Biochemistry question from example paper Watch

naominaom1
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Describe the properties of hydrophilic amino acids that make it more likely to be found on the outside of a globular protein?

4 marks
this question was on a example paper and i have no clue how to answer it :/
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by naominaom1)
Describe the properties of hydrophilic amino acids that make it more likely to be found on the outside of a globular protein?

4 marks
this question was on a example paper and i have no clue how to answer it :/
Well, think about the environment that this globular protein is likely to be found in. Globular = enzyme = cellular = AQUEOUS

So, from then, think about what sort of bonds and interaction these aa could make. H bonds, polar interactions.... You get the idea.

Have a look at the structure of serine compared with alanine, or threonine compared to valine. What do you notice about the structure of the R group, in particular the functional group(s) and how does that make serine and threonine more suited to interact with the aqueous environment?
naominaom1
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by Reality Check)
Well, think about the environment that this globular protein is likely to be found in. Globular = enzyme = cellular = AQUEOUS

So, from then, think about what sort of bonds and interaction these aa could make. H bonds, polar interactions.... You get the idea.

Have a look at the structure of serine compared with alanine, or threonine compared to valine. What do you notice about the structure of the R group, in particular the functional group(s) and how does that make serine and threonine more suited to interact with the aqueous environment?
thanks
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by naominaom1)
thanks
No problem. The corollary of this, obviously, is that hydrophobic aa's are to be found in the interior of the protein, shielded from the aqueous environment.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (155)
17.61%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (76)
8.64%
No I am happy with my course choice (522)
59.32%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (127)
14.43%

Watched Threads