The Student Room Group

National 5 Computing Science 2018-19

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Strelzo
Ay @Kubsyy, how's your studying going for computing science? I'm starting today, therefore I have a week before the exam; should be well more than enough to memorise everything.

Hello. My studying for Computing is going very good :smile:, however my teacher was not teaching us the course (we done like 1/4 of the course with long countless talks!) but I still hope I will pass at A atleast. I hope you pass too :smile:.
Original post by Kubsyy
Hello. My studying for Computing is going very good :smile:, however my teacher was not teaching us the course (we done like 1/4 of the course with long countless talks!) but I still hope I will pass at A atleast. I hope you pass too :smile:.

Ah I see, man I hate crap teachers, do you have a good set of notes that you can study from at least? Sure you'll be on track for a high A :thumbsup:.
Original post by Strelzo
Ah I see, man I hate crap teachers, do you have a good set of notes that you can study from at least? Sure you'll be on track for a high A :thumbsup:.

Yes I do :smile:. I’m almost finishing Website stuff and then when I finish revising from book I’ll probably recite the notes and do flashcards :smile:.
Original post by Kubsyy
Yes I do :smile:. I’m almost finishing Website stuff and then when I finish revising from book I’ll probably recite the notes and do flashcards :smile:.

Awesome, and thanks for the follow btw 😌, returned the favour 🙃.
quick question:

is mantissa the number after the decimal point?
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by dude101010
quick question:

The mantissa represents all of the significant digits - have a look at this page for an example: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Significand
(edited 4 years ago)
quick question:

Floating point notation is represented as:

Mantissa x10^Exponent

For example:

0.00393874 x10^4

Mantissa = 0.00393874

Exponent = 4
thanks. in this paper https://www.sqa.org.uk/pastpapers/papers/papers/2018/N5_Computing-Science_QP_2018.pdf
Q4b the answer is
Mantissa 7652
Exponent - 3
answers: https://www.sqa.org.uk/pastpapers/papers/instructions/2018/mi_N5_Computing-Science_mi_2018.pdf

I don't get why its 7652 and not 0.7652
Original post by Strelzo
Floating point notation is represented as:

Mantissa x10^Exponent

For example:

0.00393874 x10^4

Mantissa = 0.00393874

Exponent = 4

We were told that it doesn't matter if you put the 0. But then again, looking at it from a mathematical perspective, the scientific notation form never starts with a 0; to represent 0's, you would have it as Mantissa x10^ -Exponent. I will ask my teacher to clear that up just in case, but he did say it was ok in the beginning.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Strelzo
We were told that it doesn't matter if you put the 0. But then again, looking at it from a mathematical perspective, the scientific notation form never starts with a 0; to represent 0's, you would have it as Mantissa x10^ -Exponent. I will ask my teacher to clear that up just in case, but he did say it was ok in the beginning.

thank you
See for the question 'Using a design technique of your choice ' If i choose sudocode and I write in Visual Basic do I get marks for that ?
Original post by David20CM
See for the question 'Using a design technique of your choice ' If i choose sudocode and I write in Visual Basic do I get marks for that ?

For future reference btw Pseudocode is spelled like that, because you'll end up losing marks for that. And Visual Basic is an implementation technique; my choice of preference as well, however, they just account it to Pseudocode. I write Visual Basic everywhere it says "using a design technique of your choice"; so much easier in my opinion, and it gives you more in-depth knowledge of how it actually codes like; when you get questions that ask you to "Refine Step ...", you're on top of the game.
Original post by Strelzo
For future reference btw Pseudocode is spelled like that, because you'll end up losing marks for that. And Visual Basic is an implementation technique; my choice of preference as well, however, they just account it to Pseudocode. I write Visual Basic everywhere it says "using a design technique of your choice"; so much easier in my opinion, and it gives you more in-depth knowledge of how it actually codes like; when you get questions that ask you to "Refine Step ...", you're on top of the game.

So it's okay what I said ?

It's another thing I'll add on my list to double check when I go in for a pre-exam Masterclass. I use it, and have got all the marks for it in class tests, so I'd assume so; but I'll let you know on the 21st May to be 100% certain.
So for the 'design questions' you can either do flow charts, pseudocode or structured diagrams?
Also what do you guys think is the easiest from them?
Original post by -MikeMike-
So for the 'design questions' you can either do flow charts, pseudocode or structured diagrams?

I think structure diagram is easy, since there’s not a lot of symbols and it’s like a tree branch so I’ll use that.
Original post by -MikeMike-

Graphical design notations take the longest; Pseudocode is very easy and saves a lot of time, plus you won't need to memorise all of the symbols and their purpose.

I am not 100% sure but as far as i am aware if the question says using a design technique of your choice , you need to do pseudocode , flow chart etc. If it says a programming language of your choice you use visual basic or whatever you used.
Good luck with the exam tomorrow! :smile:
Original post by Labrador99
Good luck with the exam tomorrow! :smile:

:thumbsup:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending