The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by fatcatslol
Does anyone have any predictions for the paper or revision tips on how to revise how the exam is approching? im thinking for othello for cassio to be mentioned somewhere in othello
My texts are:
Othello
Keats
Death of a salesman

I have a feeling that the extract question for Othello may be somewhere in Act 5 Scene 2 - Has never come up before in an A-Level paper and is quite a significant scene to the tragedy of the play as a whole

Its extremely difficult to predict what could come up for the 'statement' essays as it could literally be anything. In this sense, its probably better, for revision, to just memorise quotes/analysis/critics/context and link them to the different themes of tragedy
Reply 2
do you thinks there are links between the as papers and the a level (as in if it comes up on as paper it wont come up on the a level paper)
Original post by Contradicted
I have a feeling that the extract question for Othello may be somewhere in Act 5 Scene 2 - Has never come up before in an A-Level paper and is quite a significant scene to the tragedy of the play as a whole

Its extremely difficult to predict what could come up for the 'statement' essays as it could literally be anything. In this sense, its probably better, for revision, to just memorise quotes/analysis/critics/context and link them to the different themes of tragedy
do you thinks there are links between the as papers and the a level (as in if it comes up on as paper it wont come up on the a level paper)

I think that the things that come up in AS papers are UNLIKELY to come up but there is always the possibility of it coming.
Reply 4
for those asking these came up

extract from act 5 scene 2 just before othello commits suicide he says this speech (blessing)
Othello a misguided murderer not a cruel one
something about othellos military position
in tragedies positive emerge
in tragedys, there is an exceptional character who falls from good to msiery

(not the exact wording but as much as i can remember)
Reply 5
you were right!

you were right!

I know, I got so gassed!
Reply 7
Hey guys what do you think will come up for paper 2?
I’m doing William Blake, Kite Runner and A Doll’s House
Reply 8
im doing blake kite runner and handmaids tale. I am reallyyy not sure at all, hate paper 2 lol. i think for blake its limiting as to what you can ask, usually its oppression,children,parenting,chruch,society. but im not really sure, id wait for someone else to reply lol.
Original post by t.svp
Hey guys what do you think will come up for paper 2?
I’m doing William Blake, Kite Runner and A Doll’s House
Reply 9
im doing blake kite runner and handmaids tale. I am reallyyy not sure at all, hate paper 2 lol. i think for blake its limiting as to what you can ask, usually its oppression,children,parenting,chruch,society. but im not really sure, id wait for someone else to reply lol.

How would you suggest on how to link Kite Runner with Blake bc I really struggle with that lol
Original post by t.svp
How would you suggest on how to link Kite Runner with Blake bc I really struggle with that lol

You can find parallels between Kite Runner and Blake in terms of social hierarchy and ethnic superiority.

In 'The Little Black Boy', Blake crafts the black boys character to be understanding towards the social stigma associated with black=bad and white=good, through "I am black, but oh! My soul is white" which suggests Blake's dislike towards the socially accepted racism towards other ethnic groups. Hosseini also criticises ethnic inequality through the main event in the novel being Hassan's rape which represents the exploitation and oppression of the Hazara minority group throughout Afghanistan.

Hope that helped!
Reply 11
wow, i never thought of that!
You can find parallels between Kite Runner and Blake in terms of social hierarchy and ethnic superiority.

In 'The Little Black Boy', Blake crafts the black boys character to be understanding towards the social stigma associated with black=bad and white=good, through "I am black, but oh! My soul is white" which suggests Blake's dislike towards the socially accepted racism towards other ethnic groups. Hosseini also criticises ethnic inequality through the main event in the novel being Hassan's rape which represents the exploitation and oppression of the Hazara minority group throughout Afghanistan.

Hope that helped!
In paper 2 I'm doing Tony Harrison poetry, Kite and Hard Times :| Needless to say, comparison is interesting lol. How are people feeling about the unseen section?
Original post by edtcornforth
In paper 2 I'm doing Tony Harrison poetry, Kite and Hard Times :| Needless to say, comparison is interesting lol. How are people feeling about the unseen section?

Thats my weakest part of the exam. Do you have any tips?
Reply 14
something i do often but have stopped is analyse line by line, which shouldnt be done as u end up not only narrating but not looking at the text as a whole. i think its jus a matter of recognising social and politcal elements within a text.
something i do often but have stopped is analyse line by line, which shouldnt be done as u end up not only narrating but not looking at the text as a whole. i think its jus a matter of recognising social and politcal elements within a text.

Ah I see. Thank you for the tip!
idk but I don't think it'll be prose this year, maybe poetry because that hasn't came up before.
Original post by AlexThirkle
idk but I don't think it'll be prose this year, maybe poetry because that hasn't came up before.

Yeah there's every chance that it could be a poetry rather than prose. Either way, there would be elements of social and political writing that you would identify and write about. But I think it's harder to find those elements in poetry rather than prose.
Hi,

I’m currently coming towards the end of year 12 and have been studying the following texts:
Death of a salesman
King Lear
Keats Poetry

I would really appreciate so revision materials/advice/ example essays. :smile:
Original post by Olivia2001xx
What were the questions on other papers? Does anyone have anything on the question for the unseen section, Handmaid’s and Kite Runner or Blakes poetry?

Ahahah you Trying to get the questions for the mocks too?

Latest

Trending

Trending