The Student Room Group

Triple Science or Double science

Guys i am currently in year 9 and am picking gcse options. Should i pick double or triple science? double is basically combined science - so less content... any personal advice from anyone who's done triple science?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm doing triple science at the moment and currently undertaking my GCSEs. I'm finding Triple Science to be more rewarding plus it's really good. How confident are you with science?
just do triple, its not that much more content.
plus depends on your a-level choices if you're thinking about taking a level sciences it may be good to take triple
Reply 3
Im not too bad. All current assessments are either a 7 or an 8.. (1-9)
Original post by tpottage
I'm doing triple science at the moment and currently undertaking my GCSEs. I'm finding Triple Science to be more rewarding plus it's really good. How confident are you with science?
Reply 4
I'm doing IB.. But still thank you for the advice :smile:
Original post by mez_merising
just do triple, its not that much more content.
plus depends on your a-level choices if you're thinking about taking a level sciences it may be good to take triple
Reply 5
Then I suggest you do triple. Do you know what exam board you will do?
Original post by regina789
Im not too bad. All current assessments are either a 7 or an 8.. (1-9)
Reply 6
Gcse aqa
Original post by tpottage
then i suggest you do triple. Do you know what exam board you will do?
Reply 7
I suggest u do triple, as this year combined science higher papers were hard. I had the choice to do triple or combined, but I chose to do combined. the triple papers were easier than combined science this year
Original post by regina789
Guys i am currently in year 9 and am picking gcse options. Should i pick double or triple science? double is basically combined science - so less content... any personal advice from anyone who's done triple science?
Reply 8
If you are thinking about science a levels, then definitely take it. It makes the bridge from GCSE to A Level a lot easier. In terms of content, it is just learning all the combined science modules in a bit more detail and having a few extra topics at the end of each module. There are also a few more practicals in triple science aswell!
I'd say take triple if you like science (ie wouldn't mind having multiple science lessons a day etc).

I can't speak for other schools, but at mine, the triple science classes also get the better teachers.
Reply 10
thank you all for the advice, i think im going to do triple since more people are telling me to do it and because i actually enjoy science.
Reply 11
Depends if you want to do something else and you want to free up a subject. Personally, I took double-science with a DT as I wanted to do electronics. Let me tell you this, you will miss out important content that you will need for a-level sciences. I'm currently in year 12 and I have had to play catch up with chemistry. However, if you don't mind spending some time before entering year 12 then it's not too bad. The things you mainly need to know are test-tube reactions and experiments that you won't have learned doing double science. Good luck!

NB: also, know that you will need hit the ground running if you do decide to do chemistry, it's difficult
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by Raja12
I suggest u do triple, as this year combined science higher papers were hard. I had the choice to do triple or combined, but I chose to do combined. the triple papers were easier than combined science this year

by this year do you mean 2018 or 2019? we've only had 2 so far in 2019 lol
Reply 13
yh and how were they for u? I found bio hard, while chem was alright
Original post by s.m999
by this year do you mean 2018 or 2019? we've only had 2 so far in 2019 lol
Reply 14
Original post by Raja12
yh and how were they for u? I found bio hard, while chem was alright

bio was hard, chem was easy lol

you can't judge the whole of comb sci based on two papers so far though, for all we know the other 4 might be easy
the one subject that I don't regret is triple
I’d do triple - another benefit is you’ll probably end up in classes with other people that want to do well in science so will put the effort in, whereas sometimes double classes will have the less motivated students :lol:
Reply 17
Definitely, I remember doing double and most of the group didn't even bother with it.
Original post by imogen28
I’d do triple - another benefit is you’ll probably end up in classes with other people that want to do well in science so will put the effort in, whereas sometimes double classes will have the less motivated students :lol:
Reply 18
true, how do u think the grade boundaries are gonna be, by just doing these 2?
Original post by s.m999
bio was hard, chem was easy lol

you can't judge the whole of comb sci based on two papers so far though, for all we know the other 4 might be easy
Stick to double if your not doing any science courses at A-levels otherwise Do triple science if you want to do science courses at A-levels

Quick Reply

Latest