The Student Room Group

What universities for Maths without Further Maths A Level

Which top unis do I have a better chance to get into for a Maths degree without taking Further Maths A Level? What unis have other people got into without taking Further Maths?
Original post by theworld223
Which top unis do I have a better chance to get into for a Maths degree without taking Further Maths A Level? What unis have other people got into without taking Further Maths?

did you school not offer further maths or did you choose not to do it? what are your other a levels?
Original post by claireestelle
did you school not offer further maths or did you choose not to do it? what are your other a levels?

Didn't take it as I didn't realise how much I actually liked maths and that I was actually good at it.

Other A-Levels are Maths, Chemistry, Biology, and Geography.
Didn't take it as I didn't realise how much I actually liked maths and that I was actually good at it.

well idk but you gotta be careful, FM is apparently a big step up/different from a level maths

could you take further maths as? that would help your application be stronger.
Uni of Leeds offers Maths! I did FM myself but my mate didn't and we are both currently in 2nd year :smile:
Warwick (Highly prestigious maths course) if you get A* in Maths an A* in another subject and A in something else, but also get an A in Further AS maths.
There are only a few that require further Maths and these include Oxbridge, Imperial, Durham, Bristol and Warwick. I think LSE and Kings do as well. Bath might but I think they accept students without FM but with higher grades. Options available include Exeter, Birmingham, Southampton, Manchester, Lancaster, Leeds, York, Sheffield, Nottingham, Loughborough, East Anglia, Reading and Royal Holloway and loads of others. Do you need to take 4 subjects as all make offers on 3 and concentrating on 3 would help you get better grades,
Original post by swanseajack1
There are only a few that require further Maths and these include Oxbridge, Imperial, Durham, Bristol and Warwick. I think LSE and Kings do as well. Bath might but I think they accept students without FM but with higher grades. Options available include Exeter, Birmingham, Southampton, Manchester, Lancaster, Leeds, York, Sheffield, Nottingham, Loughborough, East Anglia, Reading and Royal Holloway and loads of others. Do you need to take 4 subjects as all make offers on 3 and concentrating on 3 would help you get better grades,

I've got mocks coming up which will help see how well I'm coping. I'm mostly doing 4 as I'm not 100% sure what I'm doing at university.

Original post by claireestelle
could you take further maths as? that would help your application be stronger.

Sadly the colleges in my area don't over it for some random reason.

I know there are quite a few "top" unis that don't have further maths as a requirement but I'm just not sure on my chances if I do apply.
Reply 9

Maths is nothing compared to Further maths. You definitely need further maths to do maths
Original post by CocoLal
Maths is nothing compared to Further maths. You definitely need further maths to do maths

Can you actually make sure you know what you are talking about before commenting? You 100% can get into unis for maths without doing further maths, but I'm just wondering about my chances in the "top" unis.
Can you actually make sure you know what you are talking about before commenting? You 100% can get into unis for maths without doing further maths, but I'm just wondering about my chances in the "top" unis.

https://integralmaths.org/
http://furthermaths.org.uk/

For the top unis you can forget cambridge without further math. Your application won't be that strong without it for top unis (and some need at least to as level). When I say top unis I mean really top 10 tops.

I self-taught further math in a year (a bit less, actually), aiming for A* so it's perfectly doable, especially since I find some topics to be 'fillers" rather than really new concepts in terms of exam questions (volumes of revolution for example).

So if you start in the summer (and drop 1 (or 2) of your as subjects in favor for further math, most likely geography) you should be able to do well.

Also check if you need STEP/MAT, etc. for the unis that interest you (you'll need at least one for top unis).

Alternatively you can redo year 12 or take a gap year to complete further math, should it be required (and then also do some extra reading and/or a math EPQ to amke your application stronger).

Universities will understand you didn't realize how much you liked math. (I didn't either but I knew I was going to take something mathsy at uni so I took math FM and physics)

Your chances would be very good in the universities I mentioned but will probably require A*AA or AAA. You wont get into the likes of Durham and Imperial so it depends on what you call top universities. Dropping one of your A levels will help and taking AS FM would prepare you better for a Maths degree. Have a look at this to see if they can help.
http://advancedmaths.net/

You might stand a chance of getting into Scottish Universities (e.g. St Andrews) because they start a year earlier than English universities. You'd have to start a year behind your peers of course, since you won't know the required material to go directly into 2nd year as most English/International students do, but for a good education in mathematics that might be your best bet. Of course you'll have to give them a very good reason as to why you want to study mathematics when you haven't done further mathematics, but if you can convince them that you are keen and ready to work hard you might stand a chance. Assuming you're moving into your second year of A-levels, you might want to consider self-learning extra modules (I did this, it was incredibly fun). Though if that doesn't appeal to you or you don't have time for it, don't bother. To reliably get into top universities, you should be genuinely interested in the subject that you want to take - you really need to determine whether mathematics is the subject for you before dedicating 3-5 years to it.

Quick Reply

Latest