The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

What topics and practical came up?
Original post by No_Coke_Only_Ice
So that was pretty good right?
Reply 2
There was the one with Chloroplast DNA and Nuclear DNA. I put - Chloroplast DNA didn't have histones, it was circular and it is smaller than nuclear DNA
Oooh!.. This could be used as an indication for the A-Level paper 1... What things came up? :biggrin:
Reply 4
To be honest, if you're looking for an indication for this years paper 1 you'd be better placed looking at the June 2018 AS papers which are on the AQA website.

Original post by CopyThat
Oooh!.. This could be used as an indication for the A-Level paper 1... What things came up? :biggrin:
Reply 5
Stuff about dna, a case study on cancer cells, Chloroplast. biurets test. asked about how dipeptides are similar and different. some dumb question about amino acids and them separating on a strip. required practical on effect of hydrogen peroxide on potato tubes. some question on conditions of the solution for the centrifuge; e.g. cold, buffered and isotonic
Original post by CopyThat
Reply 6
No 6 marker

Original post by gcsestudent26
was there a 6 marker? if so what was it about?
Reply 7
What did people write about how the enzymes active site leads to a high rate of reaction?
Reply 8
Original post by TNOD333
What did people write about how the enzymes active site leads to a high rate of reaction?

Active site is a specific shape due to the enyzme being a protein with a specific 3D tertiary structure, meaning only a substrate with a similar shape will fit the active site and form enzyme-substrate complexes and therefore the enzyme ignore/not react with anything but the subrate and that increase the rate of reaction.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by Kallum17
Active site is a specific shape due to the enyzme being a protein with a specific 3D tertiary structure, meaning only a substrate with a similar shape will fit the active site and form enzyme-substrate complexes and therefore the enzyme ignore/react with anything but the subrate and that increase the rate of reaction.

Pretty much what I wrote too 👍
What did people get for the rate of reaction values in the table and how did their graph look like?
Original post by TNOD333
Pretty much what I wrote too 👍
What did people get for the rate of reaction values in the table and how did their graph look like?

I messed that up, didn't know what arbitrary units meant and didnt see the limit of 1 unit. I thought i could just do 10/time for each. Im gutted because ive lost marks due to dumb units.
Reply 11
I’m not sure whether I got it right or not, but I did hydrogen peroxide concentration divided by the 10cm3 of oxygen value and plotted hydrogen peroxide concentration on X axis and rate of reaction of the Y axis and the curve was basically a standard positive correlation curve where, as the hydrogen peroxide concentration increases the rate of reaction increases. I rushed the curve due to limited time so it looked a little crappy and wishy washy

I messed that up, didn't know what arbitrary units meant and didnt see the limit of 1 unit. I thought i could just do 10/time for each. Im gutted because ive lost marks due to dumb units.
Original post by TNOD333
I’m not sure whether I got it right or not, but I did hydrogen peroxide concentration divided by the 10cm3 of oxygen value and plotted hydrogen peroxide concentration on X axis and rate of reaction of the Y axis and the curve was basically a standard positive correlation curve where, as the hydrogen peroxide concentration increases the rate of reaction increases. I rushed the curve due to limited time so it looked a little crappy and wishy washy

I think thats wrong, rate is volume of oxygen/ time it took. So 10/time for everything. Then you had to convert everything to arbitrary units as the maxium units was 1 (i didnt do this).
Reply 13
Yeah I think your right, I left the graph till near the end so I kind of rushed it and didn’t spend enough time on it
What you get for percentage error and the volume question
I got 7.5% and 7455 or something like that
I think thats wrong, rate is volume of oxygen/ time it took. So 10/time for everything. Then you had to convert everything to arbitrary units as the maxium units was 1 (i didnt do this).
Original post by TNOD333
Yeah I think your right, I left the graph till near the end so I kind of rushed it and didn’t spend enough time on it
What you get for percentage error and the volume question
I got 7.5% and 7455 or something like that

1/15*100 + 0.5/5*100 = + or - 16.67 %
Yeah percentage uncertainty was 16.67% and the volume i got was 7455 or something
1/15*100 + 0.5/5*100 = + or - 16.67 %
Original post by Blizz Jr
Yeah percentage uncertainty was 16.67% and the volume i got was 7455 or something

I ****ed that up , i thought the chloroplast was 17500 and that the mitochondria was 200 something cm3 anf that the question wanted the volume of the original solution. I didn't have time to go back and check for mistakes. Im really gutted.
The actual way would be 17500 * 0.441 = 7717.5 - 200 = 7517.5 ( i dont remember the actual volume of mitochondria)
Reply 17
I ****ed that up , i thought the chloroplast was 17500 and that the mitochondria was 200 something cm3 anf that the question wanted the volume of the original solution. I didn't have time to go back and check for mistakes. Im really gutted.
The actual way would be 17500 * 0.441 = 7717.5 - 200 = 7517.5 ( i dont remember the actual volume of mitochondria)

17500/100*44.1 = 7717.5
7717.5 - 262.5 = 7455
Reply 18
Does anyone have any idea what was going on with that’s amino acid filter paper question??? Absolutely no idea what it relates to ??
Original post by epooper
Does anyone have any idea what was going on with that’s amino acid filter paper question??? Absolutely no idea what it relates to ??

I said 2 of the 3 amino acids are polar and two of them were attracted the negative electrode and that they are slightly positive and that of the two one is more polar.

Latest

Trending

Trending