The Student Room Group

**CCEA A2 Level Exams 2019 - Thread for discussing thought/predictions etc **

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Sharpshooter
The uniform circular equation was the easiest of the lot.

I got T= 1.52N I think although I can't remember (1 point something anyway)

Yeah I got like 1.63 for the tension
Original post by Davydartboard
Yeah I got like 1.63 for the tension

same pretty much
Its talking about penetration and range so you have to be specific to that, there wasn't a lot you could talk about really so I assume 2 of the 6 marks are quality of written communication (it did say this on the front of the paper)
Its talking about penetration and range so you have to be specific to that, there wasn't a lot you could talk about really so I assume 2 of the 6 marks are quality of written communication (it did say this on the front of the paper)

aah that makes sense

that's good because I didn't talk about BE either

I mentioned its mass and speed and charge and its interaction with air particles being high tho
i just hope the grade boundaries aren't too high
For the diagram for the Force/Extension question in Q1 did you just the two wires (test and reference) Vernier scale, taut load on the reference, variable load on the test wire, and the ceiling/support? The wires being the same length obviously.

5 marks, a lot of marks for an easy diagram.
(edited 4 years ago)
For the diagram for the Force/Extension question in Q1 did you just the two wires (test and reference) Vernier scale, taut load on the reference, variable load on the test wire, and the ceiling/support? The wires being the same length obviously.

5 marks, a lot of marks for an easy diagram.

I actually drew the even easier diagram - the one from the revision book

where a wire is clamped at one and and the other end is pulled over a pulley and hangs vertically adjacent to a metre rule with loaded masses attached to that end

I thought it was weird that diagram was worth 5 marks too
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by 134841422
I actually drew the even easier diagram - the one from the revision book

where a wire is clamped at one and and the other end is pulled over a pulley and hangs vertically adjacent to a metre rule with loaded masses attached to that end

I thought it was weird that diagram was worth 5 marks too

Oh, one of us probably wrong then. Although they could be quite flexible.

The diagram I drew was specifically for the Youngs Modulus experiment really, its the only diagram in that first chapter in the book (the larger a4 one). But it certainly can be used to calculate force and extension as long as the Vernier Scale is drawn I would have thought.
What factors did you say were kept constant in Charles question showing the arrangement of the apparatus?
Oh, one of us probably wrong then. Although they could be quite flexible.

The diagram I drew was specifically for the Youngs Modulus experiment really, its the only diagram in that first chapter in the book (the larger a4 one). But it certainly can be used to calculate force and extension as long as the Vernier Scale is drawn I would have thought.

I mean both of us can be right - unless I miss remember they only wanted a diagram with apparatus that could be used to draw the graph on the first page

both of ours could work - since I'm pretty sure they didn't ask for Young Modulus; i could be wrong tho
What factors did you say were kept constant in Charles question showing the arrangement of the apparatus?

mass of gas and its pressure

- Fixed mass of gas.
- Constant pressure from the thread and atmosphere

I wasn't sure because they never mentioned the law in the question so I though that made sense. You could say stirring so the temperature of the liquid was equal to the temperature of the trapped, but I thought the law itself was more apt.
the most surprising and weird thing about this paper was that there was nothing surprising and weird
Original post by 134841422
I mean both of us can be right - unless I miss remember they only wanted a diagram with apparatus that could be used to draw the graph on the first page

both of ours could work - since I'm pretty sure they didn't ask for Young Modulus; i could be wrong tho

It is a diagram for Youngs Modulus but it can easily be used for to deduce Force and extension so long as you have a load and Vernier scale showing the extension being measured.
What graph did you draw for the length vs temperature? Kelvin or Celsius?
I'm hoping I've lost no more than 10-15 marks here. Think I would be in difficulty in getting the A if drop anymore.
Original post by Benkxnnedy
What graph did you draw for the length vs temperature? Kelvin or Celsius?

Kelvin - so all I had to do was draw a straight line through origin
It is a diagram for Youngs Modulus but it can easily be used for to deduce Force and extension so long as you have a load and Vernier scale showing the extension being measured.

wait - did they ask for a diagram for the YM?
I'm hoping I've lost no more than 10-15 marks here. Think I would be in difficulty in getting the A if drop anymore.

same - i need that A desperately
I don't intend on giving this paper a 3rd time
I did Celsius with a line crossing the y intercept :/
Last years A23 was 78/90 (87%) for the A and 74/90 (82%) for the B, could be looking at something similar but A21/A22 papers are never scaled like practical's.

Quick Reply

Latest