The Student Room Group

OCR A level English Literature 2019

Scroll to see replies

I feel the same exact way !! They are sooo high!!! I'm so scared for paper 1 on Thursday!!😭😖😫 but I do have one question: the grade boundaries are said to be weighted out of 80 and not out of 60 which is what out papers are actually out of. So does that mean for an A* we need 56/80 (~~70%) or do we need 56/60 (~~93%)????
Original post by MissCarter786
The grade boundaries for 2018 were mad for OCR... they are ridiculous and they have put me down!!!!!!!! ARGH
Original post by Irhakhalid
I feel the same exact way !! They are sooo high!!! I'm so scared for paper 1 on Thursday!!😭😖😫 but I do have one question: the grade boundaries are said to be weighted out of 80 and not out of 60 which is what out papers are actually out of. So does that mean for an A* we need 56/80 (~~70%) or do we need 56/60 (~~93%)????

Trust me :frown: what texts aren’t you studying?

My tutor told they mark it out of 80... so I guess yeah it’s 70%... though double check.. because I’m unsure but myself, my anxiety is taking over my life after looking at the mark scheme :frown:
Original post by lucy.s.p
Hiya thanks so much they were so helpful you're amazing!! lifesaver, I love the analysis of prosperpina as defying stereotypes as well as conforming to them. I dont think I have many others but I guess another one you could try is how bosola is like placebo In some ways due to both of their sycophantic nature maybe cariola too? although I think maybe that one is a bit of a push. one I'm struggling to use is delio? and where to get him in? I guess in some ways he's like justinus as they're both good friends but I don't think delio necessarily advises against Antonio getting with the duchess which he probably should've done? sorry for rambling let me know if you have anything else this is really helping haha! x

Placebo and Bosola is an interesting one to look at, kinda forgot about Placebo so thanks so much! The only thing is context for Proserpina I don't have much on, do you have any other interesting context points for her?

Also with Delio, I kinda avoid writing about him but maybe there's scope with him vs Justinus/Placebo as you suggest, but I can't think of much context to support him. He is one of the only survivors at the end, and commentates on the situation. Sorry, I'm probably not helpful! This is helping me so much though so thank you~!

you need 56/60 for an A*. they multiply components 1 and 2 by 4/3 to make the overall paper out of 200 in total (80+80+40 from coursework). So basically after they multiply it ~75/80 will be an A* which is still 93%.

Just ignore the weightings at the bottom and look at the marks out of 60.
Original post by Deliciate
you need 56/60 for an A*. they multiply components 1 and 2 by 4/3 to make the overall paper out of 200 in total (80+80+40 from coursework). So basically after they multiply it ~75/80 will be an A* which is still 93%.

Thank you so much for breaking it down!

I don’t even think I can secure 30 solid marks 😂

If I get 32+30 on the papers what grade would that make it, since I got A* on coursework
omg isn't it !! I am so anxious for the exam I feel like I'm just not ready at all like I've been trying my best - I think - but I guess at the end of the day it will depend on the examiner. I study Hamlet and compare Rossetti poetry to Ibsen's Doll's house for paper 1 and for paper 2 I study women in the literature section and compares sense and sensibility to tess of the durbervilles. wbu?

I just hope that I can do enough to get an A but I get so overwhelmed in the exam and just wanna write that I don't check over my work because I get scared to re-read it coz it's probably so bad !! I don't know if that's just a weird thing I do though!!
Trust me :frown: what texts aren’t you studying?

My tutor told they mark it out of 80... so I guess yeah it’s 70%... though double check.. because I’m unsure but myself, my anxiety is taking over my life after looking at the mark scheme :frown:
cool that makes sense!! thank you so much for the explanation!! though it's still very high I hope we all do very well in all our exams!!

omg isn't it !! I am so anxious for the exam I feel like I'm just not ready at all like I've been trying my best - I think - but I guess at the end of the day it will depend on the examiner. I study Hamlet and compare Rossetti poetry to Ibsen's Doll's house for paper 1 and for paper 2 I study women in the literature section and compares sense and sensibility to tess of the durbervilles. wbu?

I just hope that I can do enough to get an A but I get so overwhelmed in the exam and just wanna write that I don't check over my work because I get scared to re-read it coz it's probably so bad !! I don't know if that's just a weird thing I do though!!

THATS THE SAME WITH ME!
I’m also doing ADH and Rossetti! I’m so nervous about the exam, I haven’t focused on paper 2 yet because paper 1 has been my priority...

I’m so so not ready for this :frown:
What have you been getting in class and mocks so far?

I’ve been getting 17-24 marks on Adh and R...
OMG I've finally found someone doing the same texts as me!!! I'm in the same range ass you with marks though I stop at like 21 and can't seem to go nay higher which is really annoying do you have any tips or advice or any resources you would recommend because there isn't much out there for Rossetti and Ibsen like there is for gatsby especially because we can't use Mr Bruff!! :frown:.

I'm also not ready for this exam and no one really does well in the mocks let's just be real but people do tend to do better in the actual one so I'm hoping that's the same for us; though the grade boundaries aren't very encouraging because I would really like an A hopefully!!

Do you by any chance have exemplary essays which you don't mind sharing with me - It's ok if you don't I completely understand because it is a personal thing so not hard feelings!! xx

How are you feeling for Hamlet if you don't mind me asking? I'm hoping a question on women or foils comes up!
THATS THE SAME WITH ME!
I’m also doing ADH and Rossetti! I’m so nervous about the exam, I haven’t focused on paper 2 yet because paper 1 has been my priority...

I’m so so not ready for this :frown:
What have you been getting in class and mocks so far?

I’ve been getting 17-24 marks on Adh and R...
If I get 32+30 on the papers what grade would that make it, since I got A* on coursework

omg well done on the A* :biggrin: that would probably be a C, what grade are you aiming for?
cool that makes sense!! thank you so much for the explanation!! though it's still very high I hope we all do very well in all our exams!!

we got this lads :grin:
omg well done on the A* :biggrin: that would probably be a C, what grade are you aiming for?

Thank you so much :smile: I worked SOOO HARD! I WORKED DAY AND NIGHT TO GET INTO THE TOP BANDS! I got 15/15 on the first one and 24/25 on the second one! Thank God!

Oh thats low :frown: I am aiming for a B, id be over the moon! What about yourself? Hopefully you'll get an A. I have faith in other people but not myself!
OMG I've finally found someone doing the same texts as me!!! I'm in the same range ass you with marks though I stop at like 21 and can't seem to go nay higher which is really annoying do you have any tips or advice or any resources you would recommend because there isn't much out there for Rossetti and Ibsen like there is for gatsby especially because we can't use Mr Bruff!! :frown:.

I'm also not ready for this exam and no one really does well in the mocks let's just be real but people do tend to do better in the actual one so I'm hoping that's the same for us; though the grade boundaries aren't very encouraging because I would really like an A hopefully!!

Do you by any chance have exemplary essays which you don't mind sharing with me - It's ok if you don't I completely understand because it is a personal thing so not hard feelings!! xx

How are you feeling for Hamlet if you don't mind me asking? I'm hoping a question on women or foils comes up!

Omg, I was in the same boots. It was so annoying I would always be stuck on 21s. However, I know how to structure my answer no and i insert my context after i made my point. I also try to get AO3 into my introduction... For example... Both writers were not feminists, but Rossetti worked at the Mary Magdelence Penitarty and helped reform fallen women, whereas in an Interview Henrik Ibsen stated he aimed to explore the issues that surrounded him in the "male dominated society". - Also how Norway became the second country in Europe to have full suffrage of women - Ibsen contributed to this sucess in 1913..
I also suggest using specific critics as you make your point and on your weaker paragraphs go into feminism theories, marxism...etc
Thank you so much :smile: I worked SOOO HARD! I WORKED DAY AND NIGHT TO GET INTO THE TOP BANDS! I got 15/15 on the first one and 24/25 on the second one! Thank God!

Oh thats low :frown: I am aiming for a B, id be over the moon! What about yourself? Hopefully you'll get an A. I have faith in other people but not myself!

literally that is amazing woo wooo :tongue:
you need to have some faith in yourself! you will do much better than 31 and 32, you're being way too harsh. i am aiming for an A* but we're gonna need some divine intervention for that to happen lol
literally that is amazing woo wooo :tongue:
you need to have some faith in yourself! you will do much better than 31 and 32, you're being way too harsh. i am aiming for an A* but we're gonna need some divine intervention for that to happen lol

Thank you so much. I get really panicked and stressed in the exam, I feel like I have no time to think and I immediately try to write everything I can.

You’re so supportive and motivational! Wow you must be really good at English! Aww haha! I wish you all the best xx

I struggle mostly on paper 2 😭 I’m doing the Gothic :frown:
cool thankyou so much!! xx
Omg, I was in the same boots. It was so annoying I would always be stuck on 21s. However, I know how to structure my answer no and i insert my context after i made my point. I also try to get AO3 into my introduction... For example... Both writers were not feminists, but Rossetti worked at the Mary Magdelence Penitarty and helped reform fallen women, whereas in an Interview Henrik Ibsen stated he aimed to explore the issues that surrounded him in the "male dominated society". - Also how Norway became the second country in Europe to have full suffrage of women - Ibsen contributed to this sucess in 1913..
I also suggest using specific critics as you make your point and on your weaker paragraphs go into feminism theories, marxism...etc
Original post by greenteascratchy
Placebo and Bosola is an interesting one to look at, kinda forgot about Placebo so thanks so much! The only thing is context for Proserpina I don't have much on, do you have any other interesting context points for her?

Also with Delio, I kinda avoid writing about him but maybe there's scope with him vs Justinus/Placebo as you suggest, but I can't think of much context to support him. He is one of the only survivors at the end, and commentates on the situation. Sorry, I'm probably not helpful! This is helping me so much though so thank you~!

haha no when chatting about it, it helps so much more especially to think of new ideas. and with the context for her all I basically have is the backstory of how her and Pluto came together but thats it :/ sorry not much help haha x
is there a reason you think women or foils will come up? my teacher refuses to make predictions so I was wondering if your teacher had suggested that might come up ;p. x

To be honest it's not really a prediction or anything my teacher has said but they're just topics I would really love for to come up because I did essays on them as practice like ones that we made up and I did well on them so it would be really amazing !! But of ocurse the exam board has it out for us so there's no hope in them being nice to us - Sorry If I got you excited for nothing xx

But I haven't really seen any A level questions on them; when I looked over the questions so far I haven't really seen anything on them so far but like on the AS papers there are specific character questions but I don't know if they are likely to come up on A level paper or not.

What are your thoughts? how are you getting on with revision? how have you been getting on during the course of the year?

xx
Original post by lucy.s.p
is there a reason you think women or foils will come up? my teacher refuses to make predictions so I was wondering if your teacher had suggested that might come up ;p. x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending