The Student Room Group

AQA A-level English Language Paper 1 7702/12 20 May 2019 [Exam Discussion]

There aren't any English Language AQA discussions on here & eng lang A-level has a lot of content so it'd be good to talk about the course.
https://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/english/as-and-a-level/english-language-7701-7702/subject-content-a-level - link to the AQA website with the specification

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sadiebloom
There aren't any English Language AQA discussions on here & eng lang A-level has a lot of content so it'd be good to talk about the course.
https://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/english/as-and-a-level/english-language-7701-7702/subject-content-a-level - link to the AQA website with the specification

Just breaking this down by paper for you and making the title clearer, if you would like to make a discussion for paper 2 as well just create another one and tag me in :smile:
Reply 2
Hey, good luck to all. I am a student in my first year of the A-level, so I may not be too relevant, but I hope all is good and well with those entered for this exam!
Reply 3
Does anyone have any predictions about what's going to be on the paper? There aren't many past papers so it's a bit tricky
Does anyone have an idea on how to actively revise the frameworks? I feel I know it then it all goes out of my head once I see the text! Anyone help??
Reply 5
What question are we supposed to write about Halliday's 7 functions of language for the AS?
Frameworks literally killed me in my first year !! And they still sometimes cause me grief now, oops

If you practice putting the knowledge to practical use, it'll soon become second nature - I had to do a lot of grammatical analysis for my language investigation, so I'm now able to deconstruct a sentence pretty quickly :^) It's painful we don't have much time left before the exams :^( all you can really do is grab random texts and practice pulling them apart over and over again - good luck !!
Original post by psychaddict12
Does anyone have an idea on how to actively revise the frameworks? I feel I know it then it all goes out of my head once I see the text! Anyone help??
Reply 7
How can i attend z exam only ?without taking z course,bcz it is bit lengthy for me ?
Hey guys in a panic because havent revised anything for child language literacy
Reply 9
Original post by TellMeWhy123232
Hey guys in a panic because havent revised anything for child language literacy

I think If you really haven't revised anything on literacy you should just focus on language acquisition since we have the exam on Monday. Personally, I think child language acquisition is easier than literacy and have focus way more heavily on learning acquisition. but if you really want to revise literacy I think the best thing you can do is to look at flashcards on quizlet and read through theorists - possibly look at past papers, I'm not sure if it's too late to revise all of the literacy idk i think it might be, but maybe you can just look through the topics/theorists and familiarize yourself with them?
But there may not be an option for just speaking right? Like it may be one on writing and one on reading ? As theres 2 options
I think If you really haven't revised anything on literacy you should just focus on language acquisition since we have the exam on Monday. Personally, I think child language acquisition is easier than literacy and have focus way more heavily on learning acquisition. but if you really want to revise literacy I think the best thing you can do is to look at flashcards on quizlet and read through theorists - possibly look at past papers, I'm not sure if it's too late to revise all of the literacy idk i think it might be, but maybe you can just look through the topics/theorists and familiarize yourself with them?
Does anyone have any good tips on how to structure Q1 and 2 and features that must be included for the top band
Reply 12
From all the previous AQA exams (I know there's not that many) its always been one data set which is a transcript which asks you to analyse the acquisition and one data set which is written and asks you to analyse literacy - I've been taught that in each paper you always choose between acquisition or literacy. here are some examples from the past papers -
https://filestore.aqa.org.uk/sample-papers-and-mark-schemes/2018/june/AQA-77021-QP-JUN18.PDF

https://filestore.aqa.org.uk/resources/english/AQA-77021-SQP.PDF
But there may not be an option for just speaking right? Like it may be one on writing and one on reading ? As theres 2 options
Reply 13
From a booklet my teacher has given me for revision it says "the data provided will focus on spoken, written, or multimodal language. The mode of the data in question 4 will always differ from that of question 5"
From a booklet my teacher has given me for revision it says "the data provided will focus on spoken, written, or multimodal language. The mode of the data in question 4 will always differ from that of question 5"

sounds promising but it can be a spoken transcript and be about reading right?? so confused and stressed :frown: so have u revised just speaking CLA?
Hi everyone, so I looked at last years grade boundaries and it was 433 for A*, 381 for A, 328 for B and so on
but obviously the two papers together are out of 200 and the coursework is out of 100, so altogether out of 300
Does anyone know how they grade the papers, since its impossible to get higher than 300?
Thanks!!
On the aqa document for grade boundaries, don’t use the first set keep scrolling!
Original post by 421salpho
Hi everyone, so I looked at last years grade boundaries and it was 433 for A*, 381 for A, 328 for B and so on
but obviously the two papers together are out of 200 and the coursework is out of 100, so altogether out of 300
Does anyone know how they grade the papers, since its impossible to get higher than 300?
Thanks!!
Reply 17
Suppose that's true but even if it's a spoken transcript about reading you could bring in theorists to do with language acquisition I'm assuming. And I haven't really revised much of literacy so we're in the same situation! If you're really stressing check out the past papers on the AQA website because all the past papers have one data set which is a transcript and one data set that is examples of writing.
sounds promising but it can be a spoken transcript and be about reading right?? so confused and stressed :frown: so have u revised just speaking CLA?
DOes anyone know the grade boundaries for coursework this year? Or there marks and what grade please
Original post by wrightb535
DOes anyone know the grade boundaries for coursework this year? Or there marks and what grade please

Grade boundaries are set every year after all exams are marked, so no, they have not been set yet. But it was 73 - B 85 - A last year or smth like that

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending