Pursuing Law Watch

Mahira S.
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hey guys,

I’m going into S6 in a couple of months and I feel like I need to make a decision as to what course I want to study in uni ASAP. For about a year and a half I’ve been torn between law, or english literature.
My higher results haven’t come out yet, but it’s likely that i’ll get AABB-AAAA. I’m also from a leaps group 1 school so my entry requirements are a little lower than normal (yay!)
Until recently, my plan was to pursue an English degree for my undergraduate and then do the accelerated LLB over two years, as my career aspiration is to be a solicitor. However my biggest worries about this plan is time. If I do an English degree first, it’ll definitely take longer as opposed to pursuing the 4 year LLB, and i’m just worried about being in uni for 7-8 years.

I’m currently torn between doing an English lit degree or a law degree for my undergrad. My question to everyone (law students especially) is: what do you enjoy the most about doing law? How do you know it’s for you?

I really hope I can make a decision by the end of summer, because i’m viciously confused atm.
JohanGRK
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Mahira S.)
Hey guys,

I’m going into S6 in a couple of months and I feel like I need to make a decision as to what course I want to study in uni ASAP. For about a year and a half I’ve been torn between law, or english literature.
My higher results haven’t come out yet, but it’s likely that i’ll get AABB-AAAA. I’m also from a leaps group 1 school so my entry requirements are a little lower than normal (yay!)
Until recently, my plan was to pursue an English degree for my undergraduate and then do the accelerated LLB over two years, as my career aspiration is to be a solicitor. However my biggest worries about this plan is time. If I do an English degree first, it’ll definitely take longer as opposed to pursuing the 4 year LLB, and i’m just worried about being in uni for 7-8 years.

I’m currently torn between doing an English lit degree or a law degree for my undergrad. My question to everyone (law students especially) is: what do you enjoy the most about doing law? How do you know it’s for you?

I really hope I can make a decision by the end of summer, because i’m viciously confused atm.
I'm guessing that you're talking about Scotland.

No one (other than those who did A-level law and have a general idea as to what is taught in a law degree) knows for sure that law is 'for them', and anyone that says otherwise is a liar. Law students have the generic soft skills that would suit any other social sciences/humanities student, and chose law because of some flimsy reason like 'parents want me to' or 'good prospects' or 'I like arguing'. They could have just as easily have done politics or philosophy or history or whatever. Most law students then end up hating large chunks of their degree and don't even bother using one of the main privileges that completing that degree gives you: starting a legal career.

The 7-8 years thing sounds suspect - shouldn't it be 3 or 4 years + 2 years for the accelerated course?
Mahira S.
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Thanks for your reply! Yep, I’m in Scotland.

I like that viewpoint honestly. I guess there really is no one who thinks that law 100% suits them- there’s always a certain module or skill in the course that everyone will be weak at.

Ah, and the 7-8 years thing was referring to my uni education as a whole. So 4 years for my undergrad, 2 for the accelerated LLB and then about a year for the legal diploma, since I want to be a solicitor. That’s 7 years in total 😫
(Original post by JohanGRK)
I'm guessing that you're talking about Scotland.

No one (other than those who did A-level law and have a general idea as to what is taught in a law degree) knows for sure that law is 'for them', and anyone that says otherwise is a liar. Law students have the generic soft skills that would suit any other social sciences/humanities student, and chose law because of some flimsy reason like 'parents want me to' or 'good prospects' or 'I like arguing'. They could have just as easily have done politics or philosophy or history or whatever. Most law students then end up hating large chunks of their degree and don't even bother using one of the main privileges that completing that degree gives you: starting a legal career.

The 7-8 years thing sounds suspect - shouldn't it be 3 or 4 years + 2 years for the accelerated course?
harrysbar
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
In England, it would only take 5 years for someone taking a non Law degree to finish the academic part of their training to become a solicitor but agree that 7 years sounds long..... I would have thought this makes the LLB route more appealing to Scottish applicants. There's no real way of knowing whether you would prefer a degree in English Lit or Law apart from continuing to research Law as much as you can and attending both subject talks at Uni Open Days.
JohanGRK
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Thanks for your reply! Yep, I’m in Scotland.

I like that viewpoint honestly. I guess there really is no one who thinks that law 100% suits them- there’s always a certain module or skill in the course that everyone will be weak at.

Ah, and the 7-8 years thing was referring to my uni education as a whole. So 4 years for my undergrad, 2 for the accelerated LLB and then about a year for the legal diploma, since I want to be a solicitor. That’s 7 years in total 😫
Have you thought about doing an English undergrad in Scotland + the SQE in England? That may cut out a year compared to the accelerated LLB + diploma approach. But you won't be able to practice law in Scotland...

If the difference comes down to a couple of years (i.e. the extra time needed to do the accelerated LLB), and you're getting free university tuition anyway, I'd go with English lit. You're probably going to get better grades and have a better time at uni while studying it, and it seems like you have a genuine interest in that, not law.
fitz317
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi

Financially it's probably better just to do the 4 year LLB then Diploma than it is to take the alternative route. The LLB will be fully paid for by SAAS. The Diploma costs £8,000(ish) of which only 5.5k is covered by SAAS, leaving you to make up the difference (unless you get a firm to pay it for you).

If you do English Lit & then the accelerated then that will set you back £8k ish for each year, again, SAAS will only cover 5.5k per year. Then you have another £8k to spend on the diploma. You end up paying more, and in more debt, if you choose the accelerated route.

I would agree - nobody really knows whether law is for them until they try it. I both love it and hate it depending on the area/day of the week. It can be very dry a lot of the time, but then what degree isn't, then when you get into practice as a solicitor the hours are crazy and the pay (at the beginning) isn't great. It's really up to you to decide - but if you decide to go for it then the 4 year LLB is your best bet.

Hey guys,

X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (133)
18.6%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (72)
10.07%
No I am happy with my course choice (407)
56.92%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (103)
14.41%

Watched Threads