The Student Room Group

Access to HE Diploma so I can become a Doctor

Please help.
I'm 40 years of age and never fulfilled my ambition to become a GP.
Im not sure if I have the ability to gain 45 distinctions as I'm a sensible and organised person who works hard rather than naturally intelligent or super sharp.

Has anyone gained 45 distinctions in a Access to HE in medicine? Or is there another way to get to a medical degree?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by livecalmness
Please help.
I'm 40 years of age and never fulfilled my ambition to become a GP.
Im not sure if I have the ability to gain 45 distinctions as I'm a sensible and organised person who works hard rather than naturally intelligent or super sharp.

Has anyone gained 45 distinctions in a Access to HE in medicine? Or is there another way to get to a medical degree?

Obviously there must be, but you may find the Access course and college have links with a particular Medical school.
If you want to use it to apply for other medical schools then not everyone will accept it.

Find out from the college how many go on from the course to obtain a place at medical school.

The alternative is A levels. A very small number of colleges do them or you can pay for an online course or just teach yourself. The key advice is check entrance requirements, but if you take Bio, Chem and one other then most medical schools will consider you.
You need AAA or higher. Exams should be completed within 2 years of start.

You will have to self finance these and the stem subjects are expensive c £1200- £1500 each including endorsement.

The 2 year rule is important for most med schools, but self teaching then they wont know exactly when you started tbh. You could spread them and they couldnt prove otherwise.

https://www.medschools.ac.uk/media/2357/msc-entry-requirements-for-uk-medical-schools.pdf
Thanks for the reply.

I shall take on board your recommendation of asking the college how many students go on to obtain a place at medical school.

As far as the A levels go and achieving the AAA grades. I don't think I'm a AAA student. More like BBC ...
Original post by 999tigger
Obviously there must be, but you may find the Access course and college have links with a particular Medical school.
If you want to use it to apply for other medical schools then not everyone will accept it.

Find out from the college how many go on from the course to obtain a place at medical school.

The alternative is A levels. A very small number of colleges do them or you can pay for an online course or just teach yourself. The key advice is check entrance requirements, but if you take Bio, Chem and one other then most medical schools will consider you.
You need AAA or higher. Exams should be completed within 2 years of start.

You will have to self finance these and the stem subjects are expensive c £1200- £1500 each including endorsement.

The 2 year rule is important for most med schools, but self teaching then they wont know exactly when you started tbh. You could spread them and they couldnt prove otherwise.

https://www.medschools.ac.uk/media/2357/msc-entry-requirements-for-uk-medical-schools.pdf
Thanks for the reply.

I shall take on board your recommendation of asking the college how many students go on to obtain a place at medical school.

As far as the A levels go and achieving the AAA grades. I don't think I'm a AAA student. More like BBC ...

Then I wouldnt do Access as there is no room for error on 45 distinctions.
The min for Medicine is AAA and a whole heap of other hurdles.
That is not to say give up, but dont start until you can be assured of AAA or equivalent. Alternatively figure out a plan B if you do not get the grades.
Reply 4
Hi,
First of all, you can totally achieve 45 distictions. Just attend the classes and do the work, the results will come. I achieved 45 distictions as have many other people, it's not that hard if you put the work into it.
A guy in my group was 40 years old and he wanted to study dentistry. He got the grades and now is in his first year of dentistry at Bristol. You can totally do it, so go fot it. :smile:
Completely agree with be able to achieve the 45 credits! BUT as it sound you are like me when it comes to academic ability it will be difficult. Im currently doing an Access to Nursing with one week left (woo) and had the intention for the best grades from the on set as everyone should, and here i am pushing merits because the work is constantly being thrown at you at a pretty fast pace. Its not the level of work that is getting put out, its more on the work you do on your own accord. The external reading alone is, in my opinion, at least 60% of the studying, the college can give you the basic tools for where you want to be but thats all. Having done A Levels before, this is the hardest thing that i've done to date.

Thats not to scare or anything like that, but going into it with a strong mindset of getting the best all the time is a must throughout the course.

If theres anymore questions on access i'm happy to answer, we have a lot of crossover with Nursing and Medicine.
Reply 6
I’m thinking about doing the access to he in biochemical for medicine degree and I am 48 so will be 49 if I get in and they may even. Turn me away as I’m too old!! But would rather try and fail then not try at all. If I don’t get in I will have obtained my ucas points so will go for my plan b!

Can I ask you or you doing voluntary work also?
the access course is for all ages over 19, they shouldn't turn you away because of age.
Original post by Janey44
I’m thinking about doing the access to he in biochemical for medicine degree and I am 48 so will be 49 if I get in and they may even. Turn me away as I’m too old!! But would rather try and fail then not try at all. If I don’t get in I will have obtained my ucas points so will go for my plan b!

Can I ask you or you doing voluntary work also?
Reply 8
I'm 38 and there were people older than me doing access to he. I got 45 credits at distinction and it's no where near enough to do medicine. The uni near me need something like 9 gcses including sciences at A or above and 3 A levels in specific subjects. I have A's in the gcses I've caught up with but it'd take me years and a lot of money to get the rest.
What you need to do is look at the entry requirements for the uni you want medicine isn't flexible as you have to usually pass further entry exams and access isn't enough to gain the knowledge for those exams.
Reply 9
Original post by plainjayne1
I'm 38 and there were people older than me doing access to he. I got 45 credits at distinction and it's no where near enough to do medicine. The uni near me need something like 9 gcses including sciences at A or above and 3 A levels in specific subjects. I have A's in the gcses I've caught up with but it'd take me years and a lot of money to get the rest.
What you need to do is look at the entry requirements for the uni you want medicine isn't flexible as you have to usually pass further entry exams and access isn't enough to gain the knowledge for those exams.

Hi I’ve looked at entry requirements and they take access to he in biochemical. You have to have gcse science subject, maths and English. I though I would do it anyway then if I don’t get enough marks for medicine then I will do nursing, still considering both!
Reply 10
Original post by Janey44
Hi I’ve looked at entry requirements and they take access to he in biochemical. You have to have gcse science subject, maths and English. I though I would do it anyway then if I don’t get enough marks for medicine then I will do nursing, still considering both!

That's amazing. Good luck. I'm off to do psychology.
Original post by F-4E

Compared to Access to Medicine course, is there more room for errors in doing 3 A levels for someone who's been out education for 4 years?

Coursework v exams. All I would say is be prepared to learn the standard before you submit your first marked piece. Some schools might offer 42 distinctions and 3 merits. You do have more control with coursework imo v waiting 2 years till A level exams. You will just have to look at the pros and cons of each. Just check you have your target medical schools.
Reply 12
Coursework v exams. All I would say is be prepared to learn the standard before you submit your first marked piece. Some schools might offer 42 distinctions and 3 merits. You do have more control with coursework imo v waiting 2 years till A level exams. You will just have to look at the pros and cons of each. Just check you have your target medical schools.

Thank you for replying. I actually do much better on coursework so I should consider the Access option I guess. Other than the College of West Anglia course which is accepted by 20 medical schools, would you recommend any other college? I've already contacted the universities and I'm awaiting response.

I'm sorry for hijacking the thread. At least I hope the information I'm asking for is useful for others too.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by F-4E
Thank you for replying. I actually do much better on coursework so I should consider the Access option I guess. Other than the College of West Anglia course which is accepted by 20 medical schools, would you recommend any other college? I've already contacted the universities and I'm awaiting response.

I'm sorry for hijacking the thread. At least I hope the information I'm asking for is useful for others too.

I dont know enough tbh. If you say 20 medical schools is this from your own research?

If the schools you are interested in accept it, then that is all you need.

I would suggest doing a brick course rather than distance learning.
Reply 14
I dont know enough tbh. If you say 20 medical schools is this from your own research?

If the schools you are interested in accept it, then that is all you need.

I would suggest doing a brick course rather than distance learning.

Okay, thanks. That's what thestudentroom wiki and the College of West Anglia say, but I'm going to confirm it anyway.

If there is anyone who has done an access to medicine course, I'd really appreciate if you can PM me, I want to ask a few questions.
Original post by faiima
Hi,
First of all, you can totally achieve 45 distictions. Just attend the classes and do the work, the results will come. I achieved 45 distictions as have many other people, it's not that hard if you put the work into it.
A guy in my group was 40 years old and he wanted to study dentistry. He got the grades and now is in his first year of dentistry at Bristol. You can totally do it, so go fot it. :smile:

Faiima, what were your gcse and a'level grades? You sound like a top student.
Reply 16
Faiima, what were your gcse and a'level grades? You sound like a top student.

I acutally don't have a levels cause i came from europe and was 18 at the time (wouldn't be allowed into a sixth form) so i decided to do the access course as alternative, after doing GCSEs as a private candidate. Only have 5 GCSEs (wish i did more but the entry requirements for access course are only maths and english so i thought that was the standard required by unis as well lol). My grades are A*A*ABB.
Original post by plainjayne1

But why would you need 3 A levels for university if you have achieved 45 distinctions in a Access to HE course?
Reply 18
But why would you need 3 A levels for university if you have achieved 45 distinctions in a Access to HE course?

Some courses don't accept an access course. Medicine at my uni does not accept it. You need to check specific entry requirements. Have you started your access course?
(edited 4 years ago)
Hey. I have applied and been accepted for the Access to Medicine course at Manchester college. At a push there are 4 universities within a reasonable distance from me that will accept the access course. I received relatively good GCSE grades - 2A*s and 9As - however dropped out of sixth form as I actually fell pregnant at 18, much to everyone’s dismay of course. I am now 25, and eager to return to education. I have successfully ran my own business for 5 years but my heart isn’t in it. I was originally intending to do access to nursing as thought medicine would never be achievable unless I sat Alevels which nowhere local to me offers. So when I found out about the access course to medicine, I was ecstatic and for the first time excited about the prospect of my future. However the more I research into it all, the more nervous I’m getting. Am I aiming too high? Seems the success stories for ATM are few and far between and unless I acquire an incredible BMAT or UKCAT score - which is unlikely - then I may as well just apply for nursing at my local college as opposed to travelling to Manchester. What are people’s thoughts?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending