Benefits of running?? Watch

Sian.M.A
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
I'm starting running everyday/every other day as well as daily gym sessions. What will the running do to my body?? Will it slim down my legs?? How do I build up running endurnacce so that I can run for longer?? All tips tricks and facts will help.. Thanks
NobleWizard
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
The main change running will do is strengthen your cardiovascular system which is your heart, lungs and diaphram. This will allow you to do more activites during the day before you get out of breath.

Depending on how your legs are at the moment, it may slim them down or due to the increase of muscle make them a bit bigger. Generally, running will slim down your legs while also making the musles more defined.

If you're new to running then to increase endurance is simple, just go out on longer runs. However, you need to be running consistanly and not stopping and starting every minute. So to start of try running for 20 minutes straight if you can't do that try 10 or 15. If you are still struggling then you should try what's called interval training. Since it's endurance you want at he beginning try 3 minutess running (at normal pace) and 1 minute walking for 15 to 20 minutes. Once you have done 20 minutes increase it my 5 minutes each week. If you are struggling, repeat that week till you can do it comfortably. These runs should be ran at about low to medium intensity.
If you then want to train for speed, do interval training. This time however, it will be 1 minute sprint and a 1 minute gentle jog.

You will also need to research running form. Heel toe running will give you injuries. So as I don't want to make this any longer than it is, try jumping up and down on the spot with your shoes off. You will notice that you land on the balls of you foot (fore-foot) and then maybe roll back on to the heel. If you jump off any thing you will do something very similar but a lot quicker, fore-foot then onto the heel. Now try landing on your heel. If you can do this (it's not normal) you will feel a sharp pain going up from your heel to your knees, hips, spine and then maybe the top of your spine as well. This doesn't mean you should go out and buy new shoes (most have a high heel, encouraging heel toe landing), just run with the correct form and then if you want look at getting some new shoes.

One final thing, replace a day or two with a low impact cardio sport like swimming or cycling.

I hope that helps and that you have pain free running. If you have any more questions I'm happy to answer them.
TheProctor
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Running is an excellent way to increase levels of brain-derived neurotropic factor (BDNF) in the brain which allows for accelerated learning, improved memory formation and overall enhanced cognition. BDNF is the thing that stimulates neuron growth in the brain (which is what happens when you learn stuff). If you sprinkle BDNF into a petri dish full of neuron cells, the cells will sprout new branches.

Check this out: https://youtu.be/DsVzKCk066g

This is just one of the myriad benefits of exercise (running in particular). Keep running
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
jackharrywa
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Sian.M.A)
I'm starting running everyday/every other day as well as daily gym sessions. What will the running do to my body?? Will it slim down my legs?? How do I build up running endurnacce so that I can run for longer?? All tips tricks and facts will help.. Thanks
Running is the best factor of Exercise for maintaining fit and slim for men & women. We get freshness and activeness throughout the day, If we start our day with jogging or Running. People who do exercise and running daily, keep more fresh and active as compared to others.
ChickenMadness
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Main benefit is it destroys your knee joints.
funk controller
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by ChickenMadness)
This is some pretty stupid ****. Unfortunately, from some other posts of yours Im not surprised.

(Original post by NobleWizard)
If you're new to running then to increase endurance is simple, just go out on longer runs. However, you need to be running consistanly and not stopping and starting every minute. So to start of try running for 20 minutes straight if you can't do that try 10 or 15. If you are still struggling then you should try what's called interval training. Since it's endurance you want at he beginning try 3 minutess running (at normal pace) and 1 minute walking for 15 to 20 minutes. Once you have done 20 minutes increase it my 5 minutes each week. If you are struggling, repeat that week till you can do it comfortably. These runs should be ran at about low to medium intensity.
If you then want to train for speed, do interval training. This time however, it will be 1 minute sprint and a 1 minute gentle jog.
You dont have to run without interruption to get better at running.

OP look into the C25K running programme. It gets you from sedentary to able to run a 5K in 8 weeks without destroyed joints, pulled muscles, etc.
jackharrywa
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by ChickenMadness)
Brother!
Where from you hear, "Running destroys your Knee Joints".
I think you have much miss understanding. Please keep update about your health.
ChickenMadness
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by jackharrywa)
Brother!
Where from you hear, "Running destroys your Knee Joints".
I think you have much miss understanding. Please keep update about your health.
Personal experience, family members who have had severe medical issues caused by running, and the internet :lol:
jackharrywa
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
running is not important i think walking or little bit of exercise is enough
Vinny C
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Huge... but hurts like hell. If your heart is good then run until you drop,
Vinny C
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
running is not important i think walking or little bit of exercise is enough
Total *******s... run until you fall in a twitching heap. Hurts like hell for 20 mins but hey... my legs work again!
jackharrywa
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Vinny C)
Total *******s... run until you fall in a twitching heap. Hurts like hell for 20 mins but hey... my legs work again!
You are saying right,
gjd800
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
They won't catch you.
Unexpectedly
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Main benefit for me was the shape of my lower leg muscles.
Vinny C
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You are saying right,
I am saying it has changed my life. I can walk upstairs without feeling like an elephant. Price was 20 mins discomfort twice a week.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are your favourite crisps?

Kettle Chips (7)
12.96%
McCoys Salt and Vinegar (4)
7.41%
McCoys Flame Grilled Steak (2)
3.7%
Walkers Prawn Cockail (9)
16.67%
Monster Munch (6)
11.11%