The Student Room Group

A-Level Edexcel Economics B Paper 1 2019 Unofficial Markscheme 20/05

Went quite well I think. Case study was Nike and New Balance.

One question was calculate the net profit margin which I got something like 11.73% (4)

One was how New Balance has features like gel-slick soles to seperate it from competitors (4)

One was total cost of a Chinese sportswear firm Anta and I got $2,052,000,000 total cost. (4)

One was show an excess demand diagram to New Balance trainers selling out and impact on price (6)

One was assess the view that sales maximisation is New Balances main objective (8)

The impact of an increase in interest rates on New Balance within the UK market (10)

One question was explain if economies of scale are important to Nike. (12) but didn't really know how to say they weren't important. Think I said something about non-price competition as a counter to why they're not important.

One was assess the stakeholder conflicts which will occur as a result of employing labour in developed economies eg UK and USA (12)

Regulation of energy firms and how it benefits consumers. (20)

The other was on education as a merit good and the impact on the UK economy of government intervention into education. (20)

FEEL FREE TO CORRECT ANY ANSWERS :wink:
(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Tr0picalgaming
Went quite well I think. Case study was Nike and New Balance. Can't remember the questions.

One question was calculate the net profit margin which I got something like 11.57% (4)

One was how New Balance has features like gel-slick soles to seperate it from competitors (4)

One was total cost of a Chinese sportswear firm Anta and I got $2,052,000,000 total cost. (4)

One was show an excess demand diagram to New Balance trainers selling out and impact on price (6)

One was assess the view that sales maximisation is New Balances main objective (8)

One question was explain if economies of scale are important to Nike. (12) but didn't really know how to say they weren't important. Think I said something about non-price competition.

One was assess the stakeholder conflicts which will occur as a result of employing labour in developed economies eg UK and USA (12)

The other was on education as a merit good and the impact on the UK economy of government intervention into education. (20_

What exam board is this for?

Edit: Never mind, DO'H
Reply 2
wat do u think the grade boundaries will be, did u think it was ahrd, i couldnt finish the paper

One question was calculate the net profit margin which I got something like 11.57% (4)

One question was explain if economies of scale are important to Nike. (12) but didn't really know how to say they weren't important. Think I said something about non-price competition as a counter to why they're not important.

The other was on education as a merit good and the impact on the UK economy of government intervention into education. (20)
Original post by kaam1234
wat do u think the grade boundaries will be, did u think it was ahrd, i couldnt finish the paper

Hard to predict our class of about 15 students generally thought it was quite good but thats more of a reflection upon teaching than a nation consensus. I found the test alright - timing was a bit of an issue but I answered every question just rushed a few of them. Last years grade boundaries are attached so take from that what you will. Will be interesting to see any more verdict on the paper.
Struggled massively :frown: timing was such a problem! Hopefully low grade boundaries or my whole class is screwed 😂 we all found it difficult
Original post by TylerRoss
Struggled massively :frown: timing was such a problem! Hopefully low grade boundaries or my whole class is screwed 😂 we all found it difficult

Ahh ok sorry to hear that. Think timing was the main issue with most people including myself but didn't think the questions were too bad. Nothing we can do now but wait for August :smile:.
I thought that it went alright, i got 11.58% for the first calculation so glad to see someone else got similar as I had no clue about the formula. Thought that the first section was an absolute godsend but the two twenty markers were quite difficult, the regulation one was alright but the government intervention one i ran out of things to say. Overall, an alright paper and hopefully Thursday's paper is kind to us as well.
Yesss I got the same for total costs and 11.57%
Original post by danheskey
I thought that it went alright, i got 11.58% for the first calculation so glad to see someone else got similar as I had no clue about the formula. Thought that the first section was an absolute godsend but the two twenty markers were quite difficult, the regulation one was alright but the government intervention one i ran out of things to say. Overall, an alright paper and hopefully Thursday's paper is kind to us as well.

Ahh glad to hear it. Yeah the start was nice but didn't really like the regulation one. Would agree it was a nice paper and hope Thursdays in nice as well :smile:
Original post by Makapakloser
Yesss I got the same for total costs and 11.57%

My G my G
For the excess demand diagram did you shift the demand curve or did you draw an excess demand diagram?

FEEL FREE TO CORRECT ANY ANSWERS :wink:
My young g
Original post by chickennuggs123
For the excess demand diagram did you shift the demand curve or did you draw an excess demand diagram?

I didn't shift it nah. I did what the diagram I have attached shows. I showed the market equilibrium and where excess demand exists
(edited 4 years ago)
Phewww me too 😂 Quite a few people shifted the demand curve in my class
I didn't shift it nah. I did what the diagram I have attached shows minus the excess supply lines. I showed the market equilibrium and where excess demand exists.
RIP - watch econdalplus
But u did shifty demand curve
Original post by chickennuggs123
Phewww me too 😂 Quite a few people shifted the demand curve in my class

Doesn't mean we're right but think its what you're supposed to do :smile:
Original post by Makapakloser
But u did shifty demand curve

Nah I didn't move the demand curve.
The diagram u put shows a shift tin the demand curve
Also supply curve can shift left

Quick Reply

Latest