The Student Room Group

Does Age really matter??

I have a boyfriend his 24 y/o And I’m 28 y/o, so basically I'm older than him.
We’ve been dating for like almost a year already. I know he love me and he knows i love him we have this intimacy connection that really wonderful. But I’m kinda sometimes worried because i felt like,I'm the only one working on our relationship.He is a person that kinda go with the flow, and let me do whatever i want, and he will just agree on everything. Which is like when you think about it, its good because there’s no argument. But i felt like not right or not challenging. I don’t know if i put it into words right but its just weird. And one more thing when him and his friends hangout he wants me to tag along all the time. Which is okay with it, so that i can be friends with his friends too. Its just kinda awkward because I'm the only older person in the group. But i am trying to fit in but its just that i feel ashamed of myself being the oldest one. Hopefully i can get some advice, suggestion, and opinion here. Thanks
(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Theres Only 4 years difference. Need to Accept it and Get over it, its a small thing and no Age doesnt matter when theres only 4 years apart in age. Dont get why its a problem that he agrees with things? Want him to be more authoritative in the relationship or what?
Reply 2
24 - 28: No issue
15 - 19: Big issue
24 - 54: Potential issue

You get the idea.
Reply 3
Original post by DrunkFool
Theres Only 4 years difference. Need to Accept it and Get over it, its a small thing and no Age doesnt matter when theres only 4 years apart in age. Dont get why its a problem that he agrees with things? Want him to be more authoritative in the relationship or what?

Well the problem is that when i suggest something and he doesn’t like it, example food or something to do he will just say YES but the truth is he never like it or his bored to do it. Theres nothing wrong on saying no to things that you don’t like to do. I mean you guys wont probably understand why us ladies feel that way but something its not right
(edited 4 years ago)
yeah its weird I think it would also affect your relationship in the longterm. btw do you look older than him?
Original post by Arnz28
I have a boyfriend his 24 y/o And I’m 28 y/o, so basically I'm older than him.
We’ve been dating for like almost a year already. I know he love me and he knows i love him we have this intimacy connection that really wonderful. But I’m kinda sometimes worried because i felt like,I'm the only one working on our relationship to work. He is a person that kind of go with the flow, and let me do whatever i want, and he will just agree on everything. Which is like when you think about it, its good so that no argument. But i felt like not right or not challenging. I don’t know if i put it into words right but its just weird. And one more thing when him and his friends hangout he wants me to tag along all the time. Which is okay with it, so that i can be friends with his friends too. Its just kinda awkward because I'm the only older person in the group. But i am trying to fit in but its just that i feel ashamed of myself being the oldest one. Hopefully i can get some advice, suggestion, and opinion here. Thanks
Original post by Reue
24 - 28: No issue
15 - 19: Big issue
24 - 54: Potential issue

You get the idea.

You mean 15 dating a 19 yr old?
Reply 6
Original post by Pepsey
Pretty sure 16-18 is no issue? And why is 19 an issue?

I made no mention of 16-18 so not sure why you've highlighted that, but I would agree that it is no issue.

And 15 - 19 is an issue (in my opinion) mentally as well as (potentially) legally.
Reply 7
Original post by hajerox123
yeah its weird I think it would also affect your relationship in the longterm. btw do you look older than him?

A lot of comment about us that i look younger than him even those people that don’t know us just randomly ask us questions.
It's only an issue if you make it one tbh. Or if you feel that you're at different stages i.e. you wanted to settle down now whilst he's not ready for that. My boyfriend is 11 years older, it's never caused an issue for us.
Reply 9

Lot of comments randomly that i look younger than him.
Original post by Arnz28
Well the problem is that when i suggest something and he doesn’t like it, example food or something to do he will just say YES but the truth is he never like it or his bored to do it. Theres nothing wrong on saying no to things that you don’t like to do. I mean you guys wont probably understand why us ladies feel that way but something its not right

Alright Now Im getting better idea. Maybe he cant be arsed to challange it? And since hes saying yes when we wants to say no, Thats means the only way you know hes doesn't like it is hes told you before?? So Why asking him if you know he doesnt like it. Anyway he needs to be assertive with his likes wants and needs. Is this a fairly new relationship? if so, might be the reason why hes not being very assertive. Either since hes a people pleaser or hes one of them people who needs to get completely comfortable before he shows his personality etc. OR... Hes afraid of ur reaction. Get angry at him over small things?
Original post by Arnz28
Lot of comments randomly that i look younger than him.

are you taller?
Reply 12
Original post by Precious Illusions
It's only an issue if you make it one tbh. Or if you feel that you're at different stages i.e. you wanted to settle down now whilst he's not ready for that. My boyfriend is 11 years older, it's never caused an issue for us.

I guess you have a
Point on that. I mean your case your boyfriend is older than you which is normal. But when you are female older than a guys feels a lil weird
Original post by Arnz28

Try to exchange the position, then. I mean, make him the one who offers/suggests something to you. From your initial post, I can read that you are the one who often ask him about something or offer him something. I personally think that if he is younger than you, and he agrees no matter what you suggest to him, then he's avoiding any fight which probably occur if he rejects it. He's mature enough to build a relationship, which is good. I think your relationship will goes long if you try to understand what he means by accepting all of your suggestions. Hope this helps.
Reply 14
are you taller?

No his 6 im 5”3
Alright Now Im getting better idea. Maybe he cant be arsed to challange it? And since hes saying yes when we wants to say no, Thats means the only way you know hes doesn't like it is hes told you before?? So Why asking him if you know he doesnt like it. Anyway he needs to be assertive with his likes wants and needs. Is this a fairly new relationship? if so, might be the reason why hes not being very assertive. Either since hes a people pleaser or hes one of them people who needs to get completely comfortable before he shows his personality etc. OR... Hes afraid of ur reaction. Get angry at him over small things?

We been dating for almost a year now. Well if i know he doesn’t like it, why should i bother ask thats why i ask because its part of trying to get to know the person more.
he sounds like an idiot leave him.
Original post by Arnz28
No his 6 im 5”3

We been dating for almost a year now. Well if i know he doesn’t like it, why should i bother ask thats why i ask because its part of trying to get to know the person more.
Lol Dont get it. I mean If he says YES How do you know if he doesn't like it or not
Original post by Arnz28
No his 6 im 5”3

Reply 17
Original post by angrypeacock550
Try to exchange the position, then. I mean, make him the one who offers/suggests something to you. From your initial post, I can read that you are the one who often ask him about something or offer him something. I personally think that if he is younger than you, and he agrees no matter what you suggest to him, then he's avoiding any fight which probably occur if he rejects it. He's mature enough to build a relationship, which is good. I think your relationship will goes long if you try to understand what he means by accepting all of your suggestions. Hope this helps.

Well i do and i will take your word,but sometime at least initiate on something. It takes two people to work on a relationship. I feel like because he thought i’m older than him, he will just agree on whatever i want.
Reply 18
Lol Dont get it. I mean If he says YES How do you know if he doesn't like it or not

Okay of course i know because you know how he don’t talk being quite play games on his phone even I’m initiating a conversation with him.
Ask Him the reason why.
Original post by Arnz28
Well i do and i will take your word,but sometime at least initiate on something. It takes two people to work on a relationship. I feel like because he thought i’m older than him, he will just agree on whatever i want.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending