The Student Room Group

A level English Language AQA paper 1 2019

Hey just wondering what people’s thoughts were on this paper? I found I didn’t have enough time! Wrote loads for child language and Q1 but barely anything for Q2 and Q3. Opinions?

Scroll to see replies

It's so annoying because I wrote around 2 sides for Q1 and 2 sides for Q2 , 1 1/2 sides for Q3 and around 3 sides of absolute waffle for Q4 (I did the spoken question). I decided that I'd leave the conclusion for Q1 until the end and wrote it out in the last 2 minutes and finished in the middle of a sentence, ugh.
Q1 2 & 3 - Horrible, Q4 - alright
Acc q1 was alright
Reply 4
I did the written question as I only revised theories on written acquisition. I honestly found that there was loads to say for Q1 I wrote around 3 pages and question 5 over 4 pages. Q2 and Q3 one and a half. Do you think thats a really bad thing?? Also wrote compounding instead of coinage I’m such an idiot 😂
My sister did the writing question! My teacher said writing 1 and a half pages (or 3 representations) for Q 1&2 should have been fine and I took that a little too lightly and literally wrote that amount for each argh... Also, don't worry I'm sure if you made one tiny error it's probably not that much of an issue! :smile:

Original post by Tillyross5
I did the written question as I only revised theories on written acquisition. I honestly found that there was loads to say for Q1 I wrote around 3 pages and question 5 over 4 pages. Q2 and Q3 one and a half. Do you think thats a really bad thing?? Also wrote compounding instead of coinage I’m such an idiot 😂
I thought Q1,2,3 were fine! The texts were easy to comprehend (thank god for no ye olde english text!) but AQA rlly did us dirty with the Q4 Child Language ugh..
Reply 7
If that’s what your teacher said you will be absolutely fine! In my opinion that paper should be 3 hours long because everyone I spoke to felt very rushed in the exam. Fingers crossed the mark scheme is nice to us 🤞
Reply 8
I found the first three questions fine just not enough time because I did the child one first. What was the speaking one? I didn’t look at it so have no idea 😂👌
Anyone remember the wording of Q4? I know it had “stimuli” and “context” in it.

The transcript was so short and the girl made like no phonological errors which meant there wasn’t a whole lot to talk about tbh, praying I did enough
Reply 10
Ran out of time on Q3 , wrote loads for Q4 tho however I thought it was a tricky question to answer but managed through
Hey just wondering what people’s thoughts were on this paper? I found I didn’t have enough time! Wrote loads for child language and Q1 but barely anything for Q2 and Q3. Opinions?
Reply 11
SAME the examiners should give more time or break the paper down !
I found the first three questions fine just not enough time because I did the child one first. What was the speaking one? I didn’t look at it so have no idea 😂👌
I really hope so! Maybe at least 2hr 45 but it did drain me a bit...
If that’s what your teacher said you will be absolutely fine! In my opinion that paper should be 3 hours long because everyone I spoke to felt very rushed in the exam. Fingers crossed the mark scheme is nice to us 🤞
Original post by ImSoIndie
Anyone remember the wording of Q4? I know it had “stimuli” and “context” in it.

The transcript was so short and the girl made like no phonological errors which meant there wasn’t a whole lot to talk about tbh, praying I did enough

I can't remember the wording either but, yeah, it was so annoying! I was going to say all these theories like the fis phenomenon and talk about consonant cluster reduction and all that jazz but I couldn't. I'm sure you'll be fine though.
Reply 14
The spoken question was so complicated, they really wanted to throw us off.
I Think it was (this might not be word for word)
'Without the stimulus of different contexts, children's language cannot be developed fully'
'Evaluate'

Original post by katielolo
I can't remember the wording either but, yeah, it was so annoying! I was going to say all these theories like the fis phenomenon and talk about consonant cluster reduction and all that jazz but I couldn't. I'm sure you'll be fine though.
Reply 15
I’m sure if everybody is feeling this way about Q4 and struggled to write theory the grade boundaries will be low for this question 😊 I spoke to my friends after and they had the same problem with Q4, we also have paper two to pull up our grades!!
Reply 16
How many theorists did you guys include approx?
Original post by katielolo

Yess exactly, whenever I see a phonological error I feel like doing a little dance because there’s so much terminology!! There was also no obvious Behaviourism link, the mother seemed a bit inept and never corrected/recasted Erin’s errors it was driving me crazy! As soon as I saw that the transcript was only half a page long I though oh dear gonna have to scrape the barrel with this one
Original post by zolaxxx
The spoken question was so complicated, they really wanted to throw us off.
I Think it was (this might not be word for word)
'Without the stimulus of different contexts, children's language cannot be developed fully'
'Evaluate'

It was definitely something like that. I just tried to include what I could but I don't really think the writing question was better.
OMG I hated those cla questions there was literally nothing good on them and nothing great to say. But the first 3 were okay tbh

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending