The Student Room Group

Sociology and Criminology Degree

Anyone studying BSc Sociology and Criminology at University of Salford?
Or BA Criminology and Sociology/BSc Criminology and Sociology with Quantitative Methods at Manchester Metropolitan University?

If so, I have a few questions to ask as I am quite worried.
1) Do you have to do Oral Assessments and do you get picked on during lectures? I am asking this because I suffer from anxiety and if I have to do any of them I would end up having a panic attack. I would only be able to do an oral assessment in front of a lecturer. If you do have to do them, is it possible that I could talk to my lecturer and explain my problem?

2) What is the difference between a BA and BSc course? I know that BA stands for Bachelors of Art and BSc stands for Bachelors of Science, the explanation I have had so far is that BSc is more science based, but I still don't understand how the courses differ.
Anyone thinking about studying BSc Criminology and Sociology at the University of Salford?
OR
BA Criminology and Sociology or BSc Criminology and Sociology with Quantitative Methods at the Manchester Metropolitan University?
In 2020.
I've merged your two almost identical threads, and moved it to the Social and Political Sciences forum. :smile:
Thank you!
Original post by PhoenixFortune
I've merged your two almost identical threads, and moved it to the Social and Political Sciences forum. :smile:
Hi there,
I am about to graduate from Salford's Criminology and Sociology course.

1) Oral Assessments are few and far between. They tell you well in advance, and you can request to present the project to just the lecturer if this helps. As for getting picked on in lectures, this is rare, as many lecturers prefer a natural progression of answers, rather than forcing someone on the spot. Lecturers are fantastic in terms of mental health and anxieties, and are very respectful and accommodating.

2) The difference between a BA and BSc course is, as you said, what the course is classed as. All Crim and Soc courses tend to be BSc because they are a science.

I hope this helps!
Reply 5
I'm currently studying a BA (Hons) criminology at MMU, firstly there are presentations involved in the second year, they are very understanding with anxiety you normally do a group presentation, in third year it will be your own presentation.

secondly, a BA is a bachelor of arts, a BS is a bachelor of science, the BS is more research based which will include qualitative amd quantitative methods of research you can opt out after your 2nd year, i opted out as i dislike it.
Anyone studying BA (Hons) Criminology & Sociology at Liverpool John Moores University, Edge Hill University or Liverpool Hope University?

If so, I have a question to ask as I am quite worried.
- Do you have to do Oral Assessments and do you get picked on during lectures? I am asking this because I suffer from anxiety and if I have to do any of them I would end up having a panic attack. I would only be able to do an oral assessment in front of a lecturer. If you do have to do them, is it possible that I could talk to my lecturer and explain my problem?
What would you say is better BA or BSc and how should I decide which one to choose?
Original post by puta91
I'm currently studying a BA (Hons) criminology at MMU, firstly there are presentations involved in the second year, they are very understanding with anxiety you normally do a group presentation, in third year it will be your own presentation.

secondly, a BA is a bachelor of arts, a BS is a bachelor of science, the BS is more research based which will include qualitative amd quantitative methods of research you can opt out after your 2nd year, i opted out as i dislike it.

Original post by ChrisLowe1994
Hi there,
I am about to graduate from Salford's Criminology and Sociology course.

1) Oral Assessments are few and far between. They tell you well in advance, and you can request to present the project to just the lecturer if this helps. As for getting picked on in lectures, this is rare, as many lecturers prefer a natural progression of answers, rather than forcing someone on the spot. Lecturers are fantastic in terms of mental health and anxieties, and are very respectful and accommodating.

2) The difference between a BA and BSc course is, as you said, what the course is classed as. All Crim and Soc courses tend to be BSc because they are a science.

I hope this helps!
@confuseddddd I have moved your thread from University Life to Social and Political Sciences forum, and merged it with your other threads.

Please do not make duplicate threads across TSR, as this is against the rules. If you want more responses, you can bump your thread so that it moves to the top of the forum again.
:bump:
Hi, I made a new thread because I asked a question to students of a different university, but after you’ve merged it, I might get a response later
Original post by PhoenixFortune
@confuseddddd I have moved your thread from University Life to Social and Political Sciences forum, and merged it with your other threads.

Please do not make duplicate threads across TSR, as this is against the rules. If you want more responses, you can bump your thread so that it moves to the top of the forum again.
:bump:

Original post by confuseddddd
Hi, I made a new thread because I asked a question to students of a different university, but after you’ve merged it, I might get a response later

If you have a question about a specific university, you can post a new thread in that university's forum (you had posted your latest thread in University Life, which is typically for more general queries).

If you have subject-specific questions (that don't necessarily relate to a specific university), this is the forum for that. :smile:
Hi @confuseddddd,

Thanks for reaching out. You can find all the information about BSc (Hons) Criminology and Sociology here: https://beta.salford.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate/criminology-and-sociology

In regards to the oral assessments, as @ChrisLowe1994 has mentioned, lecturing staff at our university are very understanding. You would be able to speak to your tutor directly and inform them of your concerns, and they will do their best to make you feel at ease. If you would like to send us a DM, I can arrange to set you up to contact for the relevant academics before you make your decision if this helps!

We have a student support system at the University of Salford who help with a variety of different concerns which come with university life. You can find out about all of their services here: https://www.salford.ac.uk/askus. Their offices are open 8:00am - 8:00pm Monday to Thursday and 8:00am - 5:00pm Friday and are based on our Peel Park campus, this means you can take a visit whenever you need to.

It is important that you choose the right university and the right course for you. If you would like any help with anything please don't hesitate to send us a DM if you would prefer and we will do our very best to answer any questions you may have about the University of Salford.

Hope this helps!

India - Student Social Media Assistant

(Original post by confuseddddd)
Anyone studying BSc Sociology and Criminology at University of Salford?
Or BA Criminology and Sociology/BSc Criminology and Sociology with Quantitative Methods at Manchester Metropolitan University?

If so, I have a few questions to ask as I am quite worried.
1) Do you have to do Oral Assessments and do you get picked on during lectures? I am asking this because I suffer from anxiety and if I have to do any of them I would end up having a panic attack. I would only be able to do an oral assessment in front of a lecturer. If you do have to do them, is it possible that I could talk to my lecturer and explain my problem?

2) What is the difference between a BA and BSc course? I know that BA stands for Bachelors of Art and BSc stands for Bachelors of Science, the explanation I have had so far is that BSc is more science based, but I still don't understand how the courses differ.
yes I'm thinking about this

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending