practice papers. If you don’t have these then buy them.

First try a paper in full and mark it accurately. List all the topics that you need to work on and revisit the simpler questions in your textbook.

If there is anything that you don’t understand then don’t ignore it. If there’s no one to help then post your question in this forum and someone should get back to you quite quickly.

If you care enough about this then you’re probably going to need to work harder than you ever have before. But it’s been done before. We are here to help you if you need any help/encouragement. Good luck :smile:

I'm on it thanks.
Original post by Notnek

Wait aren't there parts of the spec excluded from paper 1 but included in 2 and 3?
Reply 13
Wait aren't there parts of the spec excluded from paper 1 but included in 2 and 3?

Anything could be examined in any of the three papers - that’s how it’s been designed. The first paper is non-calculator and so certain topics may be more likely to appear in that one but there aren’t many.
Original post by Notnek
Anything could be examined in any of the three papers - that’s how it’s been designed. The first paper is non-calculator and so certain topics may be more likely to appear in that one but there aren’t many.

Got it
Original post by Notnek

do you think that corbettmaths is worth using instead of maths genie, he's got a checklist for higher here.
https://www.tes.com/teaching-resource/corbettmaths-gcse-revision-checklists-11276000
I was thinking I spend tommorow going through the whole thing what do you think?
I know some stuff but I don't know how to specify what I know. The past papers did show me some areas I was screwed in so i'd highlight em in orange on said checklist. Then on Saturday i'd skip November 2017 and go straight into june 2018 to test my skill and maybe go for an online mock on mme.

Thoughts.....
Reply 16
do you think that corbettmaths is worth using instead of maths genie, he's got a checklist for higher here.
https://www.tes.com/teaching-resource/corbettmaths-gcse-revision-checklists-11276000
I was thinking I spend tommorow going through the whole thing what do you think?
I know some stuff but I don't know how to specify what I know. The past papers did show me some areas I was screwed in so i'd highlight em in orange on said checklist. Then on Saturday i'd skip November 2017 and go straight into june 2018 to test my skill and maybe go for an online mock on mme.

Thoughts.....

Corbettmaths is also good. Try different websites and find the one that you prefer. Your exam plan sounds good. I made my own checklist with links to questions that you may find useful:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5120414
Original post by Notnek
Corbettmaths is also good. Try different websites and find the one that you prefer. Your exam plan sounds good. I made my own checklist with links to questions that you may find useful:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5120414

the corbett maths checklist has just over a 100 topics when you're one has a little over 90. What grade did you get with your checklist? I'm running on borrowed time and your one seems shorter so I might as well give it a go.
Reply 18
the corbett maths checklist has just over a 100 topics when you're one has a little over 90. What grade did you get with your checklist? I'm running on borrowed time and your one seems shorter so I might as well give it a go.

Some topics can be split into subtopics which would be why some checklists are longer. I did my GCSEs a while ago - I’m a teacher now.
Original post by Notnek
Some topics can be split into subtopics which would be why some checklists are longer. I did my GCSEs a while ago - I’m a teacher now.

Ok I finalized my plan - i'm gonna do the a bit of everything paper on corbett maths and assess what I do and don't know mark it down on the checklist look through his videos and then go for some questons. Then hit the 2018 past papers.

Thoughts...

Oh and congrats on becoming a teacher.

Quick Reply

Latest