The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I’m confused, is Jeremy Kyle show banned forever or just suspended?
Reply 41
I'm curious did he commit suicide because of the show or did it just happen to coincide with it?
Original post by Napp
I'm curious did he commit suicide because of the show or did it just happen to coincide with it?

That is the million dollar question that nobody has approached. There seems to be no evidence that any of the suicides being discussed were caused or contributed to by the shows being discussed. It could even be that going on the show was a symptom of the mental condition of the people concerned, and that the suicide would have occurred anyway. Nobody knows.
As with other mental health related deaths, it’s true that the show being the cause of the death being indeterminate remains. However, could you not argue the premise of the show (i.e. revealing embarrassing and potentially shameful truths of peoples’ personal lives) has a definite potential to exacerbate the pre-existing conditions you mentioned and, by taking it off air, we can take away one ‘straw off the camel’s back’ so to speak? A rather big straw methinks....
Original post by Good bloke
That is the million dollar question that nobody has approached. There seems to be no evidence that any of the suicides being discussed were caused or contributed to by the shows being discussed. It could even be that going on the show was a symptom of the mental condition of the people concerned, and that the suicide would have occurred anyway. Nobody knows.

Thanks for the response btw :smile:
Original post by king•axolotl
As with other mental health related deaths, it’s true that the show being the cause of the death being indeterminate remains. However, could you not argue the premise of the show (i.e. revealing embarrassing and potentially shameful truths of peoples’ personal lives) has a definite potential to exacerbate the pre-existing conditions you mentioned and, by taking it off air, we can take away one ‘straw off the camel’s back’ so to speak? A rather big straw methinks....

Thanks for the response btw :smile:

Nobody was ever forced to go on one of these shows. Anybody with mental health issues should obviously steer well clear (as should anybody without mental health problems at all, of course). Only the terminally vain should appear.
Yeah I actually think that the love island thing wouldn’t have resulted in death without social media. It used to be you could go on telly and, if it didn’t work out, everyone would forget eventually. Plus you went home to friends and family. Maybe getting the odd abuse in the street. But nowadays you embarrass yourself on tv and people hound you on social media. I really liked Sophie. I thought she seemed a lovely (albeit flawed) person. Yes she made a mistake which made a girl come out on TV. But even the girl was ok with that and ended up finding a bit of love while there. However, she was hounded by people who hated her. It’s a warning to us all. Be careful what you say to others because you can’t be sure what they are going through. What battles they are facing.
Jeremy Kyle is a **** so thats good news.

Never watched Love Island so I have no opinion on it.
The situation is not as simple as it sounds. The guest himself was suicidal before he went onto the show, and clearly had issues before he appeared. Not to mention the fact that the Jeremy Kyle show is quite popular, so you knew what you were getting yourself into before you appeared. Thus his death cannot be fully blamed on Jeremy. However, the show had some major faults that needed to be addressed.

For starters, if the guests appeared on the show and acted out, that was their decision. But there is no doubt that the producers and people working there stirred the flames. If a guest has relationships problems or say past addictions, then they are vulnerable for manipulation. Not to mention the fact that most came from deprived areas. What they did, sometimes caused the opposite affect than what was intended. For example, if someone is remorseful or feeling guilty to the point of being unstable, then shouting at them only makes things worst. There were many instances where guests didn't act out and all the shouting caused them to do so. :colonhash:

Regarding Love Island, I have never watched it. However the same logic applies. Reality TV today is based on entertainment and manipulation. Everyone wants views and money. Unfortunately what the Jeremy Kyle show did isn't unique. Everyone wants entertainment, but it's the manipulation that is an issue. If shows like this want to continue making money, they will use any means possible. But they should think twice on the way they approach advertising different situations and people on TV. When you use blackmail/manipulation and lack respect, then your show/episode should never be aired. Harsher regulations and standards need to be in place, so that you actually help the people who go on there, not hurt them. :mad:
Original post by king•axolotl
The Jeremy Kyle show has been recently axed from its slot on ITV after one guest, 63-year-old Peter Symond committed suicide after his appearance on the show. He is understood to be one of many former guests who have had struggled with mental health problems after an appearance on the controversial tabloid talk-show.

Questions are now being raised across the TV industry as to whether sufficient after-care provisions are being but in place on reality TV programs.

The argument could be made that if The Jeremy Kyle Show should be axed after a guest suicide (a programme with 16 series and 3,320 episodes), then should ITV too axe other reality programs. A stark example being Love Island, a program with 1/4 the number of series, 5% the number of episodes and 2 recent suicides.

This too could also be to some, a class issue. The Jeremy Kyle Show, a show with a primarily working-class demographic is axed for reasons existent in shows like Love Island with a wealthier demographic, which both tackle issues in the lives of their respective audiences.

I would be interested to hear other peoples' opinions on the matter. I myself am unsure. Do you believe that Jeremy Kyle should have been cancelled? Do you believe that other reality TV shows, like Love Island, should also be looked at under a similar lens? Do you think that this shows bias against the viewers of the show and their background?

PS: This is a very sensitive issue, and I would like to pass on severe condolences to all the victims and families of those affected by suicide. I would like to link the Samaritans should anyone else be affected by depression and suicidal thoughts. https://www.samaritans.org/how-we-can-help/contact-samaritan/.
Absolutely. You can't yeet on Jez for one suicide in more than a decade whilst leaving Love Island (which has double the kill count) alone.
Original post by Retired_Messiah
Absolutely. You can't yeet on Jez for one suicide in more than a decade whilst leaving Love Island (which has double the kill count) alone.

Triple, one of the partners killed them self over it
Reply 50
Original post by Napp

Apparently, the lie detector results confirmed to his partner once and for all that he did cheat on her (whether this is true or not, however, is a matter up for debate, along with the accuracy of the show's lie detector testing), and this led to his suicide. However, I believe Mr Dymond was already in a fragile mental state before appearing on the show - as are, it seems, many of the participants. In fact, it seems almost as if such people are more attractive to the production company as they make for better television when Jeremy is shouting at them? All in all, the Jeremy Kyle show always seemed a bit like human bear baiting to me, which took advantage of the participants' very fragile conditions and volatile moods, often never coming anywhere near to an actual resolution for them, all in the name of entertainment (and of course ultimately profit). So I think it is probably time this show came to an end, despite its popularity.

As for Love Island, this is a show that seems to take advantage of participants' apparently dangerously large egos and hidden insecurities, damaging the outlooks on appearance and relationships of both those who take part and those who view it, especially the younger viewers, who are most impressionable and make up the lion's share of the figures. As we have seen with the death of Mike Thalasis, this can have consequences as grave as suicide. While it no doubt gets great ratings for ITV, it does feel like it should be their responsibility as the UK's second largest broadcaster to not put out media that can damage their customers so horrifically.

Anyway, that's my two pennies' worth. I don't/didn't watch either myself tbh, but this is such a relevant issue that more opinions on the matter can't be a bad thing.
I think their logic is that Jeremy Kyle directly 'exploits' and almost glamorises issues such as cheating/ drug use etc. Whereas love island at face value is just about love. Also, the people on love island committed suicide due to the fame, rather than because of the show itself.
However, I think love island should definitely have been cancelled if Jeremy Kyle has been. JK features people who frequently use drugs for example, so it's more likely people are going to die. Whereas Love Island features normal people, and clearly causes problems to both contests and audience. So I understand why JK was cancelled, but if they're so concerned then love island should also be cancelled. It's all about money though.
Reply 52
Original post by Gcsefailure7776
I think their logic is that Jeremy Kyle directly 'exploits' and almost glamorises issues such as cheating/ drug use etc. Whereas love island at face value is just about love. Also, the people on love island committed suicide due to the fame, rather than because of the show itself.
However, I think love island should definitely have been cancelled if Jeremy Kyle has been. JK features people who frequently use drugs for example, so it's more likely people are going to die. Whereas Love Island features normal people, and clearly causes problems to both contests and audience. So I understand why JK was cancelled, but if they're so concerned then love island should also be cancelled. It's all about money though.

I agree. Although, can it be said that love island is really about love? If that is really what true love is then this world is in a sorry state :frown:
Reply 53
Original post by barnetlad
I agree that Love Island should go.

Mike Thalassitis appeared on 'Celebs Go Dating' more recently than Love Island, so why is no-one calling for 'Celebs....' to be axed? That could have contributed to his problems.
Reply 54
The extremely unfortunate death of a former participation of the Jeremy Kyle show that was meant to be aired led to ITV deciding to axe the programme. But what I don't understand is why they and other broadcasters aren't reviewing other reality TV shows like Love Island which has seen the deaths of two former participants of the show. Clearly they need to provide more mental health and psychological support for participants taking part in such reality TV shows.
Original post by StriderHort
That sounds like "Dog fighting would be ok as long as an official dogfight vet had a look over the animals before and after the fight"

People volunteer for shows. Dogs don't.

That said, I don't think the world will any worse off without either Jeremy Kyle or Love Island... Or a multitude of other reality TV programmes for that matter.
Reply 56
Love island is just a really bad dating show I don’t think it should be axed. There’s ‘heartbreak’ and drama and lies and cheating but you get that in the real world too. It’s sad that two contestants died but for example Mike was on other shows so how can we say for sure he died because of love island. I agree with someone who said it’s the fame that causes the problem and not knowing how to deal with it. In that case all reality shows should be axed not just love island.
I get why Jeremy kyle was cancelled, people are just abused and humiliated right in front of the crowd I don’t get how it’s been on tv so long :/ I think the suicide just made people realise that maybe this isn’t ok.
Original post by Tempest II
People volunteer for shows. Dogs don't.

That said, I don't think the world will any worse off without either Jeremy Kyle or Love Island... Or a multitude of other reality TV programmes for that matter.

True, but people volunteer/get pushed into all sorts of really stupid s**t when they should know better. Do you think so many would volunteer if they weren't obvious community care cases or really knew how the show was going to go?
Original post by zerya
I like both shows, but if Jeremy Kyle is cancelled due to one suicide in fourteen years, then Love Island should be cancelled due to two suicides in four years. It's double standards.

At least Jezza Kyle wanted to help people (or at least that’s what the show lead us to believe) Love Island is simply making fools out of anyone willing, usually vounrable, uninformed teens. It’s really sad

Latest

Trending

Trending