The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Great idea! I'm 2019 applicant so I'd be glad to help if anyone has any questions! :smile:
Reply 2
Well I applied to uni this year, not to medicine or Groningen, but to UK unis as a Dutch student. I know the struggle of applying to uni abroad. So if you have any questions about the Dutch education system hmu!
Reply 3
Hi! Did you end up studying at Groningen? If so, what's it like and what do you think of the program? Thanks!
Original post by Aigle20350
Great idea! I'm 2019 applicant so I'd be glad to help if anyone has any questions! :smile:
Hey! I've gotten through the exam and am now finishing my admission procedure. I will be starting my studies this September. :smile:
Original post by qu515
Hi! Did you end up studying at Groningen? If so, what's it like and what do you think of the program? Thanks!
Reply 5
Wow, congratulations!!! So for the admission procedure, I know we need to provide high school qualifications in the necessary subjects, and then there's the selection. What else do we need to provide? Like a personal statement or essays? Is there an interview? Thanks a lot!
Hey! I've gotten through the exam and am now finishing my admission procedure. I will be starting my studies this September. :smile:
Hey, I'll be applying for Medicine at Groningen 2020 too, I'm a dutch/English student sitting my ccvx entrance exams in English soon so fingers crossed I'll pass n get in, for those who've applied already did you have to do an interview after selection day???
Original post by qu515
Wow, congratulations!!! So for the admission procedure, I know we need to provide high school qualifications in the necessary subjects, and then there's the selection. What else do we need to provide? Like a personal statement or essays? Is there an interview? Thanks a lot!

Original post by BLCK CRVCK
Hey, I'll be applying for Medicine at Groningen 2020 too, I'm a dutch/English student sitting my ccvx entrance exams in English soon so fingers crossed I'll pass n get in, for those who've applied already did you have to do an interview after selection day???

Hey guys! No there are no interviews after selection day and as far as I know the only things they want from you are your documents and a CV. Some people also uploaded motivation letters but it was not a requirement. Of course these are all based on the 2018 and 2019 admissions procedure. I don’t think they’d change it but when the time comes make sure to read the website thoroughly!
Reply 8
Hey guys! No there are no interviews after selection day and as far as I know the only things they want from you are your documents and a CV. Some people also uploaded motivation letters but it was not a requirement. Of course these are all based on the 2018 and 2019 admissions procedure. I don’t think they’d change it but when the time comes make sure to read the website thoroughly!

Just out of interest, is your offer conditional and what are the conditions?
Reply 9
And also if they ask for a motivation letter but it’s not mandatory I would definitely still do it, it’s like an unspoken requirement
Hey there! I didn't upload any motivation letter myself. Since the admissions board is mainly responsible for making sure that your background knowledge is sufficient for the programme. The decision on whether or not you suit the programme is made during the selection. So I would suggest that for admissions, make sure you give all the documents they require in time (preferably right in October when the admissions open) so they have enough time to process your application and prepare for selection with all you've got.

As for my admission, right now it is provisional cause I need to send them certified copies of my diplomas.
Original post by Annamies
Just out of interest, is your offer conditional and what are the conditions?

Original post by Annamies
And also if they ask for a motivation letter but it’s not mandatory I would definitely still do it, it’s like an unspoken requirement
I think this video might be helpful to you guys. It was for the 2019 selection and admission. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7bAYQercU4
I think this video might be helpful to you guys. It was for the 2019 selection and admission. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7bAYQercU4

Great video, enlightened me a bit, thanks!
I have a question though.. I'm Portuguese, but I did my college and highschool in Brazil. I'm going for bachelor's 2020-2021 in medicine and wanted to know how do I know if I'll have to go through the physics/math/chemistry/biology tests or not, and if so, when are those tests and where do I find the subjects I should study?

FYI in college I had Calculous 1,2,3. Physics 1,2,3 and also Chemistry 1,2.

Thank you!
Original post by guialvarenga
Great video, enlightened me a bit, thanks!
I have a question though.. I'm Portuguese, but I did my college and highschool in Brazil. I'm going for bachelor's 2020-2021 in medicine and wanted to know how do I know if I'll have to go through the physics/math/chemistry/biology tests or not, and if so, when are those tests and where do I find the subjects I should study?

FYI in college I had Calculous 1,2,3. Physics 1,2,3 and also Chemistry 1,2.

Thank you!

Hey there! Unfortunately, we can't really give you a straight answer on whether your courses are enough for not. The admissions will decide on that eventually. So I would suggest you apply as soon as possible so that you have things in order.
In case of deficiencies, you will need to take exams from either Boswell or CCVX. Their websites show their exam schedules and also suggest books and materials and what's covered.
Boswell: http://www.boswell-beta.nl/en/exams
CCVX: http://www.ccvx.nl/

Good luck!
Hey there! Unfortunately, we can't really give you a straight answer on whether your courses are enough for not. The admissions will decide on that eventually. So I would suggest you apply as soon as possible so that you have things in order.
In case of deficiencies, you will need to take exams from either Boswell or CCVX. Their websites show their exam schedules and also suggest books and materials and what's covered.
Boswell: http://www.boswell-beta.nl/en/exams
CCVX: http://www.ccvx.nl/

Good luck!

Hey Aigle,

I'll take a look on those websites.
Thanks a lot!!
Reply 15
Does anyone know if we need to submit letters of recommendation?
Original post by qu515
Does anyone know if we need to submit letters of recommendation?

From what I heard/read around, it's not mandatory but you should.
Reply 17
Just out of curiosity, is anyone looking at English-taught medicine programs other than Groningen? If so, which one(s)? (If you're comfortable sharing, of course) I'm trying to find as many options as possible. Thanks!
Anybody applying with ontario diploma?? Does everyone need to take ccvx and so on ? What is the interviewing patients like? On the cognitive test is there stuff they ask that is not on the articles? How long are the articles? Lastly how important are grades because on the open day they said they didnt care about it. I know thats a lot of questions but I really need answers 😀!!
Reply 19
Hey! I'll try to answer some of your questions from what I've read:
- Only those with one or more deficiencies in physics/math/chemistry/biology need to take CCVX or other equivalent exams.
- Not entirely sure what you mean by "What is the interviewing patients like?" If you're talking about an interview conducted by the university as part of the admissions process, I don't believe they do that anymore. In the past, apparently there have been two rounds of Selection instead of one, and one station in the second Selection assesses how you interact with a mock patient. If you're talking about the "homework" that will be sent out in mid-January, last year (or the year before that? I can't remember), the "homework" included interviewing people with chronic illnesses, but that depends on the theme of the prep material each year, and there's no guarantee that we would need to do the same this year.
- Cognitive test 1 should be based on the prep materials, but it doesn't sound like the answers would be directly found in the articles, so apparently we have to study the materials, learn the key ideas/concepts, and apply them to answer the questions. I think in a past year the prep material was somewhere around 40 pages (past applicants: please correct me if I'm wrong!), so I'd expect something like that.
- Grades don't matter that much in that there's no GPA cutoff or minimum grade required for admissions. But I think when they evaluate your portfolio, you get extra points if your grades are VWO 8+ or equivalent. Also, I think they make requirements of standardized test scores in physics/math/chem/bio (like for AP they need grades 3-5) or you'll have a deficiency.

These are all from what I've read on Groningen's website or this forum, and I hope it's helpful. Please do correct me if I'm wrong! I would also suggest emailing/calling Admissions if you have serious/urgent questions about anything. They're probably less busy right now than they would be later in the year, so they might be more responsive :smile:
Original post by ezgi.kyl
Anybody applying with ontario diploma?? Does everyone need to take ccvx and so on ? What is the interviewing patients like? On the cognitive test is there stuff they ask that is not on the articles? How long are the articles? Lastly how important are grades because on the open day they said they didnt care about it. I know thats a lot of questions but I really need answers 😀!!

Latest

Trending

Trending