gozen match
rivalry of the warlords
quintet magician
battle fader (or swift scarecrow)
called by the grave

EDIT - currently Im devising how I could encorporate endymion into the deck
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by quasa
you have adding, subtracting, multiplication, division. Add to that the fact you have to use your brain to quickly develop strategies and counter strategies based on what you draw, and what your opponent / teammates do and you end up developing good thinking skills :lol:

Personally I find it more intellectually stimulating than chess

fair enough
Original post by Playmaker786
pretty much yeah. Why don't they make the game and anime have the same effects or just retcon / release updated versions afterwards :|. I agree with quasa about shooting quasar dragon's effect being inferior irl compared to the anime but would say the same thing about the god cards, lifestream dragon and the timelords. If the timelords had their anime effects, then they would completely dominate all other anti-meta decks.

The egyptian god cards, yeah, I remember the effects of Obelisk the tormentor in particular: It is right that Obelisk is able to defeat all the opponent monsters on the battlefield when two monsters of your own are sacrificed, but it is NOT possible to attack in the same round! as far as I understand the effect of this god card, the player has to wait a round.

The cherry on the cake is Kuriboh in combination with multiply! According to the description of the card multiply, a certain Kuriboh-Type can just be summoned and multiply, but not a mere Kuriboh as in the anime? that is so irritating.

And to answer your question: I am into the original series, but only this one!
well, chaos impact seems to have a new reason to use tachyon dragon + it seems that all the new cards will have riddiculous attack power (firewall darkfluid @13000atk points :|). Even the new synchro seems interesting.

Whilst on the topic of firewall

Spoiler

(edited 4 years ago)
loved yugioh when I was a kid. The original serries was just coming out when I was about 10 years old. Went crazy for it.

That being said, the actual card game always felt disapointing to me, compared to how it was portrayed on the TV shows. I bought a load of cards and I used to play it every sunday with my cousin, but it just didn't have the same feel, compared to the TV show.

These days it looks far to complicated, and it seems like the makers/writers have given into constantly intorducing new gimmicks/features as a way of keeping people interested, but which actually just make potential new players hesitant about entering something so complicated.

I watched the abridged serries a year or so ago on youtube - great way of getting a nostalgia kick, without actually having to give the time to the full episodes.
Original post by fallen_acorns
loved yugioh when I was a kid. The original serries was just coming out when I was about 10 years old. Went crazy for it.

That being said, the actual card game always felt disapointing to me, compared to how it was portrayed on the TV shows. I bought a load of cards and I used to play it every sunday with my cousin, but it just didn't have the same feel, compared to the TV show.

These days it looks far to complicated, and it seems like the makers/writers have given into constantly intorducing new gimmicks/features as a way of keeping people interested, but which actually just make potential new players hesitant about entering something so complicated.

I watched the abridged serries a year or so ago on youtube - great way of getting a nostalgia kick, without actually having to give the time to the full episodes.

Im guessing we're the similar age. The card game tbh was rubbish till synchros were introduced and strategy became more prevalent. I personally cant be asked collecting the cards as its too expensive (and I dont like people finding out I collect them whenever they come round my house) so just play online for free. I feel conversely however newer players tend to be interested because of the new gimmicks, based on whatever anime they are showing on tv.
Original post by quasa
Im guessing we're the similar age. The card game tbh was rubbish till synchros were introduced and strategy became more prevalent. I personally cant be asked collecting the cards as its too expensive (and I dont like people finding out I collect them whenever they come round my house) so just play online for free. I feel conversely however newer players tend to be interested because of the new gimmicks, based on whatever anime they are showing on tv.

your probably right about new players - especially young ones, I doubt I would have been put off by more content when I was a kid, as I am now.. I would have just dived in and loved all of it.

+ yes, card games can be way to expensive. It got to the point when I was a teenager, that me and my cousin used to just print out pictures of the expensive/rare cards and use them in the game (stuck on the front of normal cards, so you couldn't tell from upside down) because we were running out of money buying packs and cards to try and get what we wanted.
Original post by fallen_acorns

Only play online myself but one problem with the state of the game is that some higher end decks can just outright win at the start unless you open broken side cards. This is an example field I made with an old deck I had after a months break so I'm a bit rusty but pretty much I have up to 6 negations and a card that stops you searching cards whilst removing a card from their hand before they even started their turn. wtf.png
Original post by quasa
well, chaos impact seems to have a new reason to use tachyon dragon + it seems that all the new cards will have riddiculous attack power (firewall darkfluid @13000atk points :|). Even the new synchro seems interesting.

Whilst on the topic of firewall

Spoiler

What is your opinion on this card:

CHIM-JP014 Kikouryuu Seyfert (Starliege Dragon Seyfert)
Level 4 LIGHT Dragon Effect Monster
ATK 1800
DEF 0
You can only use this card name’s (1) and (2) effects once per turn each.
(1) You can send any number of Dragon monsters from your hand or face-up field to the GY; add from your Deck to your hand, 1 Dragon monster whose Level equals the total original Levels of the sent monster(s).
(2) You can banish this card from your GY, then target 1 Level 8 LIGHT or DARK Dragon monster in your GY; add it to your hand.
Original post by Vikingninja
What is your opinion on this card:

CHIM-JP014 Kikouryuu Seyfert (Starliege Dragon Seyfert)
Level 4 LIGHT Dragon Effect Monster
ATK 1800
DEF 0
You can only use this card name’s (1) and (2) effects once per turn each.
(1) You can send any number of Dragon monsters from your hand or face-up field to the GY; add from your Deck to your hand, 1 Dragon monster whose Level equals the total original Levels of the sent monster(s).
(2) You can banish this card from your GY, then target 1 Level 8 LIGHT or DARK Dragon monster in your GY; add it to your hand.

definite tachyon / blue/galaxy eyes support (the new galaxy eyes link monster has tachyon dragon written all over it). the level 8 synchro seems cool. the new firewall definitely reminds me of converging (clustering) wishes + stardust dragon.

Regarding Vrains

Spoiler

EDIT- did I just spot your username on nexus?!
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by quasa
definite tachyon / blue/galaxy eyes support (the new galaxy eyes link monster has tachyon dragon written all over it). the level 8 synchro seems cool. the new firewall definitely reminds me of converging (clustering) wishes + stardust dragon.

Regarding Vrains

Spoiler

EDIT- did I just spot your username on nexus?!

Have we played before?
Have we played before?

not as far as I am aware, but the uploaded pic did show a username with an ainsley harriot picture (which I presume is you)
Would like to post this soundtrack here for a while

[video="youtube;lIV4vDmdQx4"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIV4vDmdQx4&list=PL7oGGg7qjS8G_csfyr4ar0qYvX i7gpLCu&index=49[/video]

A proper OST for the final battle: it is thrilling, as if always matters and depends in one duel between good and bad. Nice! :yes:
Who's ready to not have fun? @quasa @Kallisto

Who's ready to not have fun? @quasa @Kallisto

niburu seems interesting if you can summon using your opponents monsters. the spell and trap are ok but wouldnt add them on any on my online decks tbh.

the exodia deck on the otherhand looks like otk material, particularly with my cyberse decks
(edited 4 years ago)
Never played the anime much, but I played the competitively for years.

I used to be quite good. I technically hold the first recorded regionals top by someone <13, but the emphasis there is on recorded.

Been getting back into it again recently, really enjoying Nekroz as a rogue pick.
Original post by quasa
Im guessing we're the similar age. The card game tbh was rubbish till synchros were introduced and strategy became more prevalent.

This statement is 100% positively false. See: goat format
Original post by TheUKAmerican
This statement is 100% positively false. See: goat format

ah yes, old school nostalgia rules. not really a fan tbh as strategy doesnt play as much emphasis as it did after synchros were introduced.

Everytime I play someone online who uses historical decks, they lose quite easily (unless theyre playing with unbanned cards then I have to wait a long time till they use exodia).
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by quasa
ah yes, old school nostalgia rules. not really a fan tbh as strategy doesnt play as much emphasis as it did after synchros were introduced.

Everytime I play someone online who uses historical decks, they lose quite easily (unless theyre playing with unbanned cards then I have to wait a long time till they use exodia).

There’s a lot to unpack here. I’m going to preface this by assuming you don’t play competitively, as if you did you wouldn’t be making that statement.

Firstly, power creep. If I took a perfect circle deck from 2007 and tried to use it 2019, I would be trounced. This does not mean that competitive Yugioh circa 2007 had no strategy. It simply means the game has sped up since then. The amount of strategy in the game is not inversely proportional to the speed of the game. Some formats are quite skill based and quite fast (Nekroz format comes to mind, as well as Zoo mirrors.) Some formats are very slow and skill based. (Goat Control). Others are very fast with little skill involved (dice roll formats like most of 2018 or spyral format), whilst others are very slow with little skill involved (the 2006 1 for 1 chaos formats were quite simplistic and unskilled, notoriously)

A slower game does not have less strategy, it just has a different dynamic. Goat control for instance, due to how slow it was encouraged skilful use of key 1 or 2 card combinations and careful use of 1 of key power cards such as BLS and Mirror Force.

Faster paced mirrors between modern combo decks emphasise a different facet of the game, namely the fact that you have access to basically your entire deck from turn 1 means you have a lot more instantaneous variables to consider, but since decks have stronger recovery plays the value of a single card in modern formats is lessened, this changes the dynamic of skilled play, but that’s all it is, a dynamic.

Modern yugioh takes more knowledge of steps to combos, but this results arguably in less skilled play in one sense because if you have a good mechanical memory you can get fairly far at locals assuming you win dice rolls.

That’s a straw man however and moder yugioh at the highest levels of play can be really really intricate in terms of the considerations. Both players being able to play what they want immediately requires you to have to laterally engage with many different facets of the game and have an awareness of resources, this immediacy is strategy.

Conversely, goat format values individual cards much more and so the emphasis is on long term planning and card advantage, the exponential effects of plays you make on turn 1 and what they might due in turn 20 must be considered.

Both take considerable amounts of skill at the top level.

The « historical decks » you’re referring to online are probably just 40badcards.dek being played by the No Xyz/No Pend/No Sync crowd, so you have a warped view of what older decks even looked like. The fact you bring up « banned cards till exodia » shows you really don’t have a grasp of what the competitive scene looked like pre The Duelist Genesis.

It’a extremely ignorant to equate older decks being unable to meet modern ones which have been aided by 20 years of power creep with the statement that all of competitive yugioh had no or very little strategy between the release of the Legend of Blue Eyes through Glad Beast format.

You’re flat out wrong here.
(edited 4 years ago)
Arc v was one of my favs to see loved the story not digging vrains atm though

Quick Reply

Latest