The Student Room Group

History a level coursework and exam

So I got a D in my History coursework, close to a C though apparently, I really messed it up. Is there a chance I could still get a B overall in my history?
It would be very difficult in honesty.

You're gonna have to look at the grade boundaries for your exam board. I do Edexcel and need 259/300 (this score included coursework and papers) to get an A. I scraped a B in my coursework (30/40 on the Russian revolution) and to get an A overall, I can only drop 13 marks in each paper, to get the 259/300. It's very hard even having a B in coursework, and I'm not sure I'll do it, but I'm gonna give it my best shot! Just try not to let the fear of not getting the grade you want to overtake your focus in the exam. Good luck! :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Sydney1520
It would be very difficult in honesty.

You're gonna have to look at the grade boundaries for your exam board. I do Edexcel and need 259/300 (this score included coursework and papers) to get an A. I scraped a B in my coursework (30/40 on the Russian revolution) and to get an A overall, I can only drop 13 marks in each paper, to get the 259/300. It's very hard even having a B in coursework, and I'm not sure I'll do it, but I'm gonna give it my best shot! Just try not to let the fear of not getting the grade you want to overtake your focus in the exam. Good luck! :smile:

It is going to be hard I know:frown: I was over the word count by 1500 words and that screwed me over big time. I do AQA and the grade boundaries for Tudors tend to be lower than American history which is my other topic. That’s impressive you got a B, well done!!
you have to remember that your coursework is still moderated by the exam board, it could go up, especially if it's only a few marks! My history teacher basically conditioned me to think i was guaranteed an A with the standard of my coursework and graded it a B, two marks off an A, very frustrating. My biggest struggle was my word count!! I deleted 2000 words before it fit! :biggrin: It will be difficult, but not impossible by any means! I do the Tudors, America and South Africa for Edexcel, the grade boundaries are lower for my Tudors component too. I'm sure you'll smash it!
Original post by yaspp
It is going to be hard I know:frown: I was over the word count by 1500 words and that screwed me over big time. I do AQA and the grade boundaries for Tudors tend to be lower than American history which is my other topic. That’s impressive you got a B, well done!!
Reply 4
Original post by Sydney1520
you have to remember that your coursework is still moderated by the exam board, it could go up, especially if it's only a few marks! My history teacher basically conditioned me to think i was guaranteed an A with the standard of my coursework and graded it a B, two marks off an A, very frustrating. My biggest struggle was my word count!! I deleted 2000 words before it fit! :biggrin: It will be difficult, but not impossible by any means! I do the Tudors, America and South Africa for Edexcel, the grade boundaries are lower for my Tudors component too. I'm sure you'll smash it!

Oh yeah I forgot it gets moderated! I’m not sure if it will change though. That’s good getting a B well done!! I didn’t think word count would be that much of an issue since mine all made sense and if I cut parts out it wouldn’t make sense. I’m trying to forget about it now, as Tudor grade boundaries are lower for AQA too! Not sure with American Dream though. I’m just going to try my best and see what happens
I'm sure you'll be absolutely fine! I'm hoping the grade boundaries for the American dream exam are lower after that atrocity of an exam yesterday aha. But best of luck! Everyone I have spoken to has said that they've always performed better than they thought when they pick up their results, so I'm just hoping!! What university did you want to go to?
Original post by yaspp
Oh yeah I forgot it gets moderated! I’m not sure if it will change though. That’s good getting a B well done!! I didn’t think word count would be that much of an issue since mine all made sense and if I cut parts out it wouldn’t make sense. I’m trying to forget about it now, as Tudor grade boundaries are lower for AQA too! Not sure with American Dream though. I’m just going to try my best and see what happens
Original post by yaspp
So I got a D in my History coursework, close to a C though apparently, I really messed it up. Is there a chance I could still get a B overall in my history?

Tbf you should be getting an A or min a B for coursework because you have near infinite time to do it.
Do you understand where you went wrong, because I would be concerned some of the weaknesses will be carried across. I hope teacher gave some feedback and explained why you fell short.

I can probably guess, but back to your question.

Yes you can still get a B because the exams are 4x more important than the coursework.
To a large extent other than learning from the feedback, then you need to forget about it and become determined.

You will need to bridge the gap so perform more like at B+/A- level across your exams to repair the damage.
How have you been scoring in mocks?
Are you capable of writing A- essays, have you got good notes? Have you practised exams? Have you got your timings right?

My biggest tip is simply to read the question carefully and understand it.
If you dont then read it again.
If you still dont then break it down into its component parts and highlight the important action words. There is usually very little waste in the essay title so each word is usually telling you what they are looking for. That defines the answer they want, once its gone in then your essay has great scope for you to be individual and make it your own.

In your introduction how will you go about conducting your investigation?
What is the dilemma, what are the issues?
When you explore them are they the relevant ones and in a logical order?
Do you have relevant evidence and facts?
In your analysis do you understand why its significant and what is the significance or importance.

Is there an opposing view?

Evaluate. That means reflect on the question and start moving to a conclusion.
You can also spice it up commenting on what you found, other peoples views and why you reached the conclusion you did.

If you do all that to a good to high standard you will get a good mark.
If you cut corners, fail to understand, have a poor investigation, use evidence poorly or not at all, identify the wrong issues, fail to discuss things n sufficient depth, ignore the question, fail to provide a credible evaluation then you will get a poor mark.

They are interested in what you think and why. They are less worried about dates and lists of facts, they are more interested in why things happened, the consequences, how and why you formed your opinion. If you cant be bothered, then they wont be bothered in you. Have an opinion , just back it up.

The other different one is your source question. beyond that if you do all your essays bearing in mind the above, then you can still make the grade, so be determined and GL.
Reply 7
Original post by 999tigger
Tbf you should be getting an A or min a B for coursework because you have near infinite time to do it.
Do you understand where you went wrong, because I would be concerned some of the weaknesses will be carried across. I hope teacher gave some feedback and explained why you fell short.

I can probably guess, but back to your question.

Yes you can still get a B because the exams are 4x more important than the coursework.
To a large extent other than learning from the feedback, then you need to forget about it and become determined.

You will need to bridge the gap so perform more like at B+/A- level across your exams to repair the damage.
How have you been scoring in mocks?
Are you capable of writing A- essays, have you got good notes? Have you practised exams? Have you got your timings right?

My biggest tip is simply to read the question carefully and understand it.
If you dont then read it again.
If you still dont then break it down into its component parts and highlight the important action words. There is usually very little waste in the essay title so each word is usually telling you what they are looking for. That defines the answer they want, once its gone in then your essay has great scope for you to be individual and make it your own.

In your introduction how will you go about conducting your investigation?
What is the dilemma, what are the issues?
When you explore them are they the relevant ones and in a logical order?
Do you have relevant evidence and facts?
In your analysis do you understand why its significant and what is the significance or importance.

Is there an opposing view?

Evaluate. That means reflect on the question and start moving to a conclusion.
You can also spice it up commenting on what you found, other peoples views and why you reached the conclusion you did.

If you do all that to a good to high standard you will get a good mark.
If you cut corners, fail to understand, have a poor investigation, use evidence poorly or not at all, identify the wrong issues, fail to discuss things n sufficient depth, ignore the question, fail to provide a credible evaluation then you will get a poor mark.

They are interested in what you think and why. They are less worried about dates and lists of facts, they are more interested in why things happened, the consequences, how and why you formed your opinion. If you cant be bothered, then they wont be bothered in you. Have an opinion , just back it up.

The other different one is your source question. beyond that if you do all your essays bearing in mind the above, then you can still make the grade, so be determined and GL.

I’ve been getting high B’s/low A’s in my mocks. I think my Tudors yesterday went okay. I’m okay with exams and like timings and stuff, I manage to complete my essays in the given time and I make sure I spend enough on each question if you know what I mean.

Basically with my coursework I was 1500 words over, and we did get feedback but all my feedback was to make adjustments to points, more analysis and extend primary source evaluation and conclusion, which just extended my word count even more. I didn’t really know how to go about cutting it down, I probably should’ve asked the teacher but whenever I had to edit it, it just kept making the word count go way more above the limit. I didn’t think it would be that much of an issue since my feedback didn’t include much about the word count, like I knew it would potentially affect my AO1 but I didn’t think it would do that much damage:frown: I got 19 overall...I can’t remember the exact mark per AO but it knocked me down as I did work really hard on it.
Original post by yaspp
I’ve been getting high B’s/low A’s in my mocks. I think my Tudors yesterday went okay. I’m okay with exams and like timings and stuff, I manage to complete my essays in the given time and I make sure I spend enough on each question if you know what I mean.

Basically with my coursework I was 1500 words over, and we did get feedback but all my feedback was to make adjustments to points, more analysis and extend primary source evaluation and conclusion, which just extended my word count even more. I didn’t really know how to go about cutting it down, I probably should’ve asked the teacher but whenever I had to edit it, it just kept making the word count go way more above the limit. I didn’t think it would be that much of an issue since my feedback didn’t include much about the word count, like I knew it would potentially affect my AO1 but I didn’t think it would do that much damage:frown: I got 19 overall...I can’t remember the exact mark per AO but it knocked me down as I did work really hard on it.

Done now and you cant change it.
I dont know if thats what killed you.
Word limits arent there for amusement. Follow the rules and know the error of margin, usually 0-5-10%.
Thats why you have a clear plan and then drafts, because editing is a pain, but you write to the limit. No paragraph is as importnat as you think or cant be simplified. You needed an outside eye to just say thats irrelevant or repeats itself.

Cant change any of that, get off TSR, revise or chill as needed. Do 10/12/15 min essay plans.
Reply 9
Done now and you cant change it.
I dont know if thats what killed you.
Word limits arent there for amusement. Follow the rules and know the error of margin, usually 0-5-10%.
Thats why you have a clear plan and then drafts, because editing is a pain, but you write to the limit. No paragraph is as importnat as you think or cant be simplified. You needed an outside eye to just say thats irrelevant or repeats itself.

Cant change any of that, get off TSR, revise or chill as needed. Do 10/12/15 min essay plans.

I know I can’t change it, that’s why I’m trying not to beat myself up about it. I tried to reduce my word count and cut things out, and I managed to cut about 700 words down before handing it back in, but every time I got feedback I had to add more bits to it so that just increased it again. I’m thankful it’s finished, even though I didn’t do as well as I wanted to, it’s 20% and hopefully with my Tudor paper from yesterday which I’m feeling relatively okay about, along with my American paper which is after half term, I’m hoping I can repair the damage.
Original post by yaspp
I know I can’t change it, that’s why I’m trying not to beat myself up about it. I tried to reduce my word count and cut things out, and I managed to cut about 700 words down before handing it back in, but every time I got feedback I had to add more bits to it so that just increased it again. I’m thankful it’s finished, even though I didn’t do as well as I wanted to, it’s 20% and hopefully with my Tudor paper from yesterday which I’m feeling relatively okay about, along with my American paper which is after half term, I’m hoping I can repair the damage.

I was trying to give you some focus and advice on how to approach the rest. GL with the exam.
Reply 11
I was trying to give you some focus and advice on how to approach the rest. GL with the exam.

I know and thank you! I appreciate it a lot:smile:
hey, i was just reading your thread and was wondering whether you managed the b. currently like 3 hours before my own history coursework is due lol

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending