The Student Room Group

Need serious HELP

My IGCSE english B exam is on 4th of june, but I'm scared I wont be able to do well. Are there any tips for revising or any thing i should definitely do in this twelve day gap?
Reply 1
Past Papers. Look at the MS and see what point they include. Also, I usually learn the structure of examples. I'm in Northern Ireland so we have CCEA exams, and the general structure to answer a question is P.E.E, point, evidence and explain. This might be stuff you've already heard but it really works
Perhaps I should have mentioned this, but I really struggle with the essay and story part. I mean i can get a 30+ in section A but in the other two i hardly ever get more than 18.
Reply 3
For the essay part, try look up a range of different essay structures, we have one like a hamburger, so the top bun is your opening evidence and convincing argument for whatever technique used. Your middle, burger, is you bulking that out and convincing your point of view on the question. The last bottom bap is like rounding it off and saying, the writer has successfully/ unsuccessfully used this technique (or whatever it is) (sorry this is really hard to explain) And for the creative writing stuff, just do a little spin off of your favourite less well known TV show. I did mine on Lucifer on my mock exams
Original post by AnythingWorks
Perhaps I should have mentioned this, but I really struggle with the essay and story part. I mean i can get a 30+ in section A but in the other two i hardly ever get more than 18.
By essay I actually meant a speech, article or letter. And in the creative writing section, the vocabulary is very basic. Like I cant use any words for saying except telling and asking.
Reply 5
Speeches I physically hate, just look up persuasive techniques and stick a bunch in, in a persuasive style. And creative writing, I'd probably just find a bunch of those lists that give like more creative alternatives to words. English is the worst, its all up from there
Thanks!
Reply 7
I am doing the exam on the 4th june and stressing I have done it before without revision. for section B is it always letter, article and speech? OR more please help me

Quick Reply

Latest