The Student Room Group

National 5 Geography 2018/19

Scroll to see replies

Thank you! I had a look on Bitesize last night and there wasn’t anything on it. I’m assuming they’re just looking for general knowledge with these questions but that’s not exactly ideal when you don’t know what the SQA are looking for, but I’ll definitely be using the marking schemes for my notes 😊
Original post by nat5dawg
Have you had any luck looking at bitesize?

Last year for N5 Geography I also had the same issue with not being taught certain parts - but for development indicators I just looked at the marking schemes and made my notes from them. If I can find them, I'll send a screenshot of the notes I had on indicators - not great but it's better than nothing I guess :smile:
Hey guys! I was just wondering for Formation questions do you need to describe a process of erosion or deposition? Eg plucking, abrasion
Original post by Catriona23
Hey guys! I was just wondering for Formation questions do you need to describe a process of erosion or deposition? Eg plucking, abrasion

I usually do in hope of gaining another mark
(edited 4 years ago)
hey!
for questions where it's like 'explain the formation of ...' out teacher always says you need to explain the processes involved eg if it was glaciation then at some point in the question you would need to explain the processes of plucking and abrasion (and maybe freeze-thaw weathering). Although it says this in one of the marking schemes:
Question: Explain the formation of a U-shaped valley.
A glacier moves down a main valley which it erodes (1 mark) by plucking, where the ice freezes
on to fragments of rock and pulls them away. (second mark for development).
So yh I always explain the processes but I don't think it's essential like if you got the marks elsewhere or had a really well-annotated diagram.
Thanks! I’ve chucked in a description of plucking just in case lol. Better to cover my bases
Original post by pineapplepink
hey!
for questions where it's like 'explain the formation of ...' out teacher always says you need to explain the processes involved eg if it was glaciation then at some point in the question you would need to explain the processes of plucking and abrasion (and maybe freeze-thaw weathering). Although it says this in one of the marking schemes:
Question: Explain the formation of a U-shaped valley.
A glacier moves down a main valley which it erodes (1 mark) by plucking, where the ice freezes
on to fragments of rock and pulls them away. (second mark for development).
So yh I always explain the processes but I don't think it's essential like if you got the marks elsewhere or had a really well-annotated diagram.
lol yh that's probably a good idea:lol:
it's ok tho because we get almost 2 and a half hours
Thanks! I’ve chucked in a description of plucking just in case lol. Better to cover my bases
(edited 4 years ago)
Idk I find timing quite tricky. Think i’ll have about 10 minutes left at the end judging by timed past papers and the Prelim
Original post by pineapplepink
lol yh that's probably a good idea:lol:
it's ok tho because we get almost 2 and a half hours
Is it fine for formation questions to use a diagram, and label my explanations? I do rivers so it would be for a waterfall, v-shapes valley etc
Yes but you need to make sure your diagrams have really detailed annotations. I would recommend writing a paragraph to go along with it too.
Original post by thepunmaster.e
Is it fine for formation questions to use a diagram, and label my explanations? I do rivers so it would be for a waterfall, v-shapes valley etc
For anyone doing limestone, do we have to know gorges and footpath erosion? They aren’t on the sqa specification but it’s from 2017/2018 so I’m wondering if they were added this year?
For anyone doing limestone, do we have to know gorges and footpath erosion? They aren’t on the sqa specification but it’s from 2017/2018 so I’m wondering if they were added this year?

No for limestone you just need to know the formations of limestone pavements, swallowholes and potholes, caves, stalagmites and stalactites. Then I think the only erosion process you need to be able to explain is chemical weathering.
Reply 31
See for the rural topic are u guys learning ALL the sub topics for the changes in rural farming ? Like GM crops, diversification, organic farming, government policy or just any two of them ?
Hi guys I was just wondering if anyone else was doing health, and in that if we have to explain the effects of heart disease and the causes of malaria because my teacher hasn’t given me any notes on it?
Yeah, learning a bit of each just in case
Original post by Hermion
See for the rural topic are u guys learning ALL the sub topics for the changes in rural farming ? Like GM crops, diversification, organic farming, government policy or just any two of them ?
I don't remember going over it but we have notes about the causes, effects and solutions. The notes are pretty basic but I haven't seen any past paper questions on them.
Original post by Skoolsuxs
Hi guys I was just wondering if anyone else was doing health, and in that if we have to explain the effects of heart disease and the causes of malaria because my teacher hasn’t given me any notes on it?
yeah u do, for heart disease effects it could be life expectancy, inability to work, economical issues for families, higher healthcare demand, inheritable so ur kids can get it, heart attack/stroke/obesity. for malaria causes it can be temperature between 15 and 40, humidity above 60%, stagnant water, shade, moderate to high rainfall and if u dont cover ur skin. I'm sure theres others but thats what im learning :smile:
Original post by Skoolsuxs
I don’t think my class was told a named area for the rainforest, someone help! 😭 I think we have barrow, Alaska for the tundra but I have no idea for the rainforest
I didn’t do that topic but the Amazon Rainforest, Brazil.
I don’t think my class was told a named area for the rainforest, someone help! 😭 I think we have barrow, Alaska for the tundra but I have no idea for the rainforest
Anyone else the most nervous for this exam? I feel a little underprepared
I just feel like everything is swirling around in my head, we’ll see how much of it I’m able to write down, I feel like the marking schemes are pretty hard too

Quick Reply