Send a letter to an Long Distance ex?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
Here me out!
So he's going through A LOT! His life is pretty much going downhill pretty fast, but as Student Room doesn't let u say mental health. He's got a mental health issue, so he broke up with me so he didn't bring me down etc etc. We have reasons, anyway we're deeply in love, and we're desperate to get back together but quoting from him "As long as I have this depression I can't have a relationship" Which makes sense.

Anyway! To the point, I want to send a letter to him saying all the reasons why I love him and all the cheesy things like that, we talked about sending letters before but he wasn't that keen on it for some reason, something about money or something?

But my point is, should I just send it to him anyway without even telling him? or be like "hey! I wrote a letter for you and I'm thinking of sending it? only if you want it of course!" or is that too weird!? Idk what to do, but I really love the idea of sending a letter to him...

Idk? Opinions? Send the letter and tell him before to see what he thinks? or send the letter without him knowing as a "surprise"? or just hold the letter off altogether?

Thanks!
Tootles
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Here me out!
So he's going through A LOT! His life is pretty much going downhill pretty fast, but as Student Room doesn't let u say mental health. He's got a mental health issue, so he broke up with me so he didn't bring me down etc etc. We have reasons, anyway we're deeply in love, and we're desperate to get back together but quoting from him "As long as I have this depression I can't have a relationship" Which makes sense.

Anyway! To the point, I want to send a letter to him saying all the reasons why I love him and all the cheesy things like that, we talked about sending letters before but he wasn't that keen on it for some reason, something about money or something?

But my point is, should I just send it to him anyway without even telling him? or be like "hey! I wrote a letter for you and I'm thinking of sending it? only if you want it of course!" or is that too weird!? Idk what to do, but I really love the idea of sending a letter to him...

Idk? Opinions? Send the letter and tell him before to see what he thinks? or send the letter without him knowing as a "surprise"? or just hold the letter off altogether?

Thanks!
No it doesn't. Depression and anxiety are like alcoholism - one you have them, you're stuck with them. All you can ever do is learn to cope.

Write the letter, put it away for a week, and then reread it with fresh eyes. If it looks pathetic, edit it and then put it away. Rinse and repeat until nothing in there looks pathetic/silly. Then send it. There is something romantic in sneding/receiving letters, especially if they're written by hand (though I'd recommend composing on a computer, editing, and then copying out when you're happy with it - this is how I do handwritten letters), and it'll certainly mean something to him, even if he doesn't agree and doens't respond.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
Very true, all you have to do is learn to cope with it.

Ye that's a good point actually, i'll dot that. And the computer thing sounds more like me, i'll do that! I have no idea how he'll react that's the thing...hmm
(Original post by Tootles)
No it doesn't. Depression and anxiety are like alcoholism - one you have them, you're stuck with them. All you can ever do is learn to cope.

Write the letter, put it away for a week, and then reread it with fresh eyes. If it looks pathetic, edit it and then put it away. Rinse and repeat until nothing in there looks pathetic/silly. Then send it. There is something romantic in sneding/receiving letters, especially if they're written by hand (though I'd recommend composing on a computer, editing, and then copying out when you're happy with it - this is how I do handwritten letters), and it'll certainly mean something to him, even if he doesn't agree and doens't respond.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now? (select all that apply)

Lack of purpose or routine (279)
15.35%
Uncertainty around my education (284)
15.62%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (180)
9.9%
Isolating with family (128)
7.04%
Lack of support system (eg. Teachers, counsellors) (83)
4.57%
Lack of exercise/ability to be outside (152)
8.36%
Loneliness (179)
9.85%
Financial worries (75)
4.13%
Concern about myself or my loved ones getting ill (168)
9.24%
Exposure to negative news/social media (131)
7.21%
Lack of real life entertainment (eg. cinema, gigs, restaurants) (159)
8.75%

Watched Threads