The Student Room Group

what is equivalent to GCSEs in USA?

I really want to know what is the equivalent to GCSEs in the USA and what they are based on like I've heard that they get scored on participation is class and that..

also why do everyone say americas are dumb?
when i hear alot of americans speak, they articulate themselves very well and sound quiet smart but for them us brits are the smart ones haha..
ahh so mainly i want to know their school system so if anyone can compare it to ours... that would be cool.. thanks in advance
Sat?
yh so i've heard about the SATs but what really is the system?.. they get scores overall i believe and we get grades for each subject..
Original post by CuriosityYay
Sat?
Original post by anon123a
I really want to know what is the equivalent to GCSEs in the USA and what they are based on like I've heard that they get scored on participation is class and that..

also why do everyone say americas are dumb?

There isn't an externally moderated equivalent. You pick your subjects for each of the four years of High School, so can choose to take, say, Chemistry for two years (e.g. to AP level in the second year), followed by two years of Biology. In the UK, these would be done in parallel for four years. You can also graduate without having taken any externally moderated subject tests - just school class grades. AP grades give credit for US university classes.
(edited 4 years ago)
making their system much easier?
Original post by RogerOxon
There isn't an externally moderated equivalent. You pick your subjects for each of the four years of High School, so can choose to take, say, Chemistry for two years (e.g. to AP level in the second year), followed by two years of Biology. In the UK, these would be done in parallel. You can also graduate without having taken any externally moderated subject tests - just school class grades. AP grades give credit for US university classes.

Different. You have to take English and History (which get bent into Economics and Civics at the end) every of the four years of High School, so they go more for breadth. Degrees are similar, and longer.
(edited 4 years ago)
but you know how we get GCSE results day and its a big thing, do they have such thing?.. like people make yt video regarding their gcse but people in the US don't .. why is that.. is it not that big of a deal there, not as necessary...
[/QUOTE
Different. You have to take English and History (which get bent into Economics and Civics at the end) every of the four years of High School, so they go more for breadth. Degrees are similar, and longer.

but you know how we get GCSE results day and its a big thing, do they have such thing?.. like people make yt video regarding their gcse but people in the US don't .. why is that.. is it not that big of a deal there, not as necessary...

No. There is a results day for APs, which could be taken every of the four years (typically three or fewer).

The university application process is also different - they don't do conditional offers.
oh alright thank you! :smile:
No. There is a results day for APs, which could be taken every of the four years (typically three or fewer).

The university application process is also different - they don't do conditional offers.
yh so i've heard about the SATs but what really is the system?.. they get scores overall i believe and we get grades for each subject..

It helps people from mostly overseas to get accepted into universities more easily..or even get a scholarship if your marks are really high
Reply 12
Original post by Goofballx69
It helps people from mostly overseas to get accepted into universities more easily..or even get a scholarship if your marks are really high

That is so wrong on so many levels.
SAT is a standardized aptitude test that's supposed to measure your academic potential. It's made for American students, because high schools (levels and subjects) can be so different across the country. Non-americans have to take it as well for most schools, and very very few colleges give merit scholarships based on SATs (and never on those alone, it also depends on your school grades).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending