The Student Room Group

A levels are all about luck

Luck as in you need to pass exams and there are so many of them (obviously not supposed to be easy). What do you guys think.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
Luck as in you need to pass exams and there are so many of them (obviously not supposed to be easy). What do you guys think.

Funny how the smart, well organised hard working students tend to be the lucky ones....
Reply 2
Original post by 999tigger
Funny how the smart, well organised hard working students tend to be the lucky ones....

Some smart ones aren't lucky though, one day in the exam room changes your life. Anything can happen, they can still fail.
There is a bit of luck involved but don't really see how you can pass if you don't revise
luck = 40% memory = 60%
Reply 5
Original post by Pepsey
There is a bit of luck involved but don't really see how you can pass if you don't revise

Yeah. what if your brain is not working on that day or the questions they ask you are curveballs? They tend to be at A level anyway
A-levels are all about hard work, you decide your own grade nothing else
Some smart ones aren't lucky though, one day in the exam room changes your life. Anything can happen, they can still fail.

Smart ones dont leave it to luck.
Reply 8
Harder you work luckier you get.
you can have luck in the sense that all you topics you revised came up and all of the ones u were unconfident with didn't come up. but you can increase ur luck by revising everything properly
Has anyone ever been in a position where they either get a U or an A due to a health problem? If so what was the outcome?
Original post by Scotney
Harder you work luckier you get.

And If you work too hard and stop eating and stop taking breaks, you might do your head in and your brain won't work or not as much as it used to.

Luck has an element, but thats why you don't sit just one paper, i don't know what its like now but when i did maths a level there were 6 exams (the same for further maths) and all the sciences required 4 exams + 2 empa's.

It's about averaging, over the course of 2 years the students whose combined work ethic + ability tend to equal the best marks, it's very rarely fluke. The luck element is very low when looking at final qualification grades.
kind of. yes, all your hard work is dependant on a few days. External factors can affect this.
(edited 4 years ago)

Hey, I think you can make you own luck though!! Work hard and you will get there!
Sophia :smile:
Reply 15
And If you work too hard and stop eating and stop taking breaks, you might do your head in and your brain won't work or not as much as it used to.

that might be working hard, but it isnt working smart. don't do that and then your hard work will actually pay off.
Reply 16
that's too generous ngl... make luck 20% and memory 80%
Original post by student101234523
luck = 40% memory = 60%
Reply 18
Absolutely this.
It's down to hard work. If you're someone like myself, who has extra time due to poor memory, it's even harder. But I have good exam technique and persuasive writing skills which are hugely beneficial in regards to the success in my subjects. Just memorising dates and stats is difficult.

If I can do decent, anyone can. Just gotta put the effort in, for some it's more than others.
Given how structured exams are, there is really little to no luck in my opinion. I could do 5 past papers and my scores will almost certainly be within 10% of each other. The largest source of "luck" is probably health - no matter how much you've prepared, if you get something serious you might not be able to sit your exams at all.

There might be a small amount of other luck, but if you're sufficiently well-prepared and have no weak spots you should hardly be affected by it as if you find it hard, everyone will probably find it hard and the boundaries will reflect that.

Quick Reply

Latest