The Student Room Group

Transferring Uni in Second Year?

Hi,
I'm currently a first year at Royal Holloway studying Psychology. For a few reasons I'm thinking of transferring uni, and was wondering if I can do this? I really want to go straight into second year, and not resit first year at a new uni. I'm currently on track for at least a 2:1.
Does anyone know what unis might accept me, and allow me to continue from second year onwards? I'd like to stay at a fairly high-ranking uni.
Yes, I have done it, it will depend on the uni. I know Bath does not, York does not either and many others do not. Where do you want to go? Durham does if you want to set your sights high.
Reply 2
Unfortuantely I doubt Durham would take me. I had a multitude of issues at A-Level (ie, leaving home, bad college, etc) so I only got ABB + one A at AS. Their requirements for Psych are AAA. Unless they'd consider my uni grades over my A-levels, I'd be stuffed. That's also why I'm concerned. I missed out at A level because of bad situation (I had an offer from Cambridge) and I feel like I'm suffering for that now.
Original post by random_matt
Yes, I have done it, it will depend on the uni. I know Bath does not, York does not either and many others do not. Where do you want to go? Durham does if you want to set your sights high.
Original post by Mo_Barker
Unfortuantely I doubt Durham would take me. I had a multitude of issues at A-Level (ie, leaving home, bad college, etc) so I only got ABB + one A at AS. Their requirements for Psych are AAA. Unless they'd consider my uni grades over my A-levels, I'd be stuffed. That's also why I'm concerned. I missed out at A level because of bad situation (I had an offer from Cambridge) and I feel like I'm suffering for that now.

Where would you want to go then? You will have to ask the universities if they accept transfers, whoever they maybe. They will at the very least want a 2:1 and sometimes a hint of similarity between modules. Not always though, some like Durham pretty much only care about high grades in statistics/research method modules.
Reply 4
Ah, I don't really know. I love Bristol, but again I doubt they'd take me unless I could explain my circumstances around my A levels. Of my 10 assignments this year I've gotten like 6 firsts, so now that I have decent teaching I'm doing well! I think I just have issues currently because of the people I met this year being not very nice, and the whole feeling of this being my second choice, and not necessarily where I wanted to be.
Where would you want to go then? You will have to ask the universities if they accept transfers, whoever they maybe. They will at the very least want a 2:1 and sometimes a hint of similarity between modules. Not always though, some like Durham pretty much only care about high grades in statistics/research method modules.
Ah, I don't really know. I love Bristol, but again I doubt they'd take me unless I could explain my circumstances around my A levels. Of my 10 assignments this year I've gotten like 6 firsts, so now that I have decent teaching I'm doing well! I think I just have issues currently because of the people I met this year being not very nice, and the whole feeling of this being my second choice, and not necessarily where I wanted to be.

Bristol you will have to ask, they won't care what modules you got first in, they will likely want to see 65% on your first year transcript. Exactly what Durham wanted from me and worked out fine. Some universities will also be anal on GCSE and A-level grades on top, even though it hardly has any relevance considering you have just done undergrad.
Reply 6
I had a look and they do offer, as long as you meet a few requirements. Though, I just saw they had an outreach programme which would make my A levels just about good enough to get in. I should hopefully be on a 65 overall depending on exams.
Bristol you will have to ask, they won't care what modules you got first in, they will likely want to see 65% on your first year transcript. Exactly what Durham wanted from me and worked out fine. Some universities will also be anal on GCSE and A-level grades on top, even though it hardly has any relevance considering you have just done undergrad.
I had a look and they do offer, as long as you meet a few requirements. Though, I just saw they had an outreach programme which would make my A levels just about good enough to get in. I should hopefully be on a 65 overall depending on exams.

Go for it then, unsure if they are still accepting applicants, so contact them asap. I know Lancaster are still taking applicants if you fancy that.
Reply 8
I've emailed them to ask! Lancaster is another option, although I'm not sure I'd like it there, based on what my friend said.
Go for it then, unsure if they are still accepting applicants, so contact them asap. I know Lancaster are still taking applicants if you fancy that.
I've emailed them to ask! Lancaster is another option, although I'm not sure I'd like it there, based on what my friend said.

One of the best in the country and has super high student satisfaction scores, must be doing something right. I wouldn't dismiss it, it seems fairly easy to get into, I turned down two offers from them so far, lol.
Reply 10
One of the best in the country and has super high student satisfaction scores, must be doing something right. I wouldn't dismiss it, it seems fairly easy to get into, I turned down two offers from them so far, lol.

Easy to get into doesn't mean good lol. I'd love RoHo is it did
Easy to get into doesn't mean good lol. I'd love RoHo is it did

Well, I wish you luck nevertheless.
Hey
I was thinking about transferring to Lancaster with second year entry and was wondering if it's a good choice? I've heard that the vice chancellor left and Idk how's that's gonna impact the uni? Any advice is helpful.
Hi,
I'm currently a first year at Royal Holloway studying Psychology. For a few reasons I'm thinking of transferring uni, and was wondering if I can do this? I really want to go straight into second year, and not resit first year at a new uni. I'm currently on track for at least a 2:1.
Does anyone know what unis might accept me, and allow me to continue from second year onwards? I'd like to stay at a fairly high-ranking uni.
Original post by Alexandraciolan
Hey
I was thinking about transferring to Lancaster with second year entry and was wondering if it's a good choice? I've heard that the vice chancellor left and Idk how's that's gonna impact the uni? Any advice is helpful.

Ask them, it is July so better hurry up. Who cares if he or she has left.
I just don't get how it has such a high ranking and it's so easy to get into? I don't wanna miss something and end up making a bad decision
Ask them, it is July so better hurry up. Who cares if he or she has left.
Original post by Alexandraciolan
I just don't get how it has such a high ranking and it's so easy to get into? I don't wanna miss something and end up making a bad decision

You can apply that question to all universities, stop focusing on ranking where no one really cares for them.

Quick Reply

Latest