The Student Room Group

How many poems should I learn for AQA GCSE English Lit paper 2?

Literally just started learning poems, I'd say I know Ozymandias fairly well so i could compare it to My Last Duchess (which will probably come up). Going to do MLD, Kamikaze, SOTL, Remains, and Tissue. Is this a good idea or should I just learn all of them? If something random comes up in the exam I could improvise well by analysing it like unseen poetry and comparing its themes to a poem I have learnt. Is this a good idea or should I learn all of them? I know an Inspector Calls fairly well so I don't need to worry about that as much and I need to focus on my RE and Maths as they are before my English exam. Thanks!
Original post by FTheOpps
Literally just started learning poems, I'd say I know Ozymandias fairly well so i could compare it to My Last Duchess (which will probably come up). Going to do MLD, Kamikaze, SOTL, Remains, and Tissue. Is this a good idea or should I just learn all of them? If something random comes up in the exam I could improvise well by analysing it like unseen poetry and comparing its themes to a poem I have learnt. Is this a good idea or should I learn all of them? I know an Inspector Calls fairly well so I don't need to worry about that as much and I need to focus on my RE and Maths as they are before my English exam. Thanks!

I’m in year 13 now however when we did the GCSE we were expecting something totally different to come up than the poem that did come up. It’s worth getting a few bits of A5 paper and writing everything you know about a poem in one colour, then watch mr bruff on YouTube and add the bits which you didn’t know to each poems piece of paper if that makes sense? I knew a little about a lot in GCSE English and came out with 2 A*s so it was definitely a better technique than knowing a lot about a few poems. Hope this helps!!
Reply 2
Original post by Xjabnrlv_saadx
I’m in year 13 now however when we did the GCSE we were expecting something totally different to come up than the poem that did come up. It’s worth getting a few bits of A5 paper and writing everything you know about a poem in one colour, then watch mr bruff on YouTube and add the bits which you didn’t know to each poems piece of paper if that makes sense? I knew a little about a lot in GCSE English and came out with 2 A*s so it was definitely a better technique than knowing a lot about a few poems. Hope this helps!!

Thanks! That's really useful, but means I have to go and learn things now. I hate studying lol.
Reply 3
Original post by Rabiaaa
I honestly think u should learn atleast 2-3 poems get them analysed properly and then write up essays. Past papers are a must. You can get this all done within 3/4 days depending on ur speed. Lastly stay calm during the exams rembr u can do it! Best of luck girl❤️

Ok, thanks! As Xjabnrlv_saadx said I'll learn as many as I can just incase something comes up which I'm not expecting. I'll also take your advice and learn 2 or 3 poems very well so I can link them to others. Thanks! Also, I'm a guy lol

I learnt all of them. Better to do that instead of taking the risk then being screwed over because the ones you didn't learn came up.
Reply 5
Original post by Glaz
I learnt all of them. Better to do that instead of taking the risk then being screwed over because the ones you didn't learn came up.

Yh, fair enough
almost a year since I did it so I can hardly remember which poems I did but I revised those that cover most topics about 3-5 poems , this is a random one I just found but we used a grid something like this www.folkestoneacademy.com/uploads/asset_file/NEW_RESOURCE_-_Poetry_Comparison_A3_grid.pdf
and made sure to revise poems that covered each theme but instead of doing the whole lot, do a few that altogether cover every theme if you get what I mean 😂
Reply 7
Original post by justarosexo
almost a year since I did it so I can hardly remember which poems I did but I revised those that cover most topics about 3-5 poems , this is a random one I just found but we used a grid something like this www.folkestoneacademy.com/uploads/asset_file/NEW_RESOURCE_-_Poetry_Comparison_A3_grid.pdf
and made sure to revise poems that covered each theme but instead of doing the whole lot, do a few that altogether cover every theme if you get what I mean 😂

That's actually so useful, your random one has everything I need to know on it lool. Thanks!
good luck, I hated the poetry section with so much passion :smile:
That's actually so useful, your random one has everything I need to know on it lool. Thanks!
Reply 9
Tbh go over other ones because ozymandias came up in 2018 aqa paper that's if your doing aqa tho
Reply 10
good luck, I hated the poetry section with so much passion :smile:

Thanks :smile: Yh I hate English Lit overall because it's basically just people analysing what probably wasn't even the author's intention (for the most part). Taking it for A Level tho lmao
Reply 11
Original post by ammxr03
Tbh go over other ones because ozymandias came up in 2018 aqa paper that's if your doing aqa tho

Yh I'm doing AQA. Ozymandias can be linked to a lot of poems which is why I decided to do it.
I honestly prefer English language, you can chat waffle whatever and still be seen as creative which is exactly what I did to come out with a 7 😂 In lit you've got the advantage of knowing set themes could come up (kind of) & memorising quotes & analysing them in advance but language is so much better for me.. I've heard people doing A-level hating the poetry too its such a pain.
Thanks :smile: Yh I hate English Lit overall because it's basically just people analysing what probably wasn't even the author's intention (for the most part). Taking it for A Level tho lmao

I don’t think ozymandias will come up as it came up last year
Reply 14
I honestly prefer English language, you can chat waffle whatever and still be seen as creative which is exactly what I did to come out with a 7 😂 In lit you've got the advantage of knowing set themes could come up (kind of) & memorising quotes & analysing them in advance but language is so much better for me.. I've heard people doing A-level hating the poetry too its such a pain.

I seriously wish I could take language, have been consistently getting 7s for it in my mocks. Been getting 5s for Lit lol. My school doesn't offer language for some reason and I want to go there for other subjects... Ah well lol
that is so unfortunate, those grades and language would've been a perfect match :/
I seriously wish I could take language, have been consistently getting 7s for it in my mocks. Been getting 5s for Lit lol. My school doesn't offer language for some reason and I want to go there for other subjects... Ah well lol
Thanks! That's really useful, but means I have to go and learn things now. I hate studying lol.

You’ll be fine. Just make sure you learn the basics like structure, context, quotes and rhythm and you can pretty much say anything you want to with that!
Reply 17
Tbh I'm not exactly sure but go over all of them
Original post by Xjabnrlv_saadx
You’ll be fine. Just make sure you learn the basics like structure, context, quotes and rhythm and you can pretty much say anything you want to with that!

What’s the best way to structure your answer ?
learn 3-4 that vary E.g i do love and relationships so I'lllearn about the parent- child relationships but also the pnes about couples..

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending