The Student Room Group

Going to GP for the first time about mental health

Hi,

So after suffering from bouts of depression/anxiety for a few years I have finally decided to talk to my GP. I’m very nervous and was wondering if anyone could give me some advice about the most important things to bring up/how to approach the conversation, especially if they have had the same experience. I have never said a word to anyone about anything mental-health related before so any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks :smile:
are you lonely OP
Reply 2
Why do u ask? :curious:
Original post by steamed-hams
are you lonely OP
This is very helpful: http://www.docready.org/#/home
:smile:
I found it easier to just describe symptoms (eg. nerves, panic attacks, uncontrollable crying, what triggers these things, etc) rather than say "I think I've anxiety/depression".
Original post by Anonymous
Hi,

So after suffering from bouts of depression/anxiety for a few years I have finally decided to talk to my GP. I’m very nervous and was wondering if anyone could give me some advice about the most important things to bring up/how to approach the conversation, especially if they have had the same experience. I have never said a word to anyone about anything mental-health related before so any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks :smile:

Heyy,

And that is normal for you to be nervous because you are opening up to someone you barely know but the GP is experienced for a reason and it's their job to ensure that you feel comfortable around them, the advice that I can give you is; think about the final outcome, positive thoughts, tell the GP what you want them to know (not everything) and trust me, slowly but surely you will feel okay in no time.
Original post by Anonymous
Why do u ask? :curious:

we aren't much different from our tribal ancestors. if they were kicked out a tribe and forced to defend themselves no chit are they gonna feel anxious and depressed everything around them could kill them. we still have those tribal instincts and if we aren't part of a group of friends or a 'tribe' the instincts ie. the depression and anxiety kicks in. no wonder why everyone is so sad and anxious we are the the most lonely generation. i suggest you read the book lost connections or listen to a podcast or yt video with Johann Hari. hes a smart man and looks at depression and anx from a completely new level.
(edited 4 years ago)
If you are nervous perhaps write down some bullet points of what you want to say and hand it to the doctor :hugs: remember that if this doctor doesnt take you as seriously as they should, ask to see another.
Well done for taking the step to ask for help :hugs:
Reply 8
Thank u so much, my main worry is not being taken seriously so thanks for your advice. :hugs:

Original post by CoolCavy
If you are nervous perhaps write down some bullet points of what you want to say and hand it to the doctor :hugs: remember that if this doctor doesnt take you as seriously as they should, ask to see another.
Well done for taking the step to ask for help :hugs:
Reply 9
Thanks for your advice, I do have a few close friends but generally feel like an outsider a lot of the time. I’ll check this guy out x
Original post by steamed-hams
i suggest you read the book lost connections or listen to a podcast or yt video with Johann Hari. hes a smart man and looks at depression and anx from a completely new level.

Quick Reply

Latest