The Student Room Group

Edexcel History IAL Civil Rights and Race relations Discussion Thread

Exam is on the 21st of May. Still a lot to learn. Anyone else struggleling?

Scroll to see replies

Hi! i'm sitting the same exam also :smile:
The best way you can revise for this paper is making sure you know content for each time period, specifically about the role of the federal government, the social,economic,political improvements made for the african americans, the groups that attempted to stop the progression, the migration, and the individuals who made an impact. You'll be fine, just make sure you have at least 3-6 points backed up with statistics for all 5 factors in all 5 periods!
Reply 2
Ok thanks, do you think we need to know a lot about Obama and also about the impact of media and changes in black migration?

Original post by samihahamze
Hi! i'm sitting the same exam also :smile:
The best way you can revise for this paper is making sure you know content for each time period, specifically about the role of the federal government, the social,economic,political improvements made for the african americans, the groups that attempted to stop the progression, the migration, and the individuals who made an impact. You'll be fine, just make sure you have at least 3-6 points backed up with statistics for all 5 factors in all 5 periods!
Impact of media, not really, we haven't focused much on it with our teacher. The migration I would recommend as they may ask an essay question about it between 2 eras. With Obama, I think we have to as it may show up as a source question...the thing is, it already did show up, but it might be beneficial for the essay question. I say dont focus on media, but do focus on Obama and migration! Did you sit paper 1 today? Which topic did you sit and how was it?
Original post by timtonic
Ok thanks, do you think we need to know a lot about Obama and also about the impact of media and changes in black migration?
Reply 4
Appreciate it. Ill study that more then. No im doing Civil Rights and Race Relations as Unit 3 and Cold War on the 6th as unit 4. Already did paper 1 and 2 last year
Impact of media, not really, we haven't focused much on it with our teacher. The migration I would recommend as they may ask an essay question about it between 2 eras. With Obama, I think we have to as it may show up as a source question...the thing is, it already did show up, but it might be beneficial for the essay question. I say dont focus on media, but do focus on Obama and migration! Did you sit paper 1 today? Which topic did you sit and how was it?
Hey! how did you find the exam?
Appreciate it. Ill study that more then. No im doing Civil Rights and Race Relations as Unit 3 and Cold War on the 6th as unit 4. Already did paper 1 and 2 last year
Reply 6
Source Question really badly didnt mention single other alphahet agency besides CCC. And i talked about wrong march on washington
Hey! how did you find the exam?
omg ok, so I wasn't the only one who thought the sources were bad. I couldn't find much evidence to support my points in Source 1, ended making lots of figures up :/ Source 2 was better but I didn't have enough time to fully analyse it because I spent so long trying to find stuff to say about the first one. I've got a feeling that I didn't do very well on it. The essay's I thought were okay, I did the first one because I recently did a practice essay that was the exact same as the one in the exam. But yeah, all in all, I don't think it went too well and I definitely don't have my A grade
Source Question really badly didnt mention single other alphahet agency besides CCC. And i talked about wrong march on washington
The essay went well, I did the first one but I am worried about the sources..I thought it went fine but I dont know if I'm going to lose marks for not mentioning the March, I spoke about why it was going to happen and what impact it had but I didn't mention the name of the event, I'm worried they think I didn't acknowledge it. In the nature I talked about how Randolph is an important figure and he's encouraging African Americans but I didn't mention specifically the March on Washington....
Reply 9
I couldn't find many similarities between the two sources.
The 1st essay question was straight forward
Original post by jg12343

I said that the similarities are both acknowledge the racial discriminating attitudes, but the differences are source 1 attempts to justify it however source 2 condemns it
yeah, I basically said the same, I said they would be useful as they show two attitudes towards racial discrimination although they are very different attitudes, one almost positive outlook and the other a more condemning outlook.
I said that the similarities are both acknowledge the racial discriminating attitudes, but the differences are source 1 attempts to justify it however source 2 condemns it

I didn't mention the march at all, in fact, I think I completely disregarded that Washington March and mentioned how Randolph was the mastermind behind the 1963 Washington march :s-smilie: At least I didn't write a full-blown answer based on that, I just briefly mentioned.
The essay went well, I did the first one but I am worried about the sources..I thought it went fine but I dont know if I'm going to lose marks for not mentioning the March, I spoke about why it was going to happen and what impact it had but I didn't mention the name of the event, I'm worried they think I didn't acknowledge it. In the nature I talked about how Randolph is an important figure and he's encouraging African Americans but I didn't mention specifically the March on Washington....
I honestly think if a lot of people had similar answers then they might be more lenient, tbh its not like the March of Washington actually did happen in 1941 it was stopped before it even happened, for context I mentioned how there was a lack of African Americans in war related jobs specifically in NYC which caused resentment with Randolph/African Americans so he pushed for change until Roosevelt made the change, like i'm hoping thats good enough, so I think as long as you mentioned that Randolph wanted people to start making change etc then it should be fine! I need an A in history too and now i'm worried
I did the first essay too! what did you write about? In agreement with the question, I talked about the Military Reconstruction Act and how it increased black representation in the state and federal legislatures and the Reconstruction legislation such as 14th and 15th amendment and how it enfranchised them, etc. For against, I talked about how Southern whites dominated politics more so than blacks, the denial of voting through the Mississippi constitution and Louisiana grandfather clause and how slavery and inferiority were established through black codes and sharecropping. I feel like I didn't do too good though because I ran out of time before I could talk about the civil rights cases
Original post by jg12343
I did the first question also!! I talked about the Acts passed, the political representation of African Americans, and how the radical republicans protected them with the KKK act, for the Jim Crow Era I talked about the the poll tax, literacy qualifications, how they declared the Civil rights act unconstitutional and how the KKK remained despite attempts to stop them. I concluded overall that it was a short term change, as reconstruction ended and the jim crow laws reversed all the changes made
Original post by P_I_Z_Z_A
I did the first essay too! what did you write about? In agreement with the question, I talked about the Military Reconstruction Act and how it increased black representation in the state and federal legislatures and the Reconstruction legislation such as 14th and 15th amendment and how it enfranchised them, etc. For against, I talked about how Southern whites dominated politics more so than blacks, the denial of voting through the Mississippi constitution and Louisiana grandfather clause and how slavery and inferiority were established through black codes and sharecropping. I feel like I didn't do too good though because I ran out of time before I could talk about the civil rights cases
I honestly can't even remember what I wrote for the sources it was such a blur of panic :afraid: I think I dwelled more on the inequality of the two races and talked about poverty amongst black Americans etc in Source 2. Source 1 was a bunch of gibberish I think I said it showed white ignorance towards racial discrimination and how they thought they knew best and somehow I brought in social Darwinism ahaha, then I just said about the restriction in low skilled jobs. I couldn't for the life of me find anything
I honestly think if a lot of people had similar answers then they might be more lenient, tbh its not like the March of Washington actually did happen in 1941 it was stopped before it even happened, for context I mentioned how there was a lack of African Americans in war related jobs specifically in NYC which caused resentment with Randolph/African Americans so he pushed for change until Roosevelt made the change, like i'm hoping thats good enough, so I think as long as you mentioned that Randolph wanted people to start making change etc then it should be fine! I need an A in history too and now i'm worried
Reply 16
I basically split it up in social, political and economic.
And showed how they improved or not then weighted up whether or not they improved

that's actually rather clever, I regret not doing that now!
Original post by jg12343
I basically split it up in social, political and economic.
And showed how they improved or not then weighted up whether or not they improved
Ok so we basically wrote the same points :tongue: At least that's a positive thing! means we can't have done too shabby. My conclusion tho, damn, it was lackinnnnnngggg. Wrote it in the last 3 minutes and took me a minute in itself to write out the question. I think I said how although they made advancements through the reconstruction acts and representation in state and federal legislatures, they were quickly taken away from them leaving them disenfranchised once again and in an inferior position. Short and sweet lol
I did the first question also!! I talked about the Acts passed, the political representation of African Americans, and how the radical republicans protected them with the KKK act, for the Jim Crow Era I talked about the the poll tax, literacy qualifications, how they declared the Civil rights act unconstitutional and how the KKK remained despite attempts to stop them. I concluded overall that it was a short term change, as reconstruction ended and the jim crow laws reversed all the changes made
I think what we wrote was more than enough, because if you think about it there wasn't economic developments in both of the eras, so I genuinely think if you kept a strong argument throughout no matter what you talk about its more than enough!! Dont worry I'm sure we did well, because the whole point of the question was yeah the reconstruction era made things better BUT it was stopped by the jim crow laws! dont worry about it :smile:
Ok so we basically wrote the same points :tongue: At least that's a positive thing! means we can't have done too shabby. My conclusion tho, damn, it was lackinnnnnngggg. Wrote it in the last 3 minutes and took me a minute in itself to write out the question. I think I said how although they made advancements through the reconstruction acts and representation in state and federal legislatures, they were quickly taken away from them leaving them disenfranchised once again and in an inferior position. Short and sweet lol

Quick Reply

Latest