The Student Room Group

National 5 Computing Science 2018-19

Scroll to see replies

Here we go, last exam. Good luck if you're sitting it as well 👍.
My exam went okay I think, how did everyone else get on?
How did you guys find it?

I thought it was pretty easy, I left out the design question about the fairground one; nothing what I was expecting maybe because I was under pressure or something but I just couldn't get my head around how to code it. Other than that it was fine.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by The_RobDob
My exam went okay I think, how did everyone else get on?

Original post by Strelzo

I thought it was pretty easy, I left out the design question about the fairground one; nothing what I was expecting maybe because I was under pressure or something but I just couldn't get my head around how to code it. Other than that it was fine.

Glad it went well for you both :smile:
Original post by Strelzo

For the current meter reading question what did you put for line 18 in the code?
Hello, I’m after the exams, and I have to agree - exam was quite easy. However since my teachers was not teaching then I was stuck with end-user and functional requirements and I am dissapointed
For the current meter reading question what did you put for line 18 in the code?

WHILE currentReading < previousReading

currentReading = InputBox("Error, enter a value what is not less than the previous reading.")

END WHILE
Original post by Strelzo
WHILE currentReading < previousReading

currentReading = InputBox("Error, enter a value what is not less than the previous reading.")

END WHILE

Wasn't that what was already there?

I put down
UNTIL currentMeter > previousMeter as it said that the current meter needs to be higher

No idea, I'm just pissed at how badly worded some of the questions were. I'm probably wrong but oh well.
Reply 50
Original post by Strelzo
No idea, I'm just pissed at how badly worded some of the questions were. I'm probably wrong but oh well.

Agreed that’s what I hate about computing - the vague wordings. Overall the paper was fair.
Original post by Nrevi
Agreed that’s what I hate about computing - the vague wordings. Overall the paper was fair.

Yeah, don't get me wrong it was a very fair paper, just don't see why they purposely write some questions out to try and catch you out.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Strelzo

I strongly agree on this one, I was confused on this one cause it was a conditional loop and then showing the output maybe?. Idk.
Sorry for double post but, what did everybody get for design technique for fairground game thing?. I wrote out steps 1 and 2 then done 3 and 4 using structure diagram
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Kubsyy
Sorry for double post but, what did everybody get for design technique for fairground game thing?. I wrote out steps 1 and 2 then done 3 and 4 using structure diagram

Was that the one with the board and the scores?
Original post by Kubsyy
I strongly agree on this one, I was confused on this one cause it was a conditional loop and then showing the output maybe?. Idk.

It's like I know how to structure very high quality code, just stupid way of putting it. I hate the SQA with a passion.
Original post by Consequence_CC
Was that the one with the board and the scores?

Yes
Reply 57
we finished learning about the course around February and my teacher kept ranting on about us learning our standard algorithms and that if we did anything over the April holiday, it was to learn the standard algorithms, my only question is how important are standard algorithms at higher? Also that nat 5 computing exam was not hard apart from that design technique question at the end of the paper. only economics left and my exams are done.
Original post by Kubsyy
Yes

I used python and I basically copied steps 1 and 2 that were shown above the answer box and added an if loop within the conditional loop to end game if score >= 50 and added another if loop out of conditional loop to display prize message if score was == 50.
Original post by Consequence_CC
I used python and I basically copied steps 1 and 2 that were shown above the answer box and added an if loop within the conditional loop to end game if score >= 50 and added another if loop out of conditional loop to display prize message if score was == 50.

Oh that’s nice, I was learning Python too for computing however in my school we had to visual basic, therefore I was quite stuck but nice :smile:.

Original post by ads203
we finished learning about the course around February and my teacher kept ranting on about us learning our standard algorithms and that if we did anything over the April holiday, it was to learn the standard algorithms, my only question is how important are standard algorithms at higher? Also that nat 5 computing exam was not hard apart from that design technique question at the end of the paper. only economics left and my exams are done.

Oh wow that’s quite bad - I had a teacher who wasn’t teaching. I don’t know how it will be in higher but on BBC bitesize standard algorithms for higher are: find min, max (self-explanatory), linear search (Idk what is that), count occurences (Also idk what is that) and input validation.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending