The Student Room Group

Chemistry - Acids, bases and buffers question help!

Hi everyone,

I'm stuck on this question, I've tried a few different methods but I can't get to the mark scheme answer. Please could someone help me

Here is the question:

This question involves calculations about two strong acids and one weak acid. All measurements were carried out at 25 °C.
3 –3
(a) A 25.0 cm sample of 0.0850 mol dm hydrochloric acid was placed in a beaker and 100 cm3 of distilled water were added. Calculate the pH of the new solution formed. Give your answer to 2 decimal places.

Thank you in advance :smile:
Is the pH 3.37? I've tried a method but I'm not sure if its right
Original post by Mermaidqueen
Is the pH 3.37? I've tried a method but I'm not sure if its right

Thanks for your reply, but the mark scheme says the pH should be 1.77
Reply 3
image.jpg
Really ugly late night working out but hope this helps ! If you have any questions feel free to ask :smile:
ohhhhh, that's how you do it! I just have one teeny tiny question, if we add 100cm^2 of water, isn't there a dilution factor of 5 how come the number of moles of HCl doesn't change?
Original post by cciaran
image.jpg
Really ugly late night working out but hope this helps ! If you have any questions feel free to ask :smile:
Original post by cciaran
image.jpg

Thank you! That makes complete sense I completely forgot to work out the new volume and therefore new concentration! PS, your workings are quite neat! :smile:
Reply 6
As far as I know the number of moles doesn’t change if the volume increases, the moles are still in there, just in a larger volume. The concentration only changes which is what you had to work out.

Say you have 5g (imagine it as moles) of sugar in 100cm3 of water, you have 5 moles of sugar solution.
If you increase the volume by adding 900cm3, you still have 5g, or 5 moles, just in a larger volume :wink:
Original post by Mermaidqueen
ohhhhh, that's how you do it! I just have one teeny tiny question, if we add 100cm^2 of water, isn't there a dilution factor of 5 how come the number of moles of HCl doesn't change?
(edited 4 years ago)
Oh I see... That makes so much sense! Thank you, I completely forgot that the moles is number of atoms so obviously it shouldn't change 🤦🏻*♀️🤦🏻*♀️
Original post by cciaran
As far as I know the number of moles doesn’t change if the volume increases, the moles are still in there, just in a larger volume. The concentration only changes which is what you had to work out.

Say you have 5g (imagine it as moles) of sugar in 100cm3 of water, you have 5 moles of sugar.
If you increase the volume by adding 900cm3, you still have 5g/moles, but in a larger volume :wink:
Reply 8
No problem, I’m glad it makes sense! Thank you :h:
Original post by science_geeks
Thank you! That makes complete sense I completely forgot to work out the new volume and therefore new concentration! PS, your workings are quite neat! :smile:
an easy way is:
original H+ conc x old volume/new volume = new H= conc. then you can plug this into the orginal -logH+ to find the pH.
of course this is only for monobasic acids and units for both volumes have to be the same. and you can also use this for all the acid and base dilution questions. i got 1.77? is that correct

Hi everyone,

I'm stuck on this question, I've tried a few different methods but I can't get to the mark scheme answer. Please could someone help me

Here is the question:

This question involves calculations about two strong acids and one weak acid. All measurements were carried out at 25 °C.
3 –3
(a) A 25.0 cm sample of 0.0850 mol dm hydrochloric acid was placed in a beaker and 100 cm3 of distilled water were added. Calculate the pH of the new solution formed. Give your answer to 2 decimal places.

Thank you in advance :smile:
Original post by andrea.lab
an easy way is:
original H+ conc x old volume/new volume = new H= conc. then you can plug this into the orginal -logH+ to find the pH.
of course this is only for monobasic acids and units for both volumes have to be the same. and you can also use this for all the acid and base dilution questions. i got 1.77? is that correct

That’s an easy way too! Yep, you’re right 1.77 is the pH 😊
Original post by cciaran

Say you have 5g (imagine it as moles) of sugar in 100cm3 of water, you have 5 moles of sugar solution.
If you increase the volume by adding 900cm3, you still have 5g, or 5 moles, just in a larger volume :wink:

Hi again! @cciaran, I needed some help with a maths question and was wondering whether you'd be able to help? Thank you! :smile:
Sorry I just saw this, but if you still need help I can try! :smile:
Hi again! @cciaran, I needed some help with a maths question and was wondering whether you'd be able to help? Thank you! :smile:
Original post by cciaran
Sorry I just saw this, but if you still need help I can try! :smile:

Thank you! Sorry, I know it's not chemistry but here it is: Q5d. Thank you :smile:

Quick Reply