The Student Room Group

Which Bundesliga Team Should I Support?

Hi I am currently beginning to fall in love with German Football, due to the Youth Systems, stadium atmospheres and attractive football. Currently I support Man United in the PL, since I have grown up watching them due to my family, and they will remain my lifelong team. Since I have started watching Bundesliga too, I want to start following an actual Bundesliga team too. I dont want to be that guy who just supports the best teams aka the glory hunter (Bayern Munich)...

I have reallly liked 3 teams who are RB Leipzig because of their youth development and because they are an upcoming team who play amazing brand of football, Dortmund because of their underdog nature and the fact that they have one of the best atmospheres ive ever seen, and lastly Bayer Leverkusen because of Brandt and Havertz , also due to their new coach who plays really good football.

Which teams do you guys recommend i should support, im not sure about Leverkusen in particular because of the longevity on Brandt and Havertz as they may leave in a few seasons, and im not sure about how much leverkusen can progress in the future compared to Dortmund and Leipzig.

Thanks and all help appreciated!
Borussia Mönchengladbach is another option to the teams you mentioned: since the season 2009/2010 after it almost relegated, the football club built a team up which was almost presented in international competitions, no matter whether in Champions or Europa League. And Mönchengladbach is always a candidate for one of these competitions. Apart from the rankings of the last ten years, the team has good players to play offensive and forward.

By the way I am a SV Werder Bremen fan. :smile:
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Kallisto
Borussia Mönchengladbach is another option to the teams you mentioned: since the season 2009/2010 after it almost relegated, the football club built a team up which was almost presented in international competitions, no matter whether in Champions or Europa League. And Mönchengladbach is always a candidate for one of these competitions. Apart from the rankings of the last ten years, the team has good players to play offensive and forward.

By the way I am a SV Werder Bremen fan. :smile:

Yh was researching Gladbach today, and they are probs number 1 on my list right now!
Personally i am a Dortmund fan and it feels like we have some sort of bad luck, but the team itself is getting better every season and i cannot wait for the next season.

One team that looks promising and i would recommend are Leipzig as they have been doing very well since they were promoted to the league in 2017 they have an excellent youth setup and have been the surprise package in the league. Another team possibly is Frankfurt who themselves managed to od well in europe this season and also have a solid team, the youth are progressing.
Original post by baqz786
Hi I am currently beginning to fall in love with German Football, due to the Youth Systems, stadium atmospheres and attractive football. Currently I support Man United in the PL, since I have grown up watching them due to my family, and they will remain my lifelong team. Since I have started watching Bundesliga too, I want to start following an actual Bundesliga team too. I dont want to be that guy who just supports the best teams aka the glory hunter (Bayern Munich)...

I have reallly liked 3 teams who are RB Leipzig because of their youth development and because they are an upcoming team who play amazing brand of football, Dortmund because of their underdog nature and the fact that they have one of the best atmospheres ive ever seen, and lastly Bayer Leverkusen because of Brandt and Havertz , also due to their new coach who plays really good football.

Which teams do you guys recommend i should support, im not sure about Leverkusen in particular because of the longevity on Brandt and Havertz as they may leave in a few seasons, and im not sure about how much leverkusen can progress in the future compared to Dortmund and Leipzig.

Thanks and all help appreciated!

I mean supporting Bayern right now would automatically refer you to being a "glory hunter" (as you have said already) but its good to see Bundesliga finally getting the attention and positivity that it deserves. If I were you, go for a team who are not deemed to be as popular as the rest but have potential, young team and a promising manager. The problem is now with the teams in the German league is that they are getting too much attention which is leading to interest in their top players (especially) young from teams all over the world. The positive aspect is that the German team provide opportunities to their academy players and they rebuild the same philosophy.
Reply 5
Original post by ayyyy.x
I mean supporting Bayern right now would automatically refer you to being a "glory hunter" (as you have said already) but its good to see Bundesliga finally getting the attention and positivity that it deserves. If I were you, go for a team who are not deemed to be as popular as the rest but have potential, young team and a promising manager. The problem is now with the teams in the German league is that they are getting too much attention which is leading to interest in their top players (especially) young from teams all over the world. The positive aspect is that the German team provide opportunities to their academy players and they rebuild the same philosophy.

How do Gladbach sound, especially with Marco Rose coming?
Original post by baqz786
How do Gladbach sound, especially with Marco Rose coming?

They sound promising especially because of Thorgan Hazard but I heard he isn't staying so it will be interesting to see who are the young talent who step up instead. I would go for them because of the manager, potential, progress and the lack of attention they get compared to the other teams in the league. I would recommend Leipzig but some of their players are also not staying but they still are a good team.
Reply 7
Original post by ayyyy.x
They sound promising especially because of Thorgan Hazard but I heard he isn't staying so it will be interesting to see who are the young talent who step up instead. I would go for them because of the manager, potential, progress and the lack of attention they get compared to the other teams in the league. I would recommend Leipzig but some of their players are also not staying but they still are a good team.

I would have picked Leipzig, however their fan culture ans atmosphere isn't as lively compared to other teams. Also flights to Leipzig from London is pretty expensive, incase I ever wanna go and watch them live lol 😂
Original post by baqz786
I would have picked Leipzig, however their fan culture ans atmosphere isn't as lively compared to other teams. Also flights to Leipzig from London is pretty expensive, incase I ever wanna go and watch them live lol 😂

Good point but they do tend to get passionate when their team is doing well.. would you say the atmosphere can be compared to the likes of Old Trafford? I mean since when have flight tickets ever come cheap these days
Reply 9
Original post by ayyyy.x
Good point but they do tend to get passionate when their team is doing well.. would you say the atmosphere can be compared to the likes of Old Trafford? I mean since when have flight tickets ever come cheap these days

I think that the English Fan culture is nothing compared to the Germans. Germans take it to a whole other level, that's one of the main reasons I starting watching Bundesliga. Getting To Mönchengladbach is a couple of train journeys away from UK lol or a 30£ flight to Cologne.
Original post by baqz786
I think that the English Fan culture is nothing compared to the Germans. Germans take it to a whole other level, that's one of the main reasons I starting watching Bundesliga. Getting To Mönchengladbach is a couple of train journeys away from UK lol or a 30£ flight to Cologne.

There is a huge difference in both fan culture. Most stadiums in Germny have fences all around to prevent fans from jumping over and invade the pitch. German fans do indeed take it to a whole new level and it's awesome to see, you can also see the support when german teams visit england to play teams and the fans always come together to show passion for their teams and its beautiful.
That's what football is all about!
Reply 11
Original post by _Leviathan_
There is a huge difference in both fan culture. Most stadiums in Germny have fences all around to prevent fans from jumping over and invade the pitch. German fans do indeed take it to a whole new level and it's awesome to see, you can also see the support when german teams visit england to play teams and the fans always come together to show passion for their teams and its beautiful.
That's what football is all about!

Totally agree, there's no other sport quite like football 👌
Bayer Leverkusen is a weird one as their stadium is a forgettable modern ground in the arse end of nowhere. The only good thing is it’s a train ride away from Cologne which is a top city to spend a weekend!
Original post by baqz786

Wow, you are really a passionate and crazy fan, if you intend to visit the home matches of the Bundesliga team you choose.

Original post by IanDangerously
Bayer Leverkusen is a weird one as their stadium is a forgettable modern ground in the arse end of nowhere. The only good thing is it’s a train ride away from Cologne which is a top city to spend a weekend!

:lol: :lol:

This saying makes my day!
Reply 14
:lol: :lol:

This saying makes my day!

LOL not all the matches but maybe a couple a year
Original post by baqz786
LOL not all the matches but maybe a couple a year

And what matches in Bundesliga would you like to see life in the stadium? think that Dortmund and Bayern have your priorities.
Reply 16
And what matches in Bundesliga would you like to see life in the stadium? think that Dortmund and Bayern have your priorities.

Dortmund top of my list in terms of stadiums
Dortmund. Very good fanbase.
Reply 18
Original post by baqz786
Dortmund top of my list in terms of stadiums

There you go. This is your answer
Bayern Munich, one of the best teams in the world, and it has a lot of history to it.

Quick Reply

Latest