The Student Room Group

Does BBB = ABC?

A-level grades

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Lostx
A-level grades

Its the same ucas points wise but it won't be seen as the same in the view of some universities.
Reply 2
Original post by claireestelle
Its the same ucas points wise but it won't be seen as the same in the view of some universities.

Would medical schools not count ABC as BBB?
Original post by Lostx

Almost certainly not since you've still missed one of your grades. I'm assuming this is for a foundation degree or a widening access degree?
Original post by Lostx

No, if they say ucas points your offer would reflect that, if it says BBB it means BBB
Original post by Lostx

Nope, but what medical school is offering you BBB for A100?!
Reply 6
Original post by mnot
No, if they say ucas points your offer would reflect that, if it says BBB it means BBB

I know but in a way it averages out. I got over the B, but also under the B. The UCAS points are the same. Seems a bit unfair tbh.
Original post by Democracy
Almost certainly not since you've still missed one of your grades. I'm assuming this is for a foundation degree or a widening access degree?

Yes, foundation degree.
Original post by Lostx
I know but in a way it averages out. I got over the B, but also under the B. The UCAS points are the same. Seems a bit unfair tbh.

Yes, foundation degree.

Its not unfair, BBB is a very low offer for medicine to begin with, If they gave you a UCAS points offer it would probably equal a higher tariff. top Unis/programs dont want C grades, sorry if this isn't what you want to hear just do your best and get the best grades possible
Original post by Lostx

When you apply to a sixth form and they ask you for your GPA or APS or whatever it averages out as you say, but AFAIK it doesn't work the same way if they ask for specific grades.
Original post by Lostx

OK - you answered my question about medicine/foundation degree in another post. As to the 'unfair' thing, it's really not. For example, do you think they should accept A*BD in lieu of ABC? Same UCAS points....

There needs to be a baseline level of attainment across all three subjects you're doing - this is why BBB is not necessarily equivalent to ABC. It's not just a numeric calculation of UCAS points.
Reply 10
Original post by Reality Check
Nope, but what medical school is offering you BBB for A100?!

A lot of med schools offer lower grade boundaries to a select few who have the capability but not the academics.
Woah, red flag here. Where did you get that from? This would be rarer than hen's teeth, there would be exceptional circumstances.
Original post by Lostx
A lot of med schools offer lower grade boundaries to a select few who have the capability but not the academics.
Reply 12
Oh well, guess I should reconsider my life. :getmecoat:

How can I though? Being a doctor is all I have ever wanted to do.
Original post by Lostx

Yes, but not a C grade. Not that I've seen. A contextual offer for A100 might be AAB - ABB, but you're not doing medicine anyway, are you? You're doing a foundation course. In any case, I think ABC is a non-starter, I'm afraid. Best to check with the university though, rather than TSR.
Reply 14
Original post by TheRealSquiddy
Woah, red flag here. Where did you get that from? This would be rarer than hen's teeth, there would be exceptional circumstances.

There are a few med schools which offer lower grade boundaries, widening access and foundation years for example.
Reply 15
Not answering the question but curious for myself. I've applied for uni of Leeds to study maths and my offer is ABC. I do maths, further maths and economics. Let's say I got A*A*D with A*s in maths and further maths. How would that hinder my chances of being accepted?
Reply 16
The foundation course is pretty much medicine, as successful completion of the course means you automatically get onto a Medicine course.
Yes, but not a C grade. Not that I've seen. A contextual offer for A100 might be AAB - ABB, but you're not doing medicine anyway, are you? You're doing a foundation course. In any case, I think ABC is a non-starter, I'm afraid. Best to check with the university though, rather than TSR.

Couldn't agree more, the reality is it would also be unfair on top applicants who just miss out on a place then go smash it and get AAAA or A*A*A etc. to let in someone with a C in.

OP work hard you don't know what grade you get yill August dont give up, IF you don't get the required grades their is always GEM in a couple years time.
Reply 18
What would happen if I didn’t declare all of my grades? I would keep the A and B, include an A from my EPQ, and I am hoping to get an A* in the course I am taking. So in total I would have A*AB
Original post by Lostx
What would happen if I didn’t declare all of my grades? I would keep the A and B, include an A from my EPQ, and I am hoping to get an A* in the course I am taking. So in total I would have A*AB

exam boards send your grades straight to ucas, they also require formal confirmation. If its not received they will tell u to bring your certificates when you do your in-person registration, they may ask you to do this anyway.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending