The Student Room Group

What's the best Jane Austen book to start with?

Jane Austen seems pretty cool and I wanna give her a shot but don't know enough about her to really make a choice. Opinions?:confused:

Scroll to see replies

Pride and prejudice is quite good and has lots of film/TV/YouTube adaptations you can look at after you finish reading. It is quite long though...
Original post by iontstressenough
Jane Austen seems pretty cool and I wanna give her a shot but don't know enough about her to really make a choice. Opinions?:confused:

if you don't mind me asking, where did the Jane Austen interest come from?
To be honest, I was watching clueless and apparently it's based on Emma by Jane Austen and i wanted to give it a shot
Original post by ayyyy.x
if you don't mind me asking, where did the Jane Austen interest come from?
Huh. i'll have to check it out. thanks!
Original post by marshmallowy
Pride and prejudice is quite good and has lots of film/TV/YouTube adaptations you can look at after you finish reading. It is quite long though...
I agree - P&P is a good place to start as it's been adapted so many times. Emma is great but it took me a little while to warm up to. Well worth it!
Agree with Pride and Prejudice. If you watch a movie/TV adaptation and then read the book it may help you get to grips with the language a bit more.
Any other book you would recommend as a warm up?
Original post by edtcornforth
I agree - P&P is a good place to start as it's been adapted so many times. Emma is great but it took me a little while to warm up to. Well worth it!
I’ve only read 2 so far but I went P&P and then Persuasion. Persuasion is much shorter and I really enjoyed that too.

I also waited until I had finished P&P before I watched the films and series- they were my reward! I’m hoping to read another this summer :h:
ooh, I might check out persuasion too then. Thanks!
Original post by scorpionfish17
I’ve only read 2 so far but I went P&P and then Persuasion. Persuasion is much shorter and I really enjoyed that too.

I also waited until I had finished P&P before I watched the films and series- they were my reward! I’m hoping to read another this summer :h:
I love Emma and Pride and Prejudice :smile: I would say that Pride and Prejudice is more tense and exciting, and possibly a better one to start with (my favourite, definitely not biased) whilst Emma is more based on social norms (which, of course, is a theme in all of them - I haven't read this one in a while so I'd recommend checking them out yourself), they are both quite similar though so either would be good :smile: it really depends on what sort of thing you're into. I also tried Mansfield Park, but I would definitely say Pride and Prejudice and Emma are the best! Haha apologies for a rant, you got me onto one of my things...
(edited 4 years ago)
Haha that's alright! I'll definitely have to check out P&P and I might also go for persuasion and Emma. Thanks for the rant!
Original post by Õpilane
I love Emma and Pride and Prejudice :smile: I would say that Pride and Prejudice is more tense and exciting, and possibly a better one to start with (my favourite, definitely not biased) whilst Emma is more based on social norms (which, of course, is a theme in all of them - I haven't read this one in a while so I'd recommend checking them out yourself), they are both quite similar though so either would be good :smile: it really depends on what sort of thing you're into. I also tried Mansfield Park, but I would definitely say Pride and Prejudice and Emma are the best! Haha apologirs for a rant, you got me onto one of my things...
I've read them all maintenant and I like Sense and sensibility best. If you've read PandP by now then hopefully you understand Austen humour, so I'd really recommend S and S!
I'd say Pride and Prejudice for starters. It's very funny and enjoyable and a great read.

Sense and Sensibility is my fave, it's really engrossing. :love:
Jane Austen's Teenage Diary... recently discovered in the archives of Winchester Cathedral.

Spoiler

Original post by the bear
Jane Austen's Teenage Diary... recently discovered in the archives of Winchester Cathedral.

Spoiler

"is well connected in the county"

Is that the County of W.................?
I really like Sense and Sensibility, but you have to bear with the complicated family history in the first chapter - the rest of the novel is much easier to follow and is very good
*several pages of the diary are missing.....* the diary continues in a shaky hand with what look like tearstains on the ink:

Spoiler

Original post by the bear
*several pages of the diary are missing.....* the diary continues in a shaky hand with what look like tearstains on the ink:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Original post by batter mix

Spoiler

Bear is speaking Austen.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending