The Student Room Group

Another maths question!

Please help with this:

find the coordinates of any stationary points on each curve. By evaluating d^2y/dx^2 ( d squared Y over DX squared ) at each stationary point, determine whether it is a minimum or maximum point.

A) y=x^4 - 8x^2 - 2

B) y= x- 6 ^ 1/2

Scroll to see replies

U work out the dy/dx of a point on each side and then work out whether it’s a u curve or n curve from that :smile:
To find the points in the first place do dy/dx of the curve = to 0 and then that’s ur x coords then plug that in to work out y
Reply 3
Thx i understand that but dont know how to do dy/dx for b?
Original post by Bobbyawsome
To find the points in the first place do dy/dx of the curve = to 0 and then that’s ur x coords then plug that in to work out y
Reply 4
Chain rule
Original post by Tigergirl

6^0.5 is just a number no x term the dy/dx should just be 1
Reply 6
chain rule i think if its supposed to be (x-6)^1/2
(edited 4 years ago)
Differentiate and set y' = 0 to get A: y' = 4x^3 - 16x = 4x(x+2)(x-2), giving x = 0, 2, -2
Differentiate again to find y''= 12x^2 - 16

x = 0 gives y'' = -16, < 0 so maximum
x = 2 gives y'' = 32, > 0 so minimum
x= -2 gives y'' = 32, > 0 so minimum

The curve is a w shape.
For the record, setting y'' = 0 gives the x-coordinates of the points of inflection.

As for B, . it's unclear whether you mean x - 6^0.5 or (x-6)^0.5

y = x - 6^0.5 is a straight line with y'=1, so no stationary points anyway
y = (x-6)^0.5 with y'= 0.5(x-6)^-0.5 which is always positive and never = 0, so it's is an increasing function (draw it on desmos), so also no stationary points.
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh i dead< what is a good palce for revision and understandable< i literally failed
U work out the dy/dx of a point on each side and then work out whether it’s a u curve or n curve from that :smile:

Not if the question specifically says use the second derivative. You'd get 0 marks if you did it your way I'm afraid.
Original post by dextrous63
Differentiate and set y' = 0 to get A: y' = 4x^3 - 16x = 4x(x+2)(x-2), giving x = 0, 2, -2

The curve is a w shape.
For the record, setting y'' = 0 gives the x-coordinates of the points of inflection.

y = (x-6)^0.5 with y'= 0.5(x-6)^-0.5 which is always positive and never = 0, so it's is an increasing function (draw it on desmos), so also no stationary points.

Oh lol forgot the brackets I was gunna say it didn’t make sense if the gradient was just 1 too easy 😂
Not if the question specifically says use the second derivative. You'd get 0 marks if you did it your way I'm afraid.

It doesn’t say use the 2nd derivative tho... or r u on about a specific Q from an exam?? If so u did a different one to me
It doesn’t say use the 2nd derivative tho... or r u on about a specific Q from an exam?? If so u did a different one to me

Er, "By evaluating d^2y/dx^2 ( d squared Y over DX squared ) at each stationary point, determine whether it is a minimum or maximum point."
Original post by Russellster
... what is a good palce for revision and understandable< i literally failed

Use examsolutions.net
Er, "By evaluating d^2y/dx^2 ( d squared Y over DX squared ) at each stationary point, determine whether it is a minimum or maximum point."

U can identify by taking the dy/dx of each side and if then by working with that u can tell whether the curve was shaped like an n or a u
U can identify by taking the dy/dx of each side and if then by working with that u can tell whether the curve was shaped like an n or a u

Indeed you can, and this is particularly useful to determine whether a function is increasing or decreasing around a point of inflection. It's also the only realistic way of doing it if differentiating y' would be somewhat onerous!!!

However, if an exam question told you specifically to use the 2nd derivative (as the questions in the op do), then you'd have to do so if you wanted any marks.

Don't shoot the messenger :smile:
(edited 4 years ago)
Indeed you can, and this is particularly useful to determine whether a function is increasing or decreasing around a point of inflection. It's also the only realistic way of doing it if differentiating y' would be somewhat onerous!!!

However, if an exam question told you specifically to use the 2nd derivative (as the questions in the op do), then you'd have to do so if you wanted any marks.

Don't shoot the messenger :smile:

Ok np I just do whatever I see in the question the easiest way possible lol maybe I didn’t quite understand it properly due to it being payed out on a screen style. :smile: and I’m only gcse so... I’d probably get away with it 😝
Reply 17
thanks

for b the question is y= x-6x^1/2 ( as in 6x with the half power 6x^1/2) I realised I have written it wrong in the original post

The curve is a w shape.

(edited 4 years ago)
Ok np I just do whatever I see in the question the easiest way possible lol maybe I didn’t quite understand it properly due to it being payed out on a screen style. :smile: and I’m only gcse so... I’d probably get away with it 😝

Fair enough. I'm a maths teacher so have a bit of an advantage :wink:
Fair enough. I'm a maths teacher so have a bit of an advantage :wink:

Hahah ok 👍 although as a math teacher you’ll be happy to know the gcse today was perfect 👌

Quick Reply

Latest