The Student Room Group

Edexcel A-Level Physics Paper 2 (Advanced Physics II) - 24 May 2019 [Exam Discussion]

This poll is closed

How did you find this paper?

Amazing 21%
Good 47%
Okay 26%
Bad 3%
Awful2%
Total votes: 282

Edexcel Physics Paper 2 (Advanced Physics II)

Date: 24 May 2019
Session: AM
Length: 1h45
Marks: 90 (30% of the total A-level)

Paper 2 covers:

Topic 1 - Working as a Physicist

Topic 4 - Materials

Topic 5 - Waves and Particle Nature of Light

Topic 9 - Thermodynamics

Topic 10 - Space

Topic 11 - Nuclear Radiation

Topic 12 - Gravitational Fields

Topic 13 - Oscillations

A formula booklet is at the end of the paper, and can be found here.

At least 40% of the marks over the three papers is awarded for maths at level 2 or above.

Other Edexcel Physics Exams:
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

If you're planning to use old spec papers a mapping is below:

Unit 1 - Materials

Unit 2 - Waves and the Particle Nature of Light

Unit 5 - Thermodynamics, Space, Nuclear Radiation, Gravitational Fields, Oscillations

These units contain the following that isn't in the new specification:

Materials - Fluid flow diagrams

Materials - Definitions of mechanical properties such as ductile, brittle, hard, malleable, tough.

Waves and Particle Nature of Light - Identifying, and describing applications of, regions of the electromagnetic spectrum.

Waves and Particle Nature of Light - How different media affects the transmission/reflection of waves.

The following do not appear in the old specification:

Waves and Particle Nature of Light - Use of the equation v=Tμ\displaystyle v = \sqrt{\frac T \mu}

Waves and Particle Nature of Light - Optics: focal length, ray diagrams, power of lens, real and virtual lenses, lens formulae, magnification.

Waves and Particle Nature of Light - Use of Huygens construction. Use of the equation nλ=dsinθn \lambda = d \sin \theta

Thermodynamics - Specific latent heat.

Thermodynamics - Derivation and use of pV=13Nmc2pV = \frac 1 3 N m \langle {c^2} \rangle. Use of kinetic theory model.

Thermodynamics - Derivation of 12mc2=32kT\frac 1 2 m \langle {c^2} \rangle = \frac 3 2 kT

Nuclear Radiation - Use of binding energy per nucleon curve to explain why fission/fusion release energy.

Gravitational Fields - Use of gravitational potential equation V=GMrV = \frac {-GM} r

(edited 4 years ago)
Any predictions for the paper
Original post by IDKIDKIDK

After getting ****ed by paper 1, I just want something that I can walk out of without feeling like I've failed lmao.
I know right
Original post by _gcx
After getting ****ed by paper 1, I just want something that I can walk out of without feeling like I've failed lmao.
Reply 5
Hopefully this one will bee OK.
Original post by ph3rs0n
Hopefully this one will bee OK.

My friend pointed out that the 24th May is national sunscreen day. Perhaps be(e) prepared for a question on the dangers of UV radiation.
Original post by _gcx
My friend pointed out that the 24th May is national sunscreen day. Perhaps be(e) prepared for a question on the dangers of UV radiation.

its also tiara day, snail day, and asparagus day,
Original post by JJJJJAAAAMES

Total internal reflection for tiara day? :^)
:biggrin:
Prediction 1: Tiaras and the reflection of light
Prediction 2: Snails in Space
Prediction 3: Asparagus and something to do with gravity
Original post by JJJJJAAAAMES
Prediction 1: Tiaras and the reflection of light
Prediction 2: Snails in Space
Prediction 3: Asparagus and something to do with gravity

To be fair - TIR in diamonds has popped up quite a few times before so you never know.
for the question where you had to define electric field , i said its a region where a charged particle experiences a force will i get a mark
Original post by mdearing
for the question where you had to define electric field , i said its a region where a charged particle experiences a force will i get a mark

that’s what i put as well
That's the definition in the book
its says non contact force
That's the definition in the book

I was a bit more general and said "body" hope I get the mark.
Reply 16
Original post by physicsnotgood1
that’s what i put as well

it was only one mark so yeah the previous definition in other mark schemes was literally ' a region/area were a charged particle experiences a force' if it was for two you would put the 'force is constant at any distance between two plates'
Reply 17
think derivation of kinetic gas theory equation (pv=1/3Nm<c>^2) is quite likely to come up
Original post by 5_nine
think derivation of kinetic gas theory equation (pv=1/3Nm<c>^2) is quite likely to come up

My teacher goes on about this, and I think it's definitely something you should keep in mind.
Does anyone know what the derivation goes like?

Quick Reply

Latest