The Student Room Group

Sociology A level

What are the ways in which marketisation and privatisation have impacted on educational achievement??
Marketisation has impacted educational achievement because all education institutions now have to publish league tables which created competition amongst schools, this puts students at risk because schools are more bothered about funding from the government than the students educational achievement. Also, the educational triage has risen from marketisation, this is where students are put into three groups; likely to pass, unlikely to pass and those that need a little help to pass. This is labelling students which may lead to a self fulfilling prophecy which decreases students educational achievement, furthermore teachers are likely to treat those labelled as 'likely to pass' better than those who are labelled as 'unlikely to pass'.

Hope this helped :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by catherinehooper
Marketisation has impacted educational achievement because all education institutions now have to publish league tables which created competition amongst schools, this puts students at risk because schools are more bothered about funding from the government than the students educational achievement. Also, the educational triage has risen from marketisation, this is where students are put into three groups; likely to pass, unlikely to pass and those that need a little help to pass. This is labelling students which may lead to a self fulfilling prophecy which decreases students educational achievement, furthermore teachers are likely to treat those labelled as 'likely to pass' better than those who are labelled as 'unlikely to pass'.

Hope this helped :smile:

Thank you so much but how do I make privatisation fit in though
Reply 3
hi everyone do you reckon government policy is actually going to come up? <3
Reply 4
Original post by Jdjdid
hi everyone do you reckon government policy is actually going to come up? <3

It might come because it came on the 2017 paper 😭
Reply 5
I thought in 2017 it was the social class question
Original post by Rudo18xx
It might come because it came on the 2017 paper 😭
Reply 6
Original post by Jdjdid
I thought in 2017 it was the social class question

One of the ten markers it was about government policy( parental choice)
Reply 7
Hopefully it doesn't come up and it would be something ethnicity, class or gender
One of the ten markers it was about government policy( parental choice)
Reply 8
Original post by Jdjdid
Hopefully it doesn't come up and it would be something ethnicity, class or gender

Class came on the As last week so idk
Reply 9
Loads are saying government policy but I have no idea how you evaluate and structure it
Class came on the As last week so idk
Reply 10
Original post by Jdjdid
Loads are saying government policy but I have no idea how you evaluate and structure it

Yeah I heard people saying marketisation lol but no one knows

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending