The Student Room Group

Regrets not applying

Hi, currently I'm having regrets about the University I am attending, I'm a second year Law student at Southampton. My grades at A-level were AAA. I'm having regrets of not even trying to apply to more top universities such as UCL, Oxford and Cambridge for example. Is there really any point of me having regrets? And is there any way of me applying to those Universities, or finish my current undergraduate?
Original post by Tahm1202
Hi, currently I'm having regrets about the University I am attending, I'm a second year Law student at Southampton. My grades at A-level were AAA. I'm having regrets of not even trying to apply to more top universities such as UCL, Oxford and Cambridge for example. Is there really any point of me having regrets? And is there any way of me applying to those Universities, or finish my current undergraduate?

The best you can do is a transfer into year 2 or 3. You wont have enough student finance unless ofc you are self financing.

If your grades are exceptional since A levels, then talk to the unis concerned. The time to do this was end of first year.
The entry grades for the above may well be A*AA. AAA wont be seen as making you a strong candidate by itself.

I don't know that there's a lot of point having regrets at this stage - you're almost two thirds through your degree! And Southampton is still a very good uni where lots of other people will have AAA - it's not like you're at Solent. If you're aiming for a career as a solicitor, your AAA will be helpful when it comes to applying for training contracts and you will not be disadvantaged due to going to Southampton.
apply in your second year, everyone has regrets of not applying into the school they should've! Dont let yourself down and apply :smile:
The

Most top universities want A*AA, including UCL and Cambridge so they might be out of the question. I have regrets myself about not applying to certain places and I don't think that will ever really go away. But what you can do is make the most of your degree now, get excellent grades. You could always apply to do an LLM at a top university after you graduate. A lot of people I know at LSE went to other and often less prestigious universities for their undergraduate degree but did really well to get into LSE for postgrad!
Southhampton is a really good university and I think that you'd be happier there than at the universities you have listed. I went to a non-russel group/ B's in A-Level and ended up doing an LLM at UCL (none of them, including Oxford ask for your a-level grades). I promise you, factors such as university reputation matter much less to employers than you think. I would finish the course, and then do a masters if you're still interested. :smile:
Having regrets is just fine, but the focus now should be on finishing your LLB with the very best grades you can get at Southampton. None of the unis you mention will let you transfer into the 3rd year of their programmes. If you apply for an LLM at UCL, say, they will look for evidence that you have done your level best with the opportunities offered to you in your current course.

Southampton is a well respected Russell Group uni, and no law firm is going to look askance at you if you come knocking at their door with a glowing reference from there.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending