The Student Room Group

Options for Computer science degree are they good enough?

Hello again! I was just wondering for clarification my options for university to get into a computer science department would be:frown:A-level btw)
-Maths
-Computer science
-biology
-chemistry
Are there options adequate?
Thanks in advance!
Reply 1
Yes. Although Further Maths would be useful if you want to go Oxbridge or Imperial.
Original post by A Table
Hello again! I was just wondering for clarification my options for university to get into a computer science department would be:frown:A-level btw)
-Maths
-Computer science
-biology
-chemistry
Are there options adequate?
Thanks in advance!

What universities are you considering applying to?

Maths, Further Maths and Comp Sci might be good. That said, if you're not a huge fan of Maths and if you're not aiming to go to universities like Imperial or Cambridge etc, Maths + 2 other subjects of your choice would be more than enough! :smile:

Universities care about 2 specific things:

1) do you have the required subjects that they ask for?
2) your grades

It really doesn't matter what subjects you do as long as you meet the two above requirements. Do subjects that you like and those that will get you the best grades. Don't worry whether or not universities will prefer Physics more than Bio for a Comp Sci degree. They honestly couldn't care less.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Quick-use
What universities are you considering applying to?

Maths, Further Maths and Comp Sci might be good. That said, if you're not a huge fan of Maths and if you're not aiming to go to universities like Imperial or Cambridge etc, Maths + 2 other subjects of your choice would be more than enough! :smile:

Universities care about 2 specific things:

1) do you have the required subjects that they ask for?
2) your grades

It really doesn't matter what subjects you do as long as you meet the two above requirements. Do subjects that you like and those that will get you the best grades. Don't worry whether or not universities will prefer Physics more than Bio for a Comp Sci degree. They honestly couldn't care less.

THANK YOU so much I feel like you have just taken a load off of my chest lmao.
Although is it impossible to not get into a top university without further maths?
Original post by A Table
THANK YOU so much I feel like you have just taken a load off of my chest lmao.
Although is it impossible to not get into a top university without further maths?

Honestly, don't worry at all about your subjects. Universities genuinely don't care what a 'strong' or 'facilitating' subject is.

Check the universities that you'd want to consider and see whether or not they require Further Maths. I doubt most will. As an aside, you don't even have to take Comp Sci as an A level if you want to do it at university. No university requires it.

What subjects do you like and which would you want to do for A level?
Reply 5
Check the specific University entry requirements.
Took me 10 seconds to find this for Imperial.

STANDARD UK QUALIFICATIONS

A-levels
Our typical A-level offer is A*AA - A*AAA with an A* in Maths. Typical offers also require STEP I/II.

For further recommendations on A-levels, see the tab on Qualification Advice for Computing. We strongly encourage applicants to take Further Maths at A2 level.
Original post by A Table
Reply 6
Honestly, don't worry at all about your subjects. Universities genuinely don't care what a 'strong' or 'facilitating' subject is.

Check the universities that you'd want to consider and see whether or not they require Further Maths. I doubt most will. As an aside, you don't even have to take Comp Sci as an A level if you want to do it at university. No university requires it.

What subjects do you like and which would you want to do for A level?

Alright right now I’m in year 10 about to take a statistics gcse.
Subjects I enjoy:
-maths
-computer science
-chemistry
-biology

Subjects I wouldn’t mind doing if needed:
-physics

For the future after my degree I was looking to go into robotics (software aspect) or into software engineering or biomedical engineering.
Original post by A Table
Subjects I enjoy:
-maths
-computer science
-chemistry
-biology

-physics

For the future after my degree I was looking to go into robotics (software aspect) or into software engineering or biomedical engineering.

Those sound like excellent subjects. Don't worry about doing Physics - it's not necessary and not a single university will ask for it.

How do you feel about doing Further Maths? Many universities including the university I went to (Edinburgh) don't require FM, but Oxford/Cambridge/Imperial etc do require it I think. Look into the universities that you might want to go to.

Your safest option might be to take Maths, FM + Bio/Chem/Comp Sci to not disadvantage you from any university that you may potentially want to go to. However, if you're not keen on doing FM and you're not bothered about the top 5 universities, then you're free to take Maths + 2 other subjects that you enjoy. :smile:
Reply 8
Those sound like excellent subjects. Don't worry about doing Physics - it's not necessary and not a single university will ask for it.

How do you feel about doing Further Maths? Many universities including the university I went to (Edinburgh) don't require FM, but Oxford/Cambridge/Imperial etc may. Look into the universities that you might want to go to.

Your safest option might be to take Maths, FM + Bio/Chem/Comp Sci to not disadvantage you from any university that you may potentially want to go to. However, if you're not keen on doing FM and you're not bothered about the top 5 universities, then you're free to take Maths + 2 other subjects that you enjoy. :smile:

There’s no problems with me taking further maths.
Do you know any ways I can start practicing it now so when the time comes it is just a matter of practice?
Original post by A Table
Do you know any ways I can start practicing it now so when the time comes it is just a matter of practice?

I wish I could help you on that, but I'm actually a linguist who studied French, Spanish and Japanese at uni. :lol:
Reply 10
I wish I could help you on that, but I'm actually a linguist who studied French, Spanish and Japanese at uni. :lol:

😂😂😂 Anyways thanks for your help!
Original post by A Table
Subjects I enjoy:
-maths
-computer science
-chemistry
-biology

-physics

If you want to go into software engineering the top unis may not be ideal for you. Oxford and Cambridge degrees are theoretical based and don’t involve much programming. Take a look at the Warwick, Southampton and Bristol course.
Original post by A Table

You can use the further maths support program, I do maths and further maths now. However, I’ve found the workload totally fine and they really aren’t content heavy like chemistry. I suggest when you start year 12 to do loads of past paper questions using physics and maths tutor. Past paper questions helps you to do well at maths and further maths imo.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by STEM.lover
You can use the further maths support program, I do maths and further maths now. However, I’ve found the workload totally fine and they really aren’t content heavy like chemistry. I suggest when you start year 12 to do loads of past paper questions using physics and maths tutor. Past paper questions helps you so well at maths and further maths.

Alright I’ll look into that once I’ve finished statistics thanks so much!
really depends where you want to go, but hell, you can do computer science at some places without ever having touched it in your life. maths is the one youll more likely need. further maths probably isnt necessary unless youre looking at the very very top.
many people take certain sets of subjects with computer science. usually its compsci/maths/physics or fmaths (or both), or they take a more vocational route and do something like games dev, IT, business etc. some do graphics if they like front end stuff.

personally i do psych/sociology/compsci, lmao. got offers for psych at bristol, sussex, loughborough & royal holloway.

subject choice doesnt matter too much unless youre aiming for the very top. they just want good grades in relevant subjects. you'll be fine
A level subjects i'm considering taking for computer science or economics degree
Maths
Econs
chemistry
History/Eng lit

maybe Further maths till as level

but is chemistry okay? do i need physics for comp science?

Original post by Molseh
Yes. Although Further Maths would be useful if you want to go Oxbridge or Imperial.
Original post by moumisayed
A level subjects i'm considering taking for computer science or economics degree
Maths
Econs
chemistry
History/Eng lit

maybe Further maths till as level

but is chemistry okay? do i need physics for comp science?

generally no, you dont.

if you have your eyes set on a specific uni, you can check their entry reqs.
but most universities (if not all) will not require physics. there is not much overlap at a level between the two.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending