The Student Room Group

Do I need to have a word with this staff member?

A staff member said about me infront of others'he doesn't even know what day it is', do I need to have a conversation with this staff member?
Original post by Jamesman1
A staff member said about me infront of others'he doesn't even know what day it is', do I need to have a conversation with this staff member?

Not enough context of who you are, setting , staff member and your relationship to them.
Reply 2
Care home, care worker, she was shift leader
Original post by 999tigger
Not enough context of who you are, setting , staff member and your relationship to them.

And you are? Co-worker, manager, member of the public?
Is she older? Said with vindictiveness?
What does your version of having a word involve?
Reply 4
I'm co-worker, she's middle aged, Passive aggressive, my word would be telling her I don't like her talking to me like that
And you are? Co-worker, manager, member of the public?
Is she older? Said with vindictiveness?
What does your version of having a word involve?
I'm co-worker, she's middle aged, Passive aggressive, my word would be telling her I don't like her talking to me like that

You could but will that be any more effective than telling a supervisor?
In some circumstances I think I would ignore it for not being worth the effort.
A sensible person who is criticised would reflect on that criticism and, if it is valid, use it to improve their own performance. Complaining to a supervisor about justified criticism is not a good idea, and being prissy about your vanity being hurt is not good either (only if the criticism is unjustified would a discussion about that be a sensible move forward). Otherwise, a discussion about how you can improve is the clever move.
Reply 7
I'm still confused why she would say it as I've never done anything stupid at my work for her to authentically say it.
You could but will that be any more effective than telling a supervisor?
In some circumstances I think I would ignore it for not being worth the effort.
I'm still confused why she would say it as I've never done anything stupid at my work for her to authentically say it.

I wasnt there and I dont know the personalities. Its just workplace tensions.
Be careful about workplace situations as the ripples from conflict can be more trouble than its worth.
Someone could say those same words in a patronising, sarcastic , joshing or paternal way.

In most cases I would just ignore it, but is she keeps repeating it then have a word. Keep a diary if it helps. Once you go down the path of confrontation, then the results and consequences can be unpredictable.

If you must confront then just ask her what she meant by it and be really polite. That way she can hang herself and you have pointed it out.

You won't help the situation at all by being confrontational like that. Tell her that you overheard the comment and ask her why she said it and what examples she can give of how you aren;t meeting her expectations. Listen to what she says, don't respond there and then, take it away and work out why her perspective might be like that as a manager and more experienced staff member. Work out whether you can change/adapt, or whether you need to find another job that fits you better.

A few weeks ago you were a website programmer and co-owner.

Quick Reply

Latest