The Student Room Group

English at A level, Which one???????????

Iyaaa people on this social networking site. Ha, I'm too cringe. So basically I just wanted to ask as I wanted to go into a Journalism degree specialized in Criminology I just wanted to say which English would be useful for me alongside psychology and sociology. English lang? English Lit? Or the combined A level with lit and lang aspects? Thank you in advanceee, I don't want to do both that's alll
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 1
I do English Language at a level and I'd say it's definitely useful if your looking into a career of journalism. I don't do sociology or psychology but I know people who do and they say that English Language fits in nicely with them.
Do both. Literature will allow you to hone your critical thinking skills and Language will teach you about appropriate language styles. If you have to pick one I'd say English Language though because when I did it (albeit thousands of moons ago) it used to teach you how to write in a journalistic style and about the differences between types of publication.
(edited 4 years ago)
English lang has a worse academic reputation than lit - that's just a sad fact of life. I do the combined course and like both aspects, and it seems less work and stress than lit alone. Some universities specifically don't allow english language as an a level because it isn't highly regarded, so i would check your preferred uni and course choices out. Literature alone would still be useful for journalism also. You could have a look at what texts you would study in each course and see what draws your interest. Overall I would say do combined - best of both worlds - but if you have to pick probably whichever one you actually prefer.
If you can do language as an a level then go for it but I think doing both would be beneficial as they have different skills required. I do OCR Eng lit :smile:
Reply 5
Okay okay, thanks for the reply will definitely think about it, DK if I wanna do combined tho. I'm really indecisive.
Original post by l.eah2
I do English Language at a level and I'd say it's definitely useful if your looking into a career of journalism. I don't do sociology or psychology but I know people who do and they say that English Language fits in nicely with them.
Reply 6
Okay allrighttty, I'm super indecisive shall I do the combined course ayiiii idk
Original post by blurryleo
If you can do language as an a level then go for it but I think doing both would be beneficial as they have different skills required. I do OCR Eng lit :smile:
Reply 7
Ty for the response I think I might do combined as it does incorporate ideologies from both of the English's....
Original post by lottie19x
English lang has a worse academic reputation than lit - that's just a sad fact of life. I do the combined course and like both aspects, and it seems less work and stress than lit alone. Some universities specifically don't allow english language as an a level because it isn't highly regarded, so i would check your preferred uni and course choices out. Literature alone would still be useful for journalism also. You could have a look at what texts you would study in each course and see what draws your interest. Overall I would say do combined - best of both worlds - but if you have to pick probably whichever one you actually prefer.
Reply 8
Okay cheersss, all I'm thinking is either the combined course or English lang on it's own
Original post by blurryleo
Reply 9
Okay thank you youuuu, I think I am going to do the combined course or English language on its own because it does incorporate ideologies from both aspects of English.
Original post by lottie19x
Reply 10
ty for the response I high key think I'm going to do the combined course as it does mesh the two English's together. But I might do Language on its own! AHhhh the fury
Original post by who.the.heck
Do both. Literature will allow you to hone your critical thinking skills and Language will teach you about appropriate language styles. If you have to pick one I'd say English Language though because when I did it (albeit thousands of moons ago) it used to teach you how to write in a journalistic style and about the differences between types of publication.
Reply 11
Okay thank you, I think I am going to od the Combined course as it does compile the two English's together into one course
Original post by l.eah2
Any of them works dammit! :biggrin:
Reply 13
Iya, hun thanks for the help that this discussion was posted for mwah much love >3 xo
Original post by Tolgarda
Any of them works dammit! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest