The Student Room Group

starting GCSE from scratch - please help

I am a 15 year old Year 10 student suffering with PTSD and depression.

I am in lower sets and foundation Maths and Science (double).

I have recently been started on anti-depressants which have helped me to become less foggy minded and more proactive.

Unfortunately, up until now I feel like I have learned nothing, especially in Maths and Science and am middle set for English.

Where do I start to use this last year to start the whole GCSE course and will it be possible to obtain passes within a year of studying? I am lost. My tutors at school for Maths and Science are both filling in and hopeless,they cant help. Luckily on other subjects I have good teachers who have noticed I am now committed and want to help

How do I help myself pass my GSCE on Maths and Science which I am no good at? Is it possible to do that from now? Where should I start. Please help.
Reply 1
I would invest in some revision guides and go through them teaching yourself. Also past papers are the best for improving your grades, I did so many maths past papers and I went from getting a 3 in my mock to a 5 in my actual exam
Reply 2
Thank you so much Leah. I will check Aqa website for the past papers and I've got some CGP guide books. Appreciated
Original post by l.eah2
I would invest in some revision guides and go through them teaching yourself. Also past papers are the best for improving your grades, I did so many maths past papers and I went from getting a 3 in my mock to a 5 in my actual exam
Reply 3
Original post by young.one

I have recently been started on anti-depressants which have helped me to become less foggy minded and more proactive.

Unfortunately, up until now I feel like I have learned nothing, especially in Maths and Science and am middle set for English.

Where do I start to use this last year to start the whole GCSE course and will it be possible to obtain passes within a year of studying? I am lost. My tutors at school for Maths and Science are both filling in and hopeless,they cant help. Luckily on other subjects I have good teachers who have noticed I am now committed and want to help

How do I help myself pass my GSCE on Maths and Science which I am no good at? Is it possible to do that from now? Where should I start. Please help.

hey i understand! you have a year to increase your grades and i personally think you are doing the right thing by starting now.

i recommend focusing in class and revising at home. you will never get better notes and better help at home than you get in class. so try do your best to stay focused at school! and dont be shy to ask questions. they are there to help.

i also think you should find a good revision technique that helps you. my revision technique that is currently helping me is:

ask your teacher for a checklist of things that u need to study, i feel like a check list helps a lot to keep your revision organised and so you know what you need to do and you dont miss out important topics.

after getting ur checklist research the things you need to learn, for maths i watch hegarty maths videos, for science i watch free science lessons videos on youtube for a topic and english i usually use bitesize. u can also use text books too

then write notes of what you researched in a note book and try to understand the topic as well as you can.

then write the most important things on flash cards as they are easy to carry around and easier to memorise but dont feel like you need to overwrite on the flash cards. write things that will help you remember and memorise.

and then i think this bit is KEY; past papers. do some exam style questions so you know sort of things are coming on the exam, and the bits you dont get right, try revise them more and ask your teachers for help at the end of your lesson.

these are the revision techniques that i think helped me best and helped me improve from lower sets to higher sets.

i suffer for anxiety and i overthink things a lot. and honestly im anxious for exams next year, but i realised that i CAN do it. i used to get absolutely rubbish on my tests, even in foundation sets. now i have really improved and so can you. dont give up and keep trying and be confident. then you defo will do better!!

i also recommend cgp books as they have all the contents you need for exams!!
also do try to switch of your phone whilst studying because i know how tempting it is. try making a time table and make some free time for yourself so you can do whatever u want for an hour or so and then study.
after school i usually do 4-5pm - chill and do whatever , 5-8- no phone and revise
but obviously make it so it fits you better because i eat dinner at 8 so that is very late for some people.
try do 2-3 hours of studying a day and im sure youll see improvements
however dont stress, because good grades do not come overnight. trust me.

hope i helped and if you ever need any more advice or questions message me and ill be there to help. u can do this!!
Reply 4
That's so encouraging thank you so much for your response and tips. I'm so fired up for this and ready now that my meds have kicked in and with your advice, its good to see how you haven't let your anxiety ruin your goals and have improved your grades. Really appreciate people who go out of their way to help others. I'm going to do my best this year.
Original post by xmili
hey i understand! you have a year to increase your grades and i personally think you are doing the right thing by starting now.

i recommend focusing in class and revising at home. you will never get better notes and better help at home than you get in class. so try do your best to stay focused at school! and dont be shy to ask questions. they are there to help.

i also think you should find a good revision technique that helps you. my revision technique that is currently helping me is:

ask your teacher for a checklist of things that u need to study, i feel like a check list helps a lot to keep your revision organised and so you know what you need to do and you dont miss out important topics.

after getting ur checklist research the things you need to learn, for maths i watch hegarty maths videos, for science i watch free science lessons videos on youtube for a topic and english i usually use bitesize. u can also use text books too

then write notes of what you researched in a note book and try to understand the topic as well as you can.

then write the most important things on flash cards as they are easy to carry around and easier to memorise but dont feel like you need to overwrite on the flash cards. write things that will help you remember and memorise.

and then i think this bit is KEY; past papers. do some exam style questions so you know sort of things are coming on the exam, and the bits you dont get right, try revise them more and ask your teachers for help at the end of your lesson.

these are the revision techniques that i think helped me best and helped me improve from lower sets to higher sets.

i suffer for anxiety and i overthink things a lot. and honestly im anxious for exams next year, but i realised that i CAN do it. i used to get absolutely rubbish on my tests, even in foundation sets. now i have really improved and so can you. dont give up and keep trying and be confident. then you defo will do better!!

i also recommend cgp books as they have all the contents you need for exams!!
also do try to switch of your phone whilst studying because i know how tempting it is. try making a time table and make some free time for yourself so you can do whatever u want for an hour or so and then study.
after school i usually do 4-5pm - chill and do whatever , 5-8- no phone and revise
but obviously make it so it fits you better because i eat dinner at 8 so that is very late for some people.
try do 2-3 hours of studying a day and im sure youll see improvements
however dont stress, because good grades do not come overnight. trust me.

hope i helped and if you ever need any more advice or questions message me and ill be there to help. u can do this!!
I think that you should listen in class and if there is anything you don't understand ask the teacher in or out of the lesson. This is something that has helped me a lot and by listening in lessons the stuff we've learnt has really stuck with me. Also when you go home go over what you have learnt and write out some notes for when you do your actual exams - i really regret not doing this. Also NEVER throw away any notes coz rewriting them is just a waste of time. Another way you could improve is by reading through the pages in your revision guides before the lesson so you have an idea of what you're going to learn and anything that confuses you so that you can ask your teacher about them in the lesson. I also recommend revising with friends as it helps when you explain something to someone else and you can get some good stuff from them to. Another suggestion would be looking at past papers especially 6 markers for science as they repeat quite a lot. Something that has definitely helped me for science is doing a question and then marking it looking at the mark scheme and seeing what they really want from you. Usually the type of things they want in your answers repeat in other questions so by studying the mark scheme you can really understand what the examiners want from you.

Good luck and well done for taking the initiative to start doing something... wish I had been like you lol :yeah:
Original post by young.one

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending