The Student Room Group

Huge reduction in my Student maintenance loan

I applied for second BA fashion degree course, and they cut £900 short for my second year, the rent is getting higher, and I need to pay a lot for my fabric materials. I called them, and they said because of my parent’s household income, they earned a little bit more than last year, but not much.what should I I do? Anyone has same situation with me?
Original post by Summer06
I applied for second BA fashion degree course, and they cut £900 short for my second year, the rent is getting higher, and I need to pay a lot for my fabric materials. I called them, and they said because of my parent’s household income, they earned a little bit more than last year, but not much.what should I I do? Anyone has same situation with me?

check what they have calculated is correct, do you know how much your parents income had increased?
Mine was cut by around £500, it's not much but it could have been a months rent.
Does your university offer bursaries? That's always worth checking out, it'll differ from uni to uni though.
Reply 3
Original post by MidgetFever
Mine was cut by around £500, it's not much but it could have been a months rent.
Does your university offer bursaries? That's always worth checking out, it'll differ from uni to uni though.

I think they do. I am going to check, does it depend on my parent income as well?
Reply 4
Original post by claireestelle
check what they have calculated is correct, do you know how much your parents income had increased?

Just about £1000, it’s not much. Also, my parent don’t support me

have you already got a student overdraft?
Reply 6
Original post by claireestelle
have you already got a student overdraft?

Yes, I have £1000 overdraft. Do you know it’s per term, or per year?

that's not really how it works though. irrelevant of external support or the costs of your course, it is what it is and no personal circumstances (short of disability or dependants) will change your entitlement.
I think they do. I am going to check, does it depend on my parent income as well?

As I said, it will differ from uni to uni so it's best to check their website/handbook
like, some bursary will be based on income, some won't.
For example, my uni gives £500 a year if you come from what's considered a "deprived" area.
Yes, I have £1000 overdraft. Do you know it’s per term, or per year?

per year for most banks, but they might be able to give you a bit of an increase for second year.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending