The Student Room Group

Can school force a boy to choose another optional GCSE?

Hello,
My boy is in Year 9, he has already done one optional GCSE, his school has 4 optional GCSE. He has already chosen the 3 optional ones. But, now the school is pushing him to choose another optional, when he would prefer to have this free time for studying the rest of the materials. Can the school force my son to chose another optional GCSE, when he has already done?.
Thanks
Original post by ana.gonzalez
Hello,
My boy is in Year 9, he has already done one optional GCSE, his school has 4 optional GCSE. He has already chosen the 3 optional ones. But, now the school is pushing him to choose another optional, when he would prefer to have this free time for studying the rest of the materials. Can the school force my son to chose another optional GCSE, when he has already done?.
Thanks

Sorry I'm unclear on your question. Has he taken one GCSE already [if so, why?} He cannot have free lessons in Year 10 - he would need to be supervised in a class. Is he studying something on his own?

[Background: one of my previous roles was i/c KS4 which included option choice process]
Reply 2
No they can’t. Just write a letter explaining your reasoning. If they continue to press it take it to the local educational authority.
He sat an pass one GCSE, the school recommend to him to do, in order that in Year 11 he can have one GSCE less to do, but now the school says that he needs to choose another GCSE, he can't stay at class without doing anything. So, why did my boy sit an exam if now he needs to get a new one more? Can he do the best of his time an study for the rest of the GSCE?

Original post by Muttley79
Sorry I'm unclear on your question. Has he taken one GCSE already [if so, why?} He cannot have free lessons in Year 10 - he would need to be supervised in a class. Is he studying something on his own?

[Background: one of my previous roles was i/c KS4 which included option choice process]
Original post by ana.gonzalez
He sat an pass one GCSE, the school recommend to him to do, in order that in Year 11 he can have one GSCE less to do, but now the school says that he needs to choose another GCSE, he can't stay at class without doing anything. So, why did my boy sit an exam if now he needs to get a new one more? Can he do the best of his time an study for the rest of the GSCE?

You should have refused to let him sit a GCSE early - universities don;t like it and the grade has to go on UCAS form.

He'll have to at least choose something to study in that lesson slot - sorry, the school need to answer your questions, not me. In my view they have not been very honest with you and have given you poor advice.

A compromise might be he needs to study the subject but not take the final exam - but that seems a lot of work for no GCSE at the end. What are the subjects involved? You may prefer to message me if you are concerned about identifying your son :smile:
Reply 5
Many years ago when I took mine, the school forced us to take extra CSEs to fill up the time table. They were only allowed to have so many study lessons in said table, and I would have preferred to do more, but was forced to take a further CSE to leave just 1.

I did choose games to be one of my lessons, so that I had exercise to de-stress, at that time there wasn't a PE GCSE which was a shame as I would have passed it easily. It might be worth seeing if there is an 'easy' subject your boy would like to take just to fill it in. All GCSEs work in a sort of way when Universities take a look at taking on board students. It could be a hobby subject or a side line.
You should have refused to let him sit a GCSE early - universities don;t like it and the grade has to go on UCAS form.

Slightly off-topic, but may I ask why? I sat ICT when I was 12 so this is news to me.
Original post by lukeramsden
Slightly off-topic, but may I ask why? I sat ICT when I was 12 so this is news to me.

ICT is not highly regarded at all either - your grade will need to be declared on UCAS. I hope it was a good grade ...

Universities like to see you sit them all at the same time ie you can cope with the academic load.
ICT is not highly regarded at all either - your grade will need to be declared on UCAS. I hope it was a good grade ...

Universities like to see you sit them all at the same time ie you can cope with the academic load.

Yeah ICT was a crap exam, thankfully they got rid of it now. Got a B, I was 1% off of an A :frown:.
Original post by lukeramsden
Yeah ICT was a crap exam, thankfully they got rid of it now. Got a B, I was 1% off of an A :frown:.

Yes and that letter grade will stand out among the new number grades.

Quick Reply

Latest