The Student Room Group

i'm screwed...do i still have a chance

hiya guys I'm pretty sure I'm going to screw up the first maths non calculator paper reallyyyyy badly as im literally the worst at mental maths and maths, in general, I was thinking is it possible to pass if I do well in the other two and not this one will i still have a chance to pass ?

Scroll to see replies

Yes of course. I always do bad in non-calculator but my calculator papers always bring my grade up. To get a grade 4, I think you only have to get a quarter of the marks all together or maybe less.
Reply 2
Original post by claudiarrrr
Yes of course. I always do bad in non-calculator but my calculator papers always bring my grade up. To get a grade 4, I think you only have to get a quarter of the marks all together or maybe less.

ah thank you I've been soo stressed and driving myself crazy about it...a quarter is that in the foundation or higher paper?
I remember around this time last year I was in the exact same position as you. I completely flopped the first paper. I remember during the exam just skimming through questions trying to answer any that I could possible do to squeeze out as many marks as possible. After that it really put me down as I didnt think I would get a good grade. However I must have done well on the other two because I managed to pass and they probably raised my grade a lot. Long story short, its not over for you. Just start a clean sheet and focus on doing well on your other two. Good luck, you got this! :smile:
Higher. Its probably a bit more if you are doing foundation.
Original post by ummarahman
ah thank you I've been soo stressed and driving myself crazy about it...a quarter is that in the foundation or higher paper?
Reply 5
omg I know the feeling when ur trying to get as many small marks when u don't really know what's going on and ur totally lost and ur just soo down its really hard not to lose hope..but I'm so happy u passed u deserve it..if u don't mind me asking what did u do higher or foundation..
also, thank you so much u have given me hope it's not all over
Original post by Cloudiii
I remember around this time last year I was in the exact same position as you. I completely flopped the first paper. I remember during the exam just skimming through questions trying to answer any that I could possible do to squeeze out as many marks as possible. After that it really put me down as I didnt think I would get a good grade. However I must have done well on the other two because I managed to pass and they probably raised my grade a lot. Long story short, its not over for you. Just start a clean sheet and focus on doing well on your other two. Good luck, you got this! :smile:
Reply 6
what do u think its for foudation
Original post by claudiarrrr
Higher. Its probably a bit more if you are doing foundation.
Reply 7
I feel the same way. I feel like I'm more likely to make silly mistakes on the non-calculator paper. Even on the calculator paper, just to be sure, I enter "2+2" to make sure that it does equal 4. Haha, I don't trust my skills too much.
Reply 8
Same I do 1+1= 2
Reply 9
loool same I work something out but I have to enter it into a calculator just to be sure...and then I'll enter it again just to make sure the calculator hasn't made a mistake...lol i feel like i have trust issues (Original post by Anthos)
I feel the same way. I feel like I'm more likely to make silly mistakes on the non-calculator paper. Even on the calculator paper, just to be sure, I enter "2+2" to make sure that it does equal 4. Haha, I don't trust my skills too much.
lool just to be sure
Original post by Saverah
Same I do 1+1= 2
Reply 11
the non-calculator exams aren't there to test your mental maths. Make sure you write down your working properly and use written methods for calculations, rather than trying to do things in your head. Do the easy questions first and then come back for ones you find hard. Make sure to read the question you skip though so you can subconciously work out the solution or method you need (this works). If you do this, you will find that you will have plenty of time left to solve the questions you skipped. Also the grade boundaries for maths aren't really that high so stop worrying and get revising! Don't doubt yourself like this!
im bad at mental maths to! I just wrote out the calculations around the sides of the questions. It probably looks a bit ridiculous when your doing big equations eg adding 6 48s to do 6 X 48 but if writing it down is how you work it out then do it! good luck :smile:
hiya guys I'm pretty sure I'm going to screw up the first maths non calculator paper reallyyyyy badly as im literally the worst at mental maths and maths, in general, I was thinking is it possible to pass if I do well in the other two and not this one will i still have a chance to pass ?

Don't worry since you don't feel confident with the non calculator really try your best with the calculator papers, that can help you pass even if you flop the other one.
how did everyone find the science papers so far?
Reply 15
The non calculator paper was a ***** last year and the grade boundaries were low for it, so crossed fingers it's the same this year. You can make up marks in the next two papers, so hopefully you'll do better.
Don't think that you are going to flop the test before you even start it. This gives you a mental disadvantage when you actually start the test compared to people that stayed positive. I aimed for 100% marks on my GCSE maths and I was able to get it by staying positive and making sure I didnt misread anything and made any silly mistakes.
lool just to be sure

I don't trust myself ahah
ah thank you for the tips hopefully they help fingers crossed..lol let's hope the grade boundaries stay low this year
Original post by sh.hr
the non-calculator exams aren't there to test your mental maths. Make sure you write down your working properly and use written methods for calculations, rather than trying to do things in your head. Do the easy questions first and then come back for ones you find hard. Make sure to read the question you skip though so you can subconciously work out the solution or method you need (this works). If you do this, you will find that you will have plenty of time left to solve the questions you skipped. Also the grade boundaries for maths aren't really that high so stop worrying and get revising! Don't doubt yourself like this!
ahh was it? yep let's hope they are lowwww
Original post by Purdy7
The non calculator paper was a ***** last year and the grade boundaries were low for it, so crossed fingers it's the same this year. You can make up marks in the next two papers, so hopefully you'll do better.

Quick Reply

Latest