The Student Room Group

Involved in a car accident that wasn’t my fault but being blamed for it

Hey all, please can I get some help/advice from anyone in regards to what happened.

I was involved in a car accident on my way to work Wednesday evening (I work night shifts). The driver next to me was driving in the middle lane and was only just slightly ahead while I was in the right lane and all of a sudden he indicates right and goes straight into the passenger front side of my vehicle. The collision was in a box junction and the impact basically threw my car onto oncoming traffic. Thankfully the lights were green where I ended up and the lights just before were red so I wasn’t hurt, but as you can imagine I was in complete shock.

I got out my car and a driver coming towards me slowed down and asked if I was okay etc and told me I should try and reverse my car, however there was damage to the wheel and axel which meant I couldn’t reverse at all. It didn’t help that the wheel was also stuck at an angle next to the island. Stupidly, because I was in shock, I didn’t get any details off any witnesses and even forgot to get the 3rd parties phone number but did remember photos and the rest of his details. I also have no dash cam footage and according to the police who arrive later there was no cctv around there either.

Next morning I call insurance and told them what happened who later called back and told me that the other guy has claimed I had gone into HIS lane and that the accident was my fault. I am now going to have pay £650 excess fee and had lost a night’s wage and had to pay for train and bus fares due to not having a car, which I am told I will not be reimbursed for as the claim will end up being split liability because of him being a liar and it is essentially his word against mine. I just hate how I could have potentially been hit by ANOTHER car and been injured so badly when I was thrown onto the other side of the road had it been busier and he’s refusing to accept liability for the accident which was 100% his fault.

Is there anything I can do about this?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Aliyaa
Hey all, please can I get some help/advice from anyone in regards to what happened.

I was involved in a car accident on my way to work Wednesday evening (I work night shifts). The driver next to me was driving in the middle lane and was only just slightly ahead while I was in the right lane and all of a sudden he indicates right and goes straight into the passenger front side of my vehicle. The collision was in a box junction and the impact basically threw my car onto oncoming traffic. Thankfully the lights were green where I ended up and the lights just before were red so I wasn’t hurt, but as you can imagine I was in complete shock.

I got out my car and a driver coming towards me slowed down and asked if I was okay etc and told me I should try and reverse my car, however there was damage to the wheel and axel which meant I couldn’t reverse at all. It didn’t help that the wheel was also stuck at an angle next to the island. Stupidly, because I was in shock, I didn’t get any details off any witnesses and even forgot to get the 3rd parties phone number but did remember photos and the rest of his details. I also have no dash cam footage and according to the police who arrive later there was no cctv around there either.

Next morning I call insurance and told them what happened who later called back and told me that the other guy has claimed I had gone into HIS lane and that the accident was my fault. I am now going to have pay £650 excess fee and had lost a night’s wage and had to pay for train and bus fares due to not having a car, which I am told I will not be reimbursed for as the claim will end up being split liability because of him being a liar and it is essentially his word against mine. I just hate how I could have potentially been hit by ANOTHER car and been injured so badly when I was thrown onto the other side of the road had it been busier and he’s refusing to accept liability for the accident which was 100% his fault.

Witnesses?
Reply 2
Was in too much shock to even think about getting their details and they’d all gone by the time AA and the police arrived.
Original post by IWMTom
Witnesses?
Reply 3
Original post by Aliyaa
Was in too much shock to even think about getting their details and they’d all gone by the time AA and the police arrived.

Is there a police report from the scene?
Reply 4
Yes, but according to the guy from insurance it takes around 16 weeks to get that report and when I spoke to the policeman himself he said that whatever they’ve logged is just my account of the events. They arrived around 25 mins after the accident and the other car had gone by then.

The only thing they’d really be able to say in my defence is where my car ended up after the collision. If I had hit the car driving on my left, how is it that I ended up on the right on the other side of the road?
Original post by IWMTom
Is there a police report from the scene?
it could have been so much worse. a car can be mended or replaced, but not a human life.

it sounds like you have been truly shafted by the other driver, but there is not much you can do.

in future you could maybe invest in a dashcam.
Reply 6
Original post by Aliyaa
Yes, but according to the guy from insurance it takes around 16 weeks to get that report and when I spoke to the policeman himself he said that whatever they’ve logged is just my account of the events. They arrived around 25 mins after the accident and the other car had gone by then.

The only thing they’d really be able to say in my defence is where my car ended up after the collision. If I had hit the car driving on my left, how is it that I ended up on the right on the other side of the road?

You can push your insurer to try and defend this based on the content of the police report - do you have legal cover?
Reply 7
Original post by the bear
it could have been so much worse. a car can be mended or replaced, but not a human life.

it sounds like you have been truly shafted by the other driver, but there is not much you can do.

in future you could maybe invest in a dashcam.

Definitely buying a dash cam!! I’m just waiting to hear about what’s happening with my car first.

That’s actually what angered me the most though, the fact that had there been cars waiting at the other lights or even driving (it’s a 40mph road), what’s to say I couldn’t have been killed along with other innocent drivers?? And more than likely this scumbag will get a nice cheque and buy himself a new car with it. He has no remorse whatsoever and will just continue to lie and claim that it was my fault.

The guy from insurance said that the most they can do is settle without prejudice and I can hire a solicitor to pursue legal action. Is there any point without concrete evidence of witnesses, cctv/dash cam footage?
Original post by Aliyaa

Logically, how would your car have moved to the right if you had turned left to hit the other car? Fight with your insurance - they will easily stitch you up. I'd sue the other driver, hopefully via small claims. They may be more reluctant to lie in Court, when the facts are against them. Do you know what they said to the Police? Good luck.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 9
Unfortunately I don’t have legal cover but I would possibly be willing to pay out of my own pocket if there’s a chance he wouldn’t get away with it.
Original post by IWMTom
You can push your insurer to try and defend this based on the content of the police report - do you have legal cover?
Reply 10
Original post by RogerOxon
Logically, how would your car have moved to the right if you had turned left to hit the other car? Fight with your insurance - they will easily stitch you up. I'd sue the other driver, hopefully via small claims. They may be more reluctant to lie in Court, when the facts are against them. Do you know what they said to the Police? Good luck.

That was exactly my point. I drive down that road every single night and will always try and be in the right lane due to the fact that further down past the traffic lights there are parked cars on the left and pretty much everyone ends up switching to the right lane eventually. Why would I want to move back to the left lane just to switch back to it 30 seconds later?

They hadn’t spoken to the police. They went back to their car and left pretty much as soon as they got my insurance details. I was too busy worrying about how to move my car so that no one would get hurt from it being on the wrong side 😭
Reply 11
Original post by Aliyaa
Unfortunately I don’t have legal cover but I would possibly be willing to pay out of my own pocket if there’s a chance he wouldn’t get away with it.

Do you have legal cover on your home insurance policy?
Reply 12
I doubt it. I still live at my parents house so I’m guessing no?

Original post by IWMTom
Do you have legal cover on your home insurance policy?
Original post by Aliyaa
Definitely buying a dash cam!!

Thanks for the reminder - I have one in my second most valuable car, but not in my most valuable one (recent purchase).

Push your insurance company - remind them who pays your premium!

How much is your car worth / the repair bill? Small claims is easy and cheap, if it's enough. If there's a counter-claim, your insurance should step-in.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by Aliyaa
I doubt it. I still live at my parents house so I’m guessing no?

Check with them - the policy would usually cover their family members too.
Reply 15
Haha yes, definitely get a dashcam for your expensive car! I was going to get one in March after payday but changed my mind 🙄

Other than them being understanding and knowing how frustrated I was about the unfairness of the whole situation, he said they may not be able to do much without evidence other than settling without prejudice. They sent over my allegations about them lying and I won’t hear back from them until Monday.

It’s the same with my car (BMW 1 series 2014) - they took it Friday morning so I won’t know about the damage until Monday but there was a fair bit on the front passenger side and the bumper and alloy will definitely need replacing. The axle was also damaged pretty badly because any time I tried to reverse the car the wheel looked like it was about to snap off. Took the AA driver over 20 minutes to get it off the flatbed truck! I could send you a picture if you have knowledge in that area??
Original post by RogerOxon
Thanks for the reminder - I have one in my second most valuable car, but not in my most valuable one (recent purchase).

Push your insurance company - remind them who pays your premium!

How much is your car worth / the repair bill? Small claims is easy and cheap, if it's enough.
Reply 16
Original post by IWMTom
Check with them - the policy would usually cover their family members too.

If I arranged for solicitors to handle the case myself, do you think I would get anywhere or would I just be losing out on more money?

My NCB isn’t affected but I will be losing around £800 from this accident. Money matters aside I just don’t want him to get away with it because I genuinely could have been badly injured from his mistakes and he should be held liable.
Reply 17
Original post by Aliyaa
If I arranged for solicitors to handle the case myself, do you think I would get anywhere or would I just be losing out on more money?

My NCB isn’t affected but I will be losing around £800 from this accident. Money matters aside I just don’t want him to get away with it because I genuinely could have been badly injured from his mistakes and he should be held liable.

You could speak to one - most give half an hour free advice.
Reply 18
Really? Ahh I’ll definitely have to get in contact with one next week then. Thank you!!
Original post by IWMTom
You could speak to one - most give half an hour free advice.
The situation does sound like bad luck really, a major mess up not to get any witness details or call the police/insurer immediately, I get you're saying it's shock, but it seems to leave you with no ammunition to pursue it, esp with no CCTV :/

Quick Reply

Latest