The Student Room Group

How easy is a dissertation

How easy is a Psychology dissertation if you start early and put in work and effort? We have an option between 18 pages quantitate or 22 pages qualitative.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I don't do psychology but I'm doing something that involves psychology. I would say as long as your dissertation has a good design and a good research question, you'll be fine.

As with any dissertation, the earlier you start, the better. Do you know what your research question will be?
Reply 2
No clue because I'll be starting next year but I need an idea of what a dissertation is like and whether its hard or not to get a good mark because many people say they get 50's and I'm wondering if its possible to get a better mark?

Original post by UWS
I don't do psychology but I'm doing something that involves psychology. I would say as long as your dissertation has a good design and a good research question, you'll be fine.

As with any dissertation, the earlier you start, the better. Do you know what your research question will be?
Reply 3
Dead straightforward with proper prior planning.
Reply 4
What did you get may I ask or if you know other people, what did they get with proper prior planning?
Original post by gjd800
Dead straightforward with proper prior planning.
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous
No clue because I'll be starting next year but I need an idea of what a dissertation is like and whether its hard or not to get a good mark because many people say they get 50's and I'm wondering if its possible to get a better mark?

Well, you typically have a research question. You'll have to plan how you're going to investigate it with a method plan that includes participants, design, materials and procedure. So perhaps if you're going to conduct some interviews or focus groups for qualitative data or if you're going to need equipment to monitor body attributes for quantitative data, you'll have to decide this for yourself.

A clear plan is important. Your supervisor will probably help you with that so don't worry.
Reply 6
Im worrying because I feel like second year I'm going to finish with a 53% and I'm going to be more motivated next year to do well and start early. I was wondering if getting a 2:1 is possible if I focus hard and do everything prior than leaving it last minute. My classification is split 35/65% second and third year.

Stressed to the point that I'm depressing myself too much lol.
Original post by UWS
Well, you typically have a research question. You'll have to plan how you're going to investigate it with a method plan that includes participants, design, materials and procedure. So perhaps if you're going to conduct some interviews or focus groups for qualitative data or if you're going to need equipment to monitor body attributes for quantitative data, you'll have to decide this for yourself.

A clear plan is important. Your supervisor will probably help you with that so don't worry.
How easy is a Psychology dissertation if you start early and put in work and effort? We have an option between 18 pages quantitate or 22 pages qualitative.

This seems odd to assign a page count for a disso, most Unis do word counts, as margins, page formatting, text size number of tables/figures can easily be manipulated to change the size of the report.
It also seems odd to me that they use to fairly random but oddly specific values (18 & 22) for this limit.

In my experience, if u create a good project plan in advance and set yourself good targets for research & write up achieving a mark in the mid 70s is easily doable
Reply 8
What did you get may I ask or if you know other people, what did they get with proper prior planning?

I didn't do psych, but I got an 86 for mine. My woman at the time had done a psych degree and her disso was a first class, can't remember exactly but maybe a 74. It was cool anyway.
Reply 9
Most my assignments have been page count than word counts. Also I have no idea why there is a specific value lol.
Do you know many people who also did the same method and achieved a mark in their mid 70s?

Thanks for your reply!
Original post by mnot
This seems odd to assign a page count for a disso, most Unis do word counts, as margins, page formatting, text size number of tables/figures can easily be manipulated to change the size of the report.
It also seems odd to me that they use to fairly random but oddly specific values (18 & 22) for this limit.

In my experience, if u create a good project plan in advance and set yourself good targets for research & write up achieving a mark in the mid 70s is easily doable
honestly...I'm not a genius, and I havent done a dissertation, but I hear they're usually 20 pages or so, so I have done papers and reports before that were nearly that long.

It's all about the outline bruh. The power of the outline.

What you do is...set up the right question/thesis.

Then build the paper with questions to answer or describe the thesis

Then do the research question by question, and answer each with a couple paragraphs/pages, and citations, remembering your purpose for that question, and towards the thesis

Then have subtopics. Title them throughout the paper, kind of like chapters to a novel. It's just sections/parts of your paper.

Also to fill in pages, provide other sources like surveys, charts, but minimally compared to the amount of text/words.

There you go really. I've surprised a whole hell of a lot of teachers and lecturers over the years and that's my formula/process really. And I'm just a "chav." So you could probably do miles better.
That is amazing! So starting early, planning and meeting up with your supervisor are keys to getting well and hopefully nothing could go wrong if I stick to this plan?
Original post by gjd800
I didn't do psych, but I got an 86 for mine. My woman at the time had done a psych degree and her disso was a first class, can't remember exactly but maybe a 74. It was cool anyway.
Reply 12
That is amazing! So starting early, planning and meeting up with your supervisor are keys to getting well and hopefully nothing could go wrong if I stick to this plan?

Yep. Keep in contact, meet any deadlines, don't be afraid to ask your supervisor if you have concerns.
thank you so much for the support! This is very very helpful advice :smile:
Original post by Bang Outta Order
honestly...I'm not a genius, and I havent done a dissertation, but I hear they're usually 20 pages or so, so I have done papers and reports before that were nearly that long.

Then do the research question by question, and answer each with a couple paragraphs/pages, and citations, remembering your purpose for that question, and towards the thesis

Then have subtopics. Title them throughout the paper, kind of like chapters to a novel. It's just sections/parts of your paper.

Also to fill in pages, provide other sources like surveys, charts, but minimally compared to the amount of text/words.

There you go really. I've surprised a whole hell of a lot of teachers and lecturers over the years and that's my formula/process really. And I'm just a "chav." So you could probably do miles better.
Original post by Bang Outta Order

There you go really. I've surprised a whole hell of a lot of teachers and lecturers over the years and that's my formula/process really. :hugs:

Why are you doubting your ability :redface:
thank you so much for the support! This is very very helpful advice :smile:

:redface: ta
Why are you doubting your ability :redface:

u tryna get me emotional...? :colonhash:
You will be fine, only university that i know of that uses page numbers is Surrey.
Like I mentioned above, Im worrying because I feel like second year I'm going to finish with a 53% and I'm going to be more motivated next year to do well and start early. I was wondering if getting a 2:1 is possible if I focus hard and do everything prior than leaving it last minute. My classification is split 35/65% second and third year.
Original post by gjd800
Yep. Keep in contact, meet any deadlines, don't be afraid to ask your supervisor if you have concerns.
Reply 18
Like I mentioned above, Im worrying because I feel like second year I'm going to finish with a 53% and I'm going to be more motivated next year to do well and start early. I was wondering if getting a 2:1 is possible if I focus hard and do everything prior than leaving it last minute. My classification is split 35/65% second and third year.

It is an ask but it is possible if you really work at it and hit the ground running, as you say. All you can do is your best!
Correct :smile:
Original post by random_matt
You will be fine, only university that i know of that uses page numbers is Surrey.

Quick Reply

Latest