Help Me With Uni Choices Watch

thoughtcriminal
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
So I'm in Year 12 and was originally planning to take a year out after sixth form. However, I live in a really sh*tty and extremely rough area so I don't particularly want to stay here for another year tbh.

For A levels I'm studying Biology, Chemistry and Maths, and I'm thinking of applying for something like Biology, Chemistry, Geography or Paramedic Science (maybe). I'm pretty confident I could get a place on one of these courses. Predicted A*A*A*, might be doing an EPQ next year too. Got a few extra curriculars/reading under my belt too.

Anyway, as the title says can someone please help me choose some universities? I've looked online a lot but I don't know where to start. I know I have til next January to apply but I'd rather start as soon as possible because I'm now applying a year earlier than originally intended.

I want to live somewhere safe and not rough. I like places with parks/green space. Somewhere with things going on (not just nightlife) in the community. Has to be friendly. Not extremely expensive because I'm pretty skint.

They're the main things. I'd really appreciate it if people could give me some suggestions as I haven't really been to many places so don't know what they're like. Cheers.
swanseajack1
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Bath, Exeter and Lancaster are quite green places although Bath and Exeter might be a bit expensive. You could also check out financial support if your parents are on low income. With your grades Oxbridge would de an option. London universities might be best to give a miss as they are expensive to live in and it is not a particularly friendly city. Given your comments I would avoid major cities like Manchester, Birmingham, Leeds and Liverpool. Durham is a small city with an outstanding university and might be worth looking at although comments on here suggest it is not particularly friendly. Paramedic science is not offered in many places so you would need to check that out.
ageshallnot
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by thoughtcriminal)
So I'm in Year 12 and was originally planning to take a year out after sixth form. However, I live in a really sh*tty and extremely rough area so I don't particularly want to stay here for another year tbh.

For A levels I'm studying Biology, Chemistry and Maths, and I'm thinking of applying for something like Biology, Chemistry, Geography or Paramedic Science (maybe). I'm pretty confident I could get a place on one of these courses. Predicted A*A*A*, might be doing an EPQ next year too. Got a few extra curriculars/reading under my belt too.

Anyway, as the title says can someone please help me choose some universities? I've looked online a lot but I don't know where to start. I know I have til next January to apply but I'd rather start as soon as possible because I'm now applying a year earlier than originally intended.

I want to live somewhere safe and not rough. I like places with parks/green space. Somewhere with things going on (not just nightlife) in the community. Has to be friendly. Not extremely expensive because I'm pretty skint.

They're the main things. I'd really appreciate it if people could give me some suggestions as I haven't really been to many places so don't know what they're like. Cheers.
If you like paramedic science and are predicted A*A*A*, why not medicine?
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
ajj2000
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

Have you worked out how much funding you would get? If your parents are on a low income its worth considering which universities give bursaries. If you might be very short of money, the availability of part time work is important.
thoughtcriminal
Rep:
?
(Original post by swanseajack1)
Bath, Exeter and Lancaster are quite green places although Bath and Exeter might be a bit expensive. You could also check out financial support if your parents are on low income. With your grades Oxbridge would de an option. London universities might be best to give a miss as they are expensive to live in and it is not a particularly friendly city. Given your comments I would avoid major cities like Manchester, Birmingham, Leeds and Liverpool. Durham is a small city with an outstanding university and might be worth looking at although comments on here suggest it is not particularly friendly. Paramedic science is not offered in many places so you would need to check that out.
Thanks! I'll check those places out.

(Original post by ageshallnot)
If you like paramedic science and are predicted A*A*A*, why not medicine?
Idk really. The thought of being a doctor is scary I guess? And also I don't have any medical work experience (suppose I could get some though).

(Original post by ajj2000)
Have you worked out how much funding you would get? If your parents are on a low income its worth considering which universities give bursaries. If you might be very short of money, the availability of part time work is important.
My parents earn a lot but they won't help out with financial stuff. My maintenance loan will be just over £4k.
ajj2000
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

My parents earn a lot but they won't help out with financial stuff. My maintenance loan will be just over £4k.
Ok - thats tough. If you want to go straight to university you'll need part time work. Its worth factoring that into your thoughts. Some places are far easier to find work than others. Do you parents know that they are expected to contribute?
thoughtcriminal
Rep:
?
Ok - thats tough. If you want to go straight to university you'll need part time work. Its worth factoring that into your thoughts. Some places are far easier to find work than others. Do you parents know that they are expected to contribute?
Yeah, I'm trying to find a part time job atm. And yes they do, but they just don't care tbh so it's not going to happen.
ajj2000
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yeah, I'm trying to find a part time job atm. And yes they do, but they just don't care tbh so it's not going to happen.
Where are you from? It can be helpful to live somewhere easy to get home from. Saves money, and helps you to find work in your university town as you are available all year round.
thoughtcriminal
Rep:
?
Where are you from? It can be helpful to live somewhere easy to get home from. Saves money, and helps you to find work in your university town as you are available all year round.
Don't want to say specifically but on NW coast. Not too far away from places like Manchester, Leeds, Liverpool, Lancaster.
Scotney
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Have they actually said they will not contribute. What reason do they give. Do they not want you to go to uni?
Scotney
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
But York is good for Biology, super friendly and supportive about part-time jobs. Safe city lovely green campus. Son managed on £6000 but lived off campus. Cheap accomodation on site would wipe out the 4000.But president of student union worked in bakery part-time and played for their football team
(Original post by Scotney)
Have they actually said they will not contribute. What reason do they give. Do they not want you to go to uni?
thoughtcriminal
Rep:
?
Yes, they've said they aren't going to contribute. They're pretty selfish people, spending their money on cars and takeaways most of the time.

They said "get a job" which is really difficult when living in a place with one of the UKs highest unemployment rates. Was gonna take a year out to get a FT job but I just can't - this place is such a sh*thole and I need to get out.

But York is good for Biology, super friendly and supportive about part-time jobs. Safe city lovely green campus. Son managed on £6000 but lived off campus. Cheap accomodation on site would wipe out the 4000.But president of student union worked in bakery part-time and played for their football team
Thanks, will take a look at York.
swanseajack1
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Bath in particular and also Exeter to a lesser extent are tourist traps so there maybe jobs available. Most universities offer help as well so worth checking that out. The bigger question is how are you going to get to university. Are you parents prepared to drive you otherwise staying in the North and looking at the likes of Lancaster and York might be an option. With your grades you are likely to get many offers. Good luck.
swanseajack1
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Some universities offer bursaries for high grades. I know Swansea do and that is a very green campus
harrysbar
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
York and Lancaster are both lovely so I would book yourself onto both Open Days this summer if you can (June or September). York has a bit more going on - Lancaster is a pretty small city but the uni is nice and the people in the city and uni are nice and friendly. Sheffield is also an attractive student city and a good uni.
thoughtcriminal
Rep:
?
(Original post by swanseajack1)
Bath in particular and also Exeter to a lesser extent are tourist traps so there maybe jobs available. Most universities offer help as well so worth checking that out. The bigger question is how are you going to get to university. Are you parents prepared to drive you otherwise staying in the North and looking at the likes of Lancaster and York might be an option. With your grades you are likely to get many offers. Good luck.
Thanks

(Original post by harrysbar)
York and Lancaster are both lovely so I would book yourself onto both Open Days this summer if you can (June or September). York has a bit more going on - Lancaster is a pretty small city but the uni is nice and the people in the city and uni are nice and friendly. Sheffield is also an attractive student city and a good uni.
I've taken a look at Lancaster and York - they look really nice. I'm going to a Lancaster open day soon too. Are they safe places to live? Low crime etc?
swanseajack1
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
all 4 are in the top 1/2 for safe universities

https://www.thecompleteuniversitygui...ies-and-towns/
Scotney
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
York is really safe and the city is very small and super friendly.
Thanks

I've taken a look at Lancaster and York - they look really nice. I'm going to a Lancaster open day soon too. Are they safe places to live? Low crime etc?
HClements226
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
im hoping to go to Durham this year to do Biology - the city is small but very green and safe. Newcastle is only 10 mins on the train where theres lots going on and also the North is cheaper than the South. i know its not for everyone and i cant talk from experience but it sounds like maybe you should consider it?

harrysbar
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yes, very safe places to live.

My daughter went to Lancaster for her degree and loved it there - though the remoteness of it took a little bit of getting used to since we are from a big city. Still, she found the local people so friendly and did not encounter any crime while she was there. Also, accommodation in the city is cheap.

I believe that York is a more expensive city to live but also prettier and livelier with more part time job opportunities.

I agree with the above suggestion that Durham would be a good Uni to consider too if you are looking for somewhere small and safe and relatively cheap to live. It would be the most prestigious of the 3, if that's important to you.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

What are your favourite crisps?

Kettle Chips (43)
16.6%
McCoys Salt and Vinegar (19)
7.34%
McCoys Flame Grilled Steak (17)