The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Lemur14
That sounds like a pretty good method if people can stop themselves from looking at the earlier parts :yep:

This has been given me an Idea... I think I might try changing some old spec c3/4 questions into new spec questions and compile them in a thread.
Original post by Notnek
This has been given me an Idea... I think I might try changing some old spec c3/4 questions into new spec questions and compile them in a thread.

I like this idea :yep:
Do we need to learn the proof for trig addition rule? Its in the textbook but I've never seen a question on it.
Anyone have the edexcel mock papers? Thanks in advance!
Reply 44
Yeah im also unsure of this
Original post by muqeet137
Do we need to learn the proof for trig addition rule? Its in the textbook but I've never seen a question on it.
Reply 45
Original post by msbx
Yeah im also unsure of this

The spec says:

“understand geometrical proofs of these formulae.“

So I would recommend learning them. I’m not sure if you’d asked to write the proof from scratch but I still recommend learning them in case they ask you a question that requires understanding the proofs.
Reply 46
Do you know any other proof we should learn for sure?
Proof of geometric and arithmetic series?
Original post by Notnek
The spec says:

“understand geometrical proofs of these formulae.“

So I would recommend learning them. I’m not sure if you’d asked to write the proof from scratch but I still recommend learning them in case they ask you a question that requires understanding the proofs.
Original post by msbx
Do you know any other proof we should learn for sure?
Proof of geometric and arithmetic series?

yh you should definitely learn those ones
yh you should definitely learn those ones

Ughhhh really
Original post by Fighter365
Ughhhh really

yh the proof for geometric and arithmetic series aren't as bad compared to the addition rule proof lol.
yh the proof for geometric and arithmetic series aren't as bad compared to the addition rule proof lol.

If they ask a question on that I will admit defeat 😂
Reply 51
Guys on the tailored tutor's youtube channel they did a livestream which has been uploaded about predictions and common topics that come up and they talk about grade boundaries. Its a pretty long video but I found it really useful especially when thinking about how I'm gonna structure my revision.
Original post by msbx
Guys on the tailored tutor's youtube channel they did a livestream which has been uploaded about predictions and common topics that come up and they talk about grade boundaries. Its a pretty long video but I found it really useful especially when thinking about how I'm gonna structure my revision.

Summarise?
Reply 53
https://tailoredtutors.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/MATHS-PREDICTIONS.pdf

This was one of the main things they went through which was how many marks is on each topic so you can see which topics to really focus on. They also said how when doing past papers you should try and find at least 5 mistakes before you actually mark it. And then after you mark it go redo the paper the next day or whenever until you get around 90% on it. Some other topics they said might come up are Sketching inequalities, modulus , explanation/written questions, proof by contridiction, finding exact values for trig and some other topics but mostly summarised in the PDF. They also spoke about grade boundaries but it was a pretty long explanation obviously because no one actually knows but said around low to mid 70% for an A ( they really made clear how they dont know for sure about all of this but this is just how they analysed everything from the past).
Summarise?
Original post by msbx
https://tailoredtutors.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/MATHS-PREDICTIONS.pdf

This was one of the main things they went through which was how many marks is on each topic so you can see which topics to really focus on. They also said how when doing past papers you should try and find at least 5 mistakes before you actually mark it. And then after you mark it go redo the paper the next day or whenever until you get around 90% on it. Some other topics they said might come up are Sketching inequalities, modulus , explanation/written questions, proof by contridiction, finding exact values for trig and some other topics but mostly summarised in the PDF. They also spoke about grade boundaries but it was a pretty long explanation obviously because no one actually knows but said around low to mid 70% for an A ( they really made clear how they dont know for sure about all of this but this is just how they analysed everything from the past).

Okay thanks

70% for an A seems high when it was 62% last year
Who even took the exams last year?
And any predictions for an A*?
I feel around 80% overall since every successive year papers get easier
Original post by SkylineS4
Reply 57
In the video they had some explanation for why it will be higher than last year but i forgot exactly what they said
Okay thanks

70% for an A seems high when it was 62% last year

In the video they said that it should be aprox around 9% higher than an A , whatever the A will be
Original post by SkylineS4
Reply 58
can someone explain the whole further maths cohort thing last year that made the grade boundaries low? surely if loads of further maths students took the exam last yr the grade boundaries should've been higher not lower
Original post by n.345
can someone explain the whole further maths cohort thing last year that made the grade boundaries low? surely if loads of further maths students took the exam last yr the grade boundaries should've been higher not lower

Exactly, if a normal cohort sat the exam surely they would be lower...

Latest